BIg disks v smaller disks

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm wanting to change my disks to 203mm as i've been getting power and fade issues since i've been hitting the DH at cwmcarn....

But what noticable effects can bigger disks have?

I need to know as the meta is my all day bike too!

Comments

• myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Think you get less modulation with bigger discs once you get beyond 180? More on/off, but I could be wrong!
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They will make the wheel lock up earlier in the lever stroke. Also more prone to going out of true. Heat dissipation will be better.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    less modulation and more power.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    slightly more power, slightly less modulation. For reducing fade have you thought about getting floating discs?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16457

/Edit
    Apparently floating discs dont help fade just stop warping...well you learn something new ....

Looks nice though :D
  • dan shard
    PS

Im on a 203mm disc up front and a 180 back and dont have any problem with modulation at all
  • is there much difference between deore disks/slx/xt other than weight?
  • dan shard
    Ive got XT and theyre pretty good, cant speak for the others though
  • Yeah I have xt and they're nice. Bloody expensive as single items though.

Think i'll try 203 up front 1st and maybe put one on the rear if I think I need it.
  • nicklouse
    the front 180 will go on the rear with a suitable adaptor. maybe even your current one if bot fork and frame are IS mount.

but i would just get some discs from some one like superstar.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • yeah thats the other option, but I have CL hubs so have to factor in an adapter.

But... long term plans are;

1) 12mm bolt through rear
    2) new wheelset, probably a superstar set so no CL rotors.

So I do want to get 6 bolt rotors and an adapter in prep for the new setup.

Are the Superstar disks alright then? they have a good deal on at the mo.

Edit, i'm currently running 180 rotors each end.
  • nicklouse
    a disc is a disc is a disc.

ok 203 front
  • yeah thats what I thought... confusing as you see the likes of hope rotors (or disc's) for silly money and you think... what the hell am I missing then.

Although I know Hope rotors offer no benefit at all.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mostly just a name. Avid are bad for this with their rotor range, ridiculous prices.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dan shard wrote:
    PS

Im on a 203mm disc up front and a 180 back and dont have any problem with modulation at all
    Same here.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    dan shard wrote:
    PS

Same here.

225 front 205 rear and no problems with modulation :lol:
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • I run 203 front, 180 back Hope floating rotors. Changed from 160 front and back and i reckon theres about a 15-20% power increase.
    If you upgrade to floating rotors watch the clearance even with the right adapters. The disc spider (i think its called) that attaches to the hub and the disc floats on is wider so it can get mighty close to the adapters and caliper. I have 2mm clearance max.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    and i reckon theres about a 15-20% power increase
    There's no "reckoning" about it. There is, however, cold hard maths.
  • I always preferred biology.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    dan shard wrote:
    /Edit
    Apparently floating discs dont help fade just stop warping...well you learn something new ....

Looks nice though :D

I run hope 160 floating disc and I reckon thhey will fade quicker than one piece disc due to the fact that very little heat gets trasferred across he "rivet" to the central spider.

and yes, they do look nice.

check out superstar's floatng disc offering - cheaper than Hope but just as bling, albent about 10g heavier