Can this be done - 1.5 forks onto a 1 1/8 Setup ?

Beansontoast
Beansontoast Posts: 75
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Gday possums,

I have a question which I am hoping can be answered by some of you MTB tech-heads out there.

Basically, I have mistakenly bought some 1.5 forks (Fox Float 32 RL), without realizing the world of difference between a 1.5 setup and a 1 1/8 setup. :oops:

So, is it possible to fit these 1.5 forks onto my bike if I replace the relevant components?
I can see I would at least need a new stem, but I don't know enough about the headset.

I'm riding a Giant Yukon 2009 and I can't find any highly technical info on the headset other than 'Alloy riser/Giant Lite Alloy 4 bolt ahead 15 degree'

Help appreciated !

I do have the option of a refund, but it would be good to know if this can be done, especially having got them for a steal.

cheers

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Nope you need 1.125 sorry.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Those forks must have done thousands of miles to the doors of folk who have incorrectly ordered them! CRC will be delighted when they finally go!

Long and the short is that they won't fit!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    does it have an internal headset?

if yes you could do half of it but there are no off the self top cups.

so in a word No.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20 wrote:
    Those forks must have done thousands of miles to the doors of folk who have incorrectly ordered them! CRC will be delighted when they finally go!

You're not kidding mate - I'm in Australia. A return trip would see these buggers travellin about 26,0000 miles. All the more reason to see if they can be fitted !
  • nicklouse wrote:
    does it have an internal headset?

if yes you could do half of it but there are no off the self top cups.

so in a word No.

I'll have to pop the current forks out and have a look.

What do you mean by off the shelf top cups?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    available to buy.

first things first see if the steerer will actually fit inside of your head tube.

then talk to your LBS about the cane creek headsets.

see this

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ubes-25275

and then it MAY be possible to make something work with bits of this and bits of that.....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • If the headtube has a 44mm internal diameter then a nukeproof 44EEOS headset would allow you to fit a 1.5in steerer. Info here:http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2011/03/25/1-5-steerer-integrated-headset/
  • If the headtube has a 44mm internal diameter then a nukeproof 44EEOS headset would allow you to fit a 1.5in steerer. Info here:http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/2011/03/25/1-5-steerer-integrated-headset/

Happy Easter mate - that's a freakin revelation ! :shock:

Will print this off and have a wander round a few of my local bike shops.
    I'm in Adelaide which is bike obsessed, so hopefully there's a local tech who'll give it a go.

(Once I've checked I've got 44mil internal clearance).

Thanks to all who've chipped away on this post .......