Pro's and Training

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Couple of Q's

As I understand it riders get to sort out their own training although the team has a hand in setting their training programme is that right?

Does this mean that riders spend almost the whole time training in their home area?

Pro Cycling appears to centre around a team of 'individuals' :?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes it's not like a football team where they all train together every day - they'll have various team training camps and otherwise train in their home areas often with other pros from various teams who live around the area. There are certain towns which are popular.

Anyone know if pros would generally just train with each other or would they mix in with local top amateurs - be funny to have cancellara turn up for the local chain gang.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    cheers Tom
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    i train with the local club in winter but have to be careful they just go to hard for me at times.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Anyone know if pros would generally just train with each other or would they mix in with local top amateurs - be funny to have cancellara turn up for the local chain gang.

The impression I get from the two pros (one now ex-pro) who live near me is that they all follow their own training plan. This means that they do what they plan to do, and only ride with people who are up for doing the same.

This can mean using a rotating pool of mates to ride with, "allowing" loose groups of friends/frends-of-friends/clubmates to ride with them and just heading on out on their own irrespective of who else is around and what the weather is doing.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    The pro's who live near me do join the local chain gangs when they're home. The rest of their training seems to depend on the team, but they seem to go on training camps and train with the team quite frequently.

Quite a few seem to be based in places like Tuscany where there's lots of other pro's from different nearby and they train together.
  • Albirdave
    Albirdave Posts: 21
    Slimbods wrote:
    The pro's who live near me do join the local chain gangs when they're home. The rest of their training seems to depend on the team, but they seem to go on training camps and train with the team quite frequently.

Quite a few seem to be based in places like Tuscany where there's lots of other pro's from different nearby and they train together.

Yes Slimbod,its the same here in Spain. But some of thier training is done alone,depends what plan they have been given from the team.
    Contador is often in the cafe stops when he's training at home.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Slimbods wrote:

With your progression from scone run to group A racer I expect to be reading about your professional career and Tuscany training next season Slimbods!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Centre where cyclists live eg Monaco or Girona will see different team members ride together. Also, at camps in eg Majorca, teams are often riding out/back with other teams
    M.Rushton
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    When I lived in Switzerland I would often bump into Martin Elmiger and Gregory Rast training. Usually they would have a few guys hanging on their wheels. But thats normal in Switzerland as you cant ride two-abreast unless in a group of 10 or more (and drivers will try to hit you if break the rules). I was also riding once in a group near Bern last year and Cancellara caught us and joined in... but only for a few km's and then he turned off!

Lots of guys live near Lugano/Varese/Como and you can sometimes see groups of three or four from different teams on the road.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    emadden wrote:
    When I lived in Switzerland I would often bump into Martin Elmiger and Gregory Rast training. Usually they would have a few guys hanging on their wheels. But thats normal in Switzerland as you cant ride two-abreast unless in a group of 10 or more (and drivers will try to hit you if break the rules). I was also riding once in a group near Bern last year and Cancellara caught us and joined in... but only for a few km's and then he turned off!

Lots of guys live near Lugano/Varese/Como and you can sometimes see groups of three or four from different teams on the road.

Ahhh, that's why the drivers tried to kill us when we at times came alongside each other to take the front, when we TT'd around Lake Geneva last Summer :shock:
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er