Can someone explain this....................?

2»

Comments

• Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    You are all wrong. When I ride my bike, I am completely stationary, not moving at all, but the awesome power of my pedalling moves the rest of the universe past me. I can turn the handlbars or lean the bike so that I can control the way the universe moves until the bit I am after gets to where I am, when I get off and go for a beer.

This may not be strictly accurate, but it makes me feel LIKE A GOD!!!!!!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    You are all wrong. When I ride my bike, I am completely stationary, not moving at all, but the awesome power of my pedalling moves the rest of the universe past me. I can turn the handlbars or lean the bike so that I can control the way the universe moves until the bit I am after gets to where I am, when I get off and go for a beer.

This may not be strictly accurate, but it makes me feel LIKE A GOD!!!!!!

This is actually completely true within your own frame of reference.....
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    Thanks BR forumiums.

My brain hurts so much I wish I hadn't asked. Not sure about the gyroscope bit but I think KB's explanation is the only one I can (almost) remotely understand so I'm sticking with that.

That was one hell of a caveman who invented the wheel.

Now the other thing that is bothering me about bikes and wheels and things is...................

When a bike is carrying a rider and the rim is rotating round the hub where is the rider's weight supported - by the spokes pressing down on the rim at the bottom of the wheel or hanging from the rim at the top..................................hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder?

Oh come on guys help me out again.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The spoke is in tension, so the spokes from hub to the top of the rim support the weight of the bike pressing down against the rim/tyre and ultimately the Earths surface below.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The spoke is in tension, so the spokes from hub to the top of the rim support the weight of the bike pressing down against the rim/tyre and ultimately the Earths surface below.

Simon

If you think of cycling at the bottom of the world (as Aussies and Kiwis habitually do) it becomes evident that the force involved is actually the weight of the planet pressing down on the bike. The only reason a bike can withstand such cosmic forces, unlike the fly on EKE's train windscreen, is because the average bike is light enough to offer such minimal resistance so that it doesn't become crushed as the world falls on it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    getprg wrote:
    Thanks BR forumiums.

My brain hurts so much I wish I hadn't asked. Not sure about the gyroscope bit but I think KB's explanation is the only one I can (almost) remotely understand so I'm sticking with that.

Now the other thing that is bothering me about bikes and wheels and things is...................

When a bike is carrying a rider and the rim is rotating round the hub where is the rider's weight supported - by the spokes pressing down on the rim at the bottom of the wheel or hanging from the rim at the top..................................hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder?

both

and neither

it depends upon your point of view.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    getprg wrote:
    Thanks BR forumiums.

Well... think about it.

At some point someone saw something rolling down a hill - rolling thing = round = tree trunk (which is round)

everything after that was just changing a basic design
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • While you're on a roll, so to speak, how come those waggon wheels in old westerns go around backwards when the wagon is going forwards?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    While you're on a roll, so to speak, how come those waggon wheels in old westerns go around backwards when the wagon is going forwards?

25 frames a second on the film reel.

If the wheel moves so that a spoke appears slightly BEHIND the previous captured image when its image is captured then the wheel will appear to move backwards.

It actually comes back to my statement of a dynamic event being seen as a series of discrete (non impacting) events. The spokes ARE rotating in time, but the independently captured images make it appear otherwise

A true optical illusion.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Lets confuse matters more by saying that the spokes in a wagon wheel (or a wagon's wheel, pick your grammatical frame of reference) are in compression whereas the spokes in a bike's wheel (or a bike wheel) is in tension.

Squirrel!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    OK, OK, I too say "+1" for the gyroscope. Now let's all get away from our computers and do some riding :)
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    janm399 wrote:
    OK, OK, I too say "+1" for the gyroscope. Now let's all get away from our computers and do some riding :)

yeah - but not in a top that makes me look like a cow!!!!
    :twisted:
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    PBo wrote:
    janm399 wrote:

yeah - but not in a top that makes me look like a cow!!!!
    :twisted:
    Cheshire camouflage--I can proceed through the countryside completely unnoticed. 8) On second thoughts, that could explain some of the bad driving.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Shaky wrote:
    Beat me to it by a minute :D

Thats what my gf always says to me!

Just a minute?

Thats what mine says to me
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Unlike SCR, it is a race, isn't it?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • diagram.gif

explains it diagramatically
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    As I understand from this the bike constantly wants to fall over, but you make it fall the other way with little corrections.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10376