Company Expenses

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Just making a mileage claim for my trip to Ashford yesterday (bloody Dartford tunnel :evil: )

and I've noticed we have new item in the list of things to claim for:

Boris Bike London Hire.

How excellent is that? :D
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Excellent. I shall book a meeting in town then, altho would really prefer one in the Darlington office (personal reasons, dontcha know...)

Maybe the guy who beat me in last year's Cycle To Work challenge by cycling 80 miles to a meeting in Basingstoke knows about this too. Good news anyway. Well spotted.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CiB wrote:
    would really prefer one in the Darlington office (personal reasons, dontcha know...)
    A receptionist? :?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:
    would really prefer one in the Darlington office (personal reasons, dontcha know...)
    A receptionist? :?

Simon
    Unlike some, you won't catch me being that indiscreet on t'tinternet. :wink: And no, not a receptionist...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Slightly off-topic, but... Does anyone know how you go about claiming tax back for miles cycled?

Understand if you're self employed and do your own tax return you can just fill in a p87 or something - what if you're normal and work as a drone in the mega-corporation?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Slightly off-topic, but... Does anyone know how you go about claiming tax back for miles cycled?

Understand if you're self employed and do your own tax return you can just fill in a p87 or something - what if you're normal and work as a drone in the mega-corporation?

Exactly the same as you would if you drove, surely? Ask payroll?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To claim the tax back you have to complete a tax return AIUI, that is how the peopel here claim the tax on the difference in mileage rate the co pay and what HMRC sat we can claim.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just making a mileage claim for my trip to Ashford yesterday (bloody Dartford tunnel :evil: )

and I've noticed we have new item in the list of things to claim for:

Boris Bike London Hire.

How excellent is that? :D

In our system that would come under, "Misc. no receipt"
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    phy2sll2 wrote:

P87 still applies if you're an employee. It's easy to do. However, it obviously only allows you to claim business miles -- i.e. not those on your commute to your normal office.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I'm quite excited - in my new job I get mileage for using the bike for work purposes - I thought that was rather cool!
  • Once worked out in West Africa where the done thing was to claim 'easement' (basically bribes to get the (generally perfectly legal) stuff done). Without it it would be impossible to do pretty much anything.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I'm quite excited - in my new job I get mileage for using the bike for work purposes - I thought that was rather cool!

Me too, but it's only a temporary job census collecting and it's pretty local so the biggest drawback is that I can't knock any serious mileage up. It's 40p per mile for cars, 22.5p per mile for motorbikes, and 20p per mile for bikes so it's actually weighted in favour of bikes. What a terrible job, cycling around the back streets of Greenwich in the sunshine... :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No reason why you can't go back to the same street twice as the residents weren't home when you called is there?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.