Rotors - Is bigger better?

djames77
djames77 Posts: 164
edited April 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi

I've got a spesh rockhopper fitted with juicy 3's and 160mm rotors. Will changing to 180 or 203 make them better at stopping a big lump? If so, does anyone know if superstar ones will fit?

Thanks

J

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • djames77
    Thanks Nick

Any idea if Superstar rotors will fit? runninkg alex rims and avids
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes. With the necessary adapters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Yes.

Because you are a male, bigger is always better.

No justification is needed.
    You shouldn't really even be asking the question.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't fit 203 rear rotors. I find them too much even for downhill with one finger braking, either on or off with nothing in between.
    I am pretty large (16 stone) and find 185 front & 160 rear avid juicy 3s fine for trail riding. Juicy's do need regular maintenance & I find clarks pads much better than Avids.
  • djames77
    Don't fit 203 rear rotors. I find them too much even for downhill with one finger braking, either on or off with nothing in between.
    I am pretty large (16 stone) and find 185 front & 160 rear avid juicy 3s fine for trail riding. Juicy's do need regular maintenance & I find clarks pads much better than Avids.

Thanks everyone. I think i'm going for 180 from and back from Superstar and clarks pads. Get the LBS to fit whilst giving the brakes a service. Seems like this should ensure i can stop!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited April 2011
    nwmlarge wrote:
    203's are too big always warp!
    Been running 203's(Avid/Hope) on various bikes for 5 or 6 years and never had one warp 8)I've had one go yellow(strawing)with heat and it's still on the bike and perfect :)
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Hi
    ive run 203s for years
    there only as agressive as you make them
    and ive also never warped a disc why would you .
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    i like a 203 at the front and a 180 at the back.

never warped a disc (or is that disk) (or is that rotor) i am very heavy and my brakes work hard for their money.

i do find a bigger disc gives me more stopping power.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I run 203 on the front and 185 on rear, I would start with leaving the rear alone and just buying a 185 front. If you still want bigger then you can move it to the rear and upgrade.

I'm not sure if J3s are warranted to run 203mm?

You can get a lot more power (particularly in the dry) by going for the superstar kevlar pads which are very good at stopping you in the dry.