Hope skewer fail ?

DCR00
DCR00 Posts: 2,160
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Evening all

Anyone had a Hoep skewer come undone on them ? coming back tonight my back wheel popped out of the stays whilst i was crossing a main road... nearly went over the bars...

The skewer was fine when i left work as i remember lifting the bike from where it was locked up

Some of the ride back was a bit rough so im thinking maybe the skewer came undone ?

Anyone had this happen to them ? it was def tight enough

Pretty scary stuff. The road i was crossing is one of the main roads into Warrington from the M6, and at rush hour it was pretty busy....

Cheers

DCR

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Heard of it happening - they are not the best design, the enclosed cam type ie Shimano tend to be better.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes Hope Qrs are know for this to happen.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    excellent

gives me an excuse to buy some new ones...

i have some Fulcrum ones that came with the wheels, so will use them from now on
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hope do some nice shiny blingy stuff that works like a 2 legged chair when the going gets tough.

Shimano XT or Deore skewers are what you want not shiny or particulary light but tough as old boots and never in my experience come undone or even loose. They last for ever dont clog up look good in a quiet sort of way and are cheap.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    got xt. flawless. nuff said.

dont know why hope skewers are so popular... they look nice but work like a dog poo works as table polish.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I've heard this plenty of times on here, but since i've had my Hope skewers (about 2 years) i've never had a problem. Guess i'm just lucky.

The more i hear of this problem though the more i think of changing them... they do look good on my bike though
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • stubs wrote:
    Hope do some nice shiny blingy expensive stuff but the majority works like a 2 legged chair when the going gets tough..

Fixed :D
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    Hope do some nice shiny blingy expensive stuff but the majority works like a 2 legged chair when the going gets tough..

Fixed :D

:lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DCR00
    anyone use the Superstar Ti/carbon skewers ?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    they are fine on XC race bikes but for a every day bike the forum elders always recommend steel skewers.

I have the newer Hope QR design and thats works fine for me, maybe gets a bit stiff when very mucky but a quick clean sorts that out. On the other bike I have Shimano XT skewers and they just feel SOOO much nicer. Always stay smooth and easy to judge the tension.

SO while my Hope one works with no real problems I would always recommend the Shimano ones. Someone really needs to license the design and do a blingy version :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DCR00 wrote:

Ti is not a good material for a Qr.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DCR00
    nicklouse wrote:
    DCR00 wrote:

Ti is not a good material for a Qr.

yeah, did say that on the review for them

so im hearing that shimano is the way to go
  • After a rough winter of commuting my Hope Skewers completely failed on me, front would not clamp properly and rear was corroded to hell and the wheel would regulary come loose. Went back to the Mavic skewers!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I think my Hope skewers are on the way out after the rough winter too.. such a shame, as they do look great.

Mine look like they're corroding a bit, due to road salt/grit, which means the rear one sometimes will work a little loose. Nothing that stopping and tightening won't fix, but I guess it's time to buy a new set :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pro-Tip. When almost all the old-timers unanimously vote for Shimano skewers, take it as a hint that we're on to something.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Pro-Tip. When almost all the old-timers unanimously vote for Shimano skewers, take it as a hint that we're on to something.

Shimano need to pull their finger out and buy an anodizing machine then. :P

My Hopes were a gift, so not too worried. Think I might have a few spare shimano skewers in the shed, so won't need to buy any more. Time to de-bling the bike. Function over fashion I guess.. :(
  • DCR00
    Point taken Mr 2nd Scariest