Cube reaction crankset problem

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
well ive checked various things on my cube to find out what causing the squeeking, now its time to remove the crankset, its a shimano XT hollow tec im sure, ive never removed one of these, you can see through crank and botom bracket as you would looking through a pipe, one end has a some kind of multi splined threaded nut/washer

all advice on tools needed and how to appreciated, ive been searching but im yet to come accross material thats of use.

thanks
scott

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    This may sounds stupid, but have you checked the pedals? I had a noise that I couldnt locate on my last bike. Turns out it was the pedal bearings and the noise was being transmitted through the bike

do'h!
  • supafly1982
    thanks Nick

Hi Dan, they are fairly new pedals and have sealed cartridge bearings, ive had that problem you talk of before and a regrease and tighten parts soted it out but ive cheched al that on the cube so i think its the crankset, ive just not got alot of knowledge on this type, square ones are nice and easy lol
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    they're as straightfoward as squares just take the crank arm off by loosening the 2 allen pinch bolts and pull through.

you do need a special tool to load the bearings when refitting though, hand tighten this before tightening the pinch bolts
  • supafly1982
    tsenior wrote:
    they're as straightfoward as squares just take the crank arm off by loosening the 2 allen pinch bolts and pull through.

you do need a special tool to load the bearings when refitting though, hand tighten this before tightening the pinch bolts

i see, so it looks like i cant remove the crankset then, i dont think have the special tool to do this (bbe9)? and i dont want to mess up the load on the beairngs, looks like i need to buy the tool.

can anyone give me a link to the exact tool? i dont want to take any chances getting the wrong one or wasting time and money returning tool

thanks
    scott
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Superstar do a really solid one for about £7
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supafly1982
    cheers for the help guys, i will need to get it and grease/ tighten all pretty soon, its squeeking a fair bit when putting alot of force onto the set when pedaling