A decision to make...

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited April 2011 in MTB general
So, I've been looking for a used Ragley Ti to upgrade my Mmmbop and failing miserably. Passed up on one earlier in the year, still pissed off about it, big mistake. But what's this I see in the CRC VIP sale? £999... And got til 6pm to decide.

And I have no clue what to do :lol: I love my Mmmbop but it's flawed, stupidly stiff at the rear end which screws up the bike's ability to handle fast rocky trails, back end pinballs everywhere even with a 2.3 tyre in. The handling's otherwise spot on, amazing setup especially with a 120-150mm u-turn fork...

But it's a hell of a lot of money :shock: And I could get a Pig which would achieve something similiar, albeit at over 2 lbs heavier, but quarter the price. 2.54kg (Pig X I'm ruling out as a new buy)

I dunno. It's nice to be able to make the choice but at the same time I'm a bit spun out :lol: Tempted to buy it on the time-limited offer and stick it in the attic unopened til I decide :lol:

ADVISE ME O INTERNETZ
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    You regret the things you don't do, not the things you do.

If you can afford it, go for it
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Do it.
    Do it.
    DO IT. :P

etc. No reason, other than it's a beauty of a frame, and a good price.

Do it. Sell a kidney if need be, you can live with one.
  • thepha5e
    thepha5e Posts: 118
    That might be a good deal, but think about it. £1000 For a hardtail frame? you could get a 456 carbon for half of that, which is for similar riding and has a softer rear end than the mmmbop too. Or you could get a Santa Cruz heckler frame and have £100 left to spend on bling. The ti is a good frame, but think about your alternatives.
    Hardcore hardtail:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12830105

And a single speed commuter bike:
    viewtopic.php?t=12787405
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Off your rocker ever considering a hardtail frame at a grand........The 2lb weight difference can be had by dieting for a week or two.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm sure it would be a lovely bike, but it doesn't sound like that much of a bargain really....

456 Ti i - £800
    Burls full custom - £1k
    Enigma Ego - £1250
    Rock Lobster Ti - £1700 for the full bike
    Van Nicholas Zion - £800

I know these may not be directly comparable to the Radley, but unless you're going for Seven / Moots / Merlin / Litespeed exotica I'd say that £1k was not far off the going rate for a decent Ti hardtail...

I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't such a good deal that it would never be repeated...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    hmm dunno its a lot of money to spend on a hardtail frame. Whats wrong with the 456 carbon? There must be a few other choices?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Totally forgot about the Ti456.. that's where my money would go if I had the choice.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If I had 1k to splash on a ti hardtail it would be a lynskey ridgeline lt, the ragley is a great ride, buts it still looks like a piece of scaffolding, and for that amour of money I'd want it to look as good as it rides, and the ragley just doesn't IMO, which is a shame because it is a bloody good bike, although it isn't your typical ti bike, it's pretty stiff and I'd say my maxlight, which is Ali, is comfier. The ti456 would be a good compromise!!
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    lawman, they got the medium for £770...less than the 456:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=45197

and whoever said "You regret the things you don't do, not the things you do. " must be off their pickle, i do things i regret on a daily basis.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    kenan wrote:
    If you can afford it, go for it

This.
    Don't ruin yourself for a bike, but if you can afford it, and you want it, go for it.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tsenior wrote:
    and whoever said "You regret the things you don't do, not the things you do. " must be off their pickle, i do things i regret on a daily basis.
    I agree. He also got the phrase very wrong!
    We will regret most things in our life, but the phrase goes...

"It's better to regret the things you've done, than the things you didn't do"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont go Ti unless it is a Jones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    I think I'm going to manage to resist, this time... Lots of comments up there that seem to miss the point slightly, I don't want a titanium bike in particular so comparing with Ti 456s, Lobsters etc isn't much use, they're only the same material but they don't do the job I want- which is, "Be just like an Mmmbop but with a different rear end on"

But, jairaj and thepha5e made me realise another way to get what I want, I think... I'd have said no to a carbon 456, since they're really not that similiar to the Ragley at all, much more conventional. And after all I sold my Soul to get the Ragley so I wouldn't normally downgrade to On One from Cotic. Buuuuut, tapered headtube, Works Components head angle reducer headset slacks it out by a couple of degrees, and I think maybe we have a winner. So thanks guys!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Downgrade?! Why is that?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    tsenior wrote:
    I agree. He also got the phrase very wrong!
    We will regret most things in our life, but the phrase goes...

"It's better to regret the things you've done, than the things you didn't do"

you know what I was going on about :P
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:
    Downgrade?! Why is that?

I think it does much the same job but with less class, and there's been enough people with teething issues (like it having a tapered headtube but some tapered forks not fitting!) But, the tapered headtube opens up the options for me and makes it worth considering maybe.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    I suppose it comes down to how we view these things, but these seem more like niggles than a 'class' thing lol. I think 3.5lbs for a carbon frame that can handle being hammered with a 160mm fork, for 400 quid is quite frankly amazing. I'm damn sure if it said Cotic on it, it would cost 800 quid ;-) ;-)
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont go Ti unless it is a Jones.

why is that? ive no idea what Ti is all about tbh
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:
    I think 3.5lbs for a carbon frame that can handle being hammered with a 160mm fork, for 400 quid is quite frankly amazing. I'm damn sure if it said Cotic on it, it would cost 800 quid ;-) ;-)

Aye, agree with that- it's a shame they didn't quite nail the details but despite that still very impressive. You don't need to convince me, I'm thinking of buying one after all ;) It'd be more expensive if it were a Cotic obviously since they lack the buying power of Planet X/On One.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Even I want one lol. They seemed to have slackend them off a bit: I preferred the old geo of the 456.
  • Northwind
    Ah, funnilly enough I was looking at the geometry numbers and they didn't seem the same... Though I noticed it's with a 120mm fork, fully extended, which seems a weird way of measuring a 456 :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    They do need to nail down a few anomalies, that is for sure: ie on the same page showing the frame weight to be 1300g for the Whippe,, and higher up, 1200g lol. And what is seems are fantasy total bike weights! There is no way in hell an Indbred with a RS Recon Silver TK, with Deore Hubs and Mach rims, wire beaded tyres (despite mostly SLX kit) is 27.5 lbs!
  • Northwind
    Ah, that's the On One website for you, always a bit like a burning building :lol: Weirdly I just went to have a look at the colours available for the C456 and I've come away knowing less about the options than I knew before! That frame bundle deal is awesome though, it's not like the frame's a bad buy normally but chuck in a headset, bars and grips for free... Fab.
    Uncompromising extremist