Insurance

phy2sll2
phy2sll2 Posts: 680
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
My new road bike arrived two days ago but I'm too scared to ride to work on it in case it gets nicked.

Obvious solution is to get it insured. Has anybody got any experiences (positive or negative) that they can share on the different insurers providing cycle insurance?

The quotes seem very high (probably a consequence of my SE13 postcode). I hadn't factored that in to my budget for buying a bike but never mind!

I was looking at Cycleguard, E&L and ETA. Are they all much of a muchness? Have I missed other, better options?

Comments

• gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    house insurance, cycleguard or search facility
  • matt1206
    matt1206 Posts: 6
    Mine is insured through ETA.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    House insurance, but check the policy wording. Axa were really good when I had my bike pinched.
    Photograph the bike with any changes you have made and take a note of the frame number. Get the police to security mark it if they do that in your area.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    My new road bike arrived two days ago but I'm too scared to ride to work on it in case it gets nicked.

Obvious solution is to get it insured. Has anybody got any experiences (positive or negative) that they can share on the different insurers providing cycle insurance?

The quotes seem very high (probably a consequence of my SE13 postcode). I hadn't factored that in to my budget for buying a bike but never mind!

I was looking at Cycleguard, E&L and ETA. Are they all much of a muchness? Have I missed other, better options?

Lock it up properly (expensive D-lock through one wheel and the frame around something anchored solidly in the ground with no opportnity for lifting the bike over it and a wire loop through the other wheel) and NEVER leave it anywhere you can't see it unless you have a secure parking place.

If your place of work does not have a secure bike parking place, either
    1, Join the staff coucnil
    2, Join a very militant union or
    3. Threaten to leave immediately.

Or else take it into work with you.
    As in previous topics on this

CTC
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    As in previous topics on this

M&S

Although I'm with L&G, thankfully no experience of making a claim so can't comment on how good they are when I really need them but but they were happy to let me negotiate and specify the cost and elements of cover I wanted, I've got a good level of cover, personal liability etc and its only added £6+ a month to my contents premium.
  • Mine is on the house insurance, think its an extra £3pm is this averahe for a £500 bike??

Anyway covers the bike for most things, unless im rather silly with the bike :oops:
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    As per other threads:

M&S - I pay £32 pcm for home buildings and contents, including items away from home, covers any number of bikes, unspecified, up to £4k value each, including accident damage, worldwide. Forum members report good claims experience too.

A typical dedicated policy for my fleet of 9 bikes would probably cost me about £1000+ per year and offer me poorer cover :roll: (except I couldn't even get quotes for that many bikes of that value on one policy).
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

In the end, after reading lots of policy documentation, I went with ETA. They had the fewest ridiculous exclusions.

With regard to secure parking - my office has a lock-up but often my clients have a rack on the street, if anything!
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    There are a number of threads on this now. I have mine on house insurance which was an extra £1 something pm. It covers accidental damage and theft. Signed up with CTC for the other stuff. Lucky for me I have my server room to park into at work :twisted: No one plays with the boss :roll: well unless you are the next boss up :?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk