upgrade from 8 speed to 9 speed

pukkacarper1
pukkacarper1 Posts: 7
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys im just looking for abit of help ive got a club roost dh8 with a triple chainset and 8 speed setup e.t.c looking to upgrade i was wondering if you think id be ok to go with this kind of setup- fsa gravity gap mega exo double chainset, sram xo 9 rear mech, sram pg 990 9 speed casette. looking for opinions on the setup and if any1 could recommend shifters i.e do i need the xo shifters? and if any1 could recommend a front mech.

thanks guys anyhelp very much apreciated :)

Ben

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    go X9.

yes you will need new shifters/rear mech cassette and chain. you can reuse the rest of the stuff you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    going from x8 to x9 is not really an upgrade.... but if you insist ....

I recently did this since I want all my bikes to run interchangeble stuff and found that front chain rings on a 8 speed did not like the 9 new speed chain, really bad suck on the small ring, not sure if it was becasue the ring was worn, may have been a bit but didn't look it.

front and rear mechs will work on 8 and 9 speed chains.

note that SRAM and Shimano rear mech/shifters are not interchangeable due to dfferent cable pull; cassettes and chains are.
  • thanks for the help guys ill have a look at the sram x9 stuff aswell. Do you guys use a double chainset? as mine at the moment is a triple and im going to change to a double as i dont really use the lower gears alot. Do you know much about the fsa gravity gap cranks e.t.c? or can you advise me on a strong set up where the chain is not likely to keep comeing off going up and down very steep hills/rough terrain?

Thanks Ben
  • If you want to ruin your life, go X9. If you want happiness, go SLX.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it really worth going from 8 to 9 speed?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    cooldad wrote:
    Is it really worth going from 8 to 9 speed?
    +1

My commuter bike is 8 speed and my mtb 9 speed and theres really no discernable difference in performance.
  • armymankin
    armymankin Posts: 213
    i think there is 36t in 9 speed cassette, whereas the highest is 34t in 8 speed..... if I am correct.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Except it's a DH type bike and probably more use having a truck to take it uphill than a 36 tooth cassette.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only benefit I see of going 9 speed is the fact your dealing with later newer bits, most the 8 speed stuff you can get now is sliding down the pecking order or (if buying used) getting on a bit.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.