ouch. Why I must check corners for diesel spills

MattFT
MattFT Posts: 178
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Commute through Soho yesterday morning. Took a corner fast, but would have been fine had it not been for the big puddle of diesel outside a building site entrance. Front wheel immediately goes, and I'm sliding along the floor using my face as a brake. Big crack in my helemt where my head met the road and nice grazes on my face.

5640552952_7d6a6654bb.jpg

Lessons learnt:

1) don't go fast into corners which you don't know the state of
2) wear a helmet. If I hit the ground hard enough to crack the helmet, that would have hurt
3) carry a first aid kit if you have space. I left a trail of blood all the way to the office
FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
Genesis Day One Disc - commuter

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Ouch!

Show this picture to Lost_in_Thought, chicks dig scars.

Were you able to source where the diesel came from - possible lawsuit?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive said it before but chicks dig scars, it adds character

hows the bike?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • MattFT
    nope, nothing around which could have dropped the diesel. Probably from a truck from the construction site. Have to say, the builders who saw me go down were really nice. Helped me up, sat me down and went to get sand to put on the spill.

Bike is, amazingly, fine other than some ripped bar tape.

My Condor R.I.P.

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    ooh yah - Nasty fella, get well soon!

Some really bright kids around Bristol have been deliberately spilling diesel on round-a-bouts so that they can "drift" front wheel drive cars.......

Un-believable......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    gtvlusso wrote:

Some really bright kids around Bristol have been deliberately spilling diesel on round-a-bouts so that they can "drift" front wheel drive cars.......

Un-believable......

Where is this supply of diesel coming from and can I buy some.... it's gotta be less than the near to a quid 50 Tesco petrol station charges...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Un-believable......

Where is this supply of diesel coming from and can I buy some.... it's gotta be less than the near to a quid 50 Tesco petrol station charges...

probably "Red" diesel in these 'ere local parts......agricultural diesel, tax free. I paid £1.48.9 per litre last week - £125 to fill up from motorway services.

If I had known they were gonna chuck the stuff away.....may start carrying a syphon!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ouch - hope it heals quickly and painlessly. Shove some manuka honey on it - if it's good enough for the HUGE post-tumour-removal wound my son has, it'll be great for your face.

My lid saved me in a similar situation - corner right near oil depot as it happened.

Some bright anti-lid person will be along shortly to say that your face only got hurt because you were wearing a lid or some such theory.

I spun my car on diesel in Thurrock many moons ago - side-swiped the kerb on the other side of the road - fortunately nobody else involved.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:

But not beards apparently!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MattFT
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Love me, love my beard.

My Condor R.I.P.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    MattFT wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Love me, love my beard.

Yeah - you'd look a right minger without it.... :wink::lol::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • MattFT
    The Mrs. likes it. That's all that matters.

My Condor R.I.P.

• jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    ouch, brings back nasty memories

I've twice lost my front wheel on diesel and both times I wrote off my helmet. Happens very fast doesnt it?

J
  • MattFT
    jedster wrote:
    ouch, brings back nasty memories

I've twice lost my front wheel on diesel and both times I wrote off my helmet. Happens very fast doesnt it?

J

I've had some spills before, including a puncture coming down a descent in the Alp, but never anything as fast as that!

My Condor R.I.P.