afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Is she related to Flecha?

Fleche Wallone = Walloon Arrow
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I didn't see this live, I could only get Eurosport commentary.

But having seen it on replay, it's not so much Phil's strength that impresses (although that's clear), but his timing. I was beautiful, he had 5-10 yards before anyone responded, and his main rivals were out of position.

Whether by luck or judgement, Phil seems to have developed some smarts (which he has been lacking a touch before)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Rodrigez held off his attack hoping to stay behind and jump Gilbert at the finish but alas he failed.
    Gilbert better watch out that all the other teams don't start working against him as we had with Cancellara. Winning too much does put a lot of noses out of joint so he must be mindful of that. Maybe on Sunday a break may go on to win as no one will want to ride with Gilbert in the group; we'll see I guess.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Super Phil does it again.

Given most other riders talk incessantly about building 'form', then 'finessing the form' and building up towards 'peak form' before unleashing 'uber form' during a race, before worrying about 'holding form', how does Gilbert do it? He's been at the the sharp end of all the big races for over month now, with LBL (his primary objective) still to come.

Good for him, when he pins on a race number, he races.
    Very very impressive stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:

But having seen it on replay, it's not so much Phil's strength that impresses (although that's clear), but his timing. I was beautiful, he had 5-10 yards before anyone responded, and his main rivals were out of position.

Whether by luck or judgement, Phil seems to have developed some smarts (which he has been lacking a touch before)

Wasn't J Rod saying that he was surprised pip put in the dig so early, since it's so rare for someone to win it from that far out?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Rodrigez held off his attack hoping to stay behind and jump Gilbert at the finish but alas he failed.
    Gilbert better watch out that all the other teams don't start working against him as we had with Cancellara. Winning too much does put a lot of noses out of joint so he must be mindful of that. Maybe on Sunday a break may go on to win as no one will want to ride with Gilbert in the group; we'll see I guess.

-Jerry

It's different with Gilbert though - as Cancellara tends to try and distance himself from the pack from a long way out.

Gilbert only ever wins with an attack on the final climb of the race - usually the one up to the finish line. His team delivers him to that spot.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:

Good take. I can't find the direct quote from the man himself but he mentioned clearly about wanting to have that gap, go a little early as it was hard to pass, wanting to get a gap, or something along those lines.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Pokerface wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

-Jerry

It's different with Gilbert though - as Cancellara tends to try and distance himself from the pack from a long way out.

Gilbert only ever wins with an attack on the final climb of the race - usually the one up to the finish line. His team delivers him to that spot.

The main difference is Lotto - which is much stronger than Leopard was.

They controlled the whole race on Saturday. Absolutely dominated.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Super Phil does it again.

Given most other riders talk incessantly about building 'form', then 'finessing the form' and building up towards 'peak form' before unleashing 'uber form' during a race, before worrying about 'holding form', how does Gilbert do it? He's been at the the sharp end of all the big races for over month now, with LBL (his primary objective) still to come.

Good for him, when he pins on a race number, he races.
    Very very impressive stuff.

A lot of it comes down to genetics: some riders can hold form for a long time, others having very high peaks and deep troughs, others are at a consistent but never stellar level for a long time.

Gilbert seems to be able to get to a high level and hold it for longer than most though, i.e. he can be competitive in races for 6 weeks in the spring but isn't that partly due to his versatility? I don't think there is anyone else currently riding who has a genuine chance of winning all 5 monuments, but Gilbert probably could do it.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Is it wrong that I'm singing Philipe Gilbert to the tune of 'Rupert the bear' ?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    allaction, please report to my study where I shall sthwack you with a dead fish thus-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

I now can't get the tune out my head, and have taken to seeing little Pip dressed as an adventurous bear with red sweater and yellow scarf.

Just as I can no longer see an Eddie Stobbart lorry and not think of the Hallelujah chorus.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Pokerface wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

-Jerry

For sure that's his main strength but look at his Lombardy win last year. He's got a bit more than just an uphill sprint
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dave milne wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

-Jerry

For sure that's his main strength but look at his Lombardy win last year. He's got a bit more than just an uphill sprint

DIdn't he just outsprint Scarponi on the final climb that day too? 8)

OK - granted he did a lot of work that day on his own, but his team also did a lot of work to bring back the break - and the win came from a final little dig at the end on the final climb as is his M.O.
  • rick_chasey
    Gilbert in top form just seems to have so much more spare capacity. He seems so fresh coming into the finale. It's not that he's super fast, but he's got so much more effort to squeeze out of his legs come the finale.

It's almost like he's ridden 50km less.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Gilbert in top form just seems to have so much more spare capacity. He seems so fresh coming into the finale. It's not that he's super fast, but he's got so much more effort to squeeze out of his legs come the finale.

It's almost like he's ridden 50km less.

Maybe he took the train part of the way? It has happened before. Come to think of it, has anyone else noticed that Gilbert only wins in countries where they have a reliable train network? Thic could explain why he never rides the Tour of Britain.

You heard it hear first. Cancellara has a motor in his bike and Gilbert takes the train. he obviously cares more about his carbon footprint.

(Yes, I think I have had too much sun)
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    “Leaving Belgium without riding Liège is not exactly my favorite thing to do,” said Alberto after the race, “but, thinking about Giro preparation, the best thing is rest and recuperation from this cold, because there are just two weeks left before the start and I need to arrive at 100%.”

Alberto was very happy at the finish of today’s race. “I felt very well, the legs were working well, but the problem was when I had to make the maximum effort. I already said before the race that I’ve got a cold and I’m still getting over it.”

In spite of this, Alberto wanted to be at the start line of La Flêche Wallonne because he values the race and the Belgian fans. “I wanted to come and to do my best due to the significance of this race, and also because of the fans. The support that they’ve given me today is very important to me. I’m very happy with the reception I’ve gotten in Belgium. These fans are the envy of everyone, in no other country do they have a cycling culture like this, including in my own, Spain.”

Contador congratulated the winner: “Chapeau to Gilbert!” he said, doffing his cap. “He was amazing and he deserved to win. He’s a fantastic rider and today he was the best by a mile.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador congratulated the winner: “Chapeau to Gilbert!” he said, doffing his cap. “He was amazing and he deserved to win. He’s a fantastic rider and today he was the best by a mile.”

Did he really doff his cap, definately the mark of a True Champion TM
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    edited April 2011
    At Liege the main trick for all other Teams other than Pharma Lotto is for them to arrive at the bottom of the last climb without Gilbert. A nasty prospect for the others would be for Gilbert to send Van den Broeck in a good break so that he sits in and lets the rest do the work. Nice to have a few cards up the sleeve.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Tusher, I heard Eddie Stobart was making a movie but due to his untimely death we are left with just a trailer!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jerry3571 wrote:
    A Liege the main trick for all other Teams other than Pharma Lotto is for them to arrive at the bottom of the last climb without Gilbert. A nasty prospect for the others would be for Gilbert to send Van den Broeck in a good break so that he sits in and lets the rest do the work. Nice to have a few cards up the sleeve.

-Jerry

The question then is - Is Phil a team player? Comparing that scenario to Hushovd/JVS at Roubaix - Hushovd has always seemed like a good team player to me and he proved it there. Is M. Gilbert as ready to pass up the chance to win the race he lusts after the most?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    A Liege the main trick for all other Teams other than Pharma Lotto is for them to arrive at the bottom of the last climb without Gilbert. A nasty prospect for the others would be for Gilbert to send Van den Broeck in a good break so that he sits in and lets the rest do the work. Nice to have a few cards up the sleeve.

-Jerry

The question then is - Is Phil a team player? Comparing that scenario to Hushovd/JVS at Roubaix - Hushovd has always seemed like a good team player to me and he proved it there. Is M. Gilbert as ready to pass up the chance to win the race he lusts after the most?

Not sure he is.

In the worlds he's never been totally committed to the Belgian team cause unless it suits him...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

His blocking in the worlds help Cadel get the gap open, so I think he can be a good team mate :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

His blocking in the worlds help Cadel get the gap open, so I think he can be a good team mate :wink:

Seriously do you think that was a trade team alliance, a favour owed or something? I remember thinking at the time Gilbert appeared to be working for Evans.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I imagine they assessed the situation, worked out that they were outnumbered by the Spanish so agreed to not chase each other should they get away. That kind of alliance is fairly common at the Worlds.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    lotto definitely have to be in the main break on sunday or they might be doing some serious work without much help
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • frenchfighter
    flecheWalloonePrizeMoney.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    mattshrops wrote:
    lotto definitely have to be in the main break on sunday or they might be doing some serious work without much help

They did it consummately (?) all Saturday in south Holland. They're much much stronger than Leopard were a couple weeks ago.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    flecheWalloonePrizeMoney.jpg

Isn't much. is it?

That said , I tend to think prize money is pretty irrelevant in pro cycling. At best the winner will only keep a bit of it (unless they're a complete tool that is) The victories drive up your value in terms of contract and that's where you benefit financially from winning a race. And crits, of course.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    andyp wrote:
    I imagine they assessed the situation, worked out that they were outnumbered by the Spanish so agreed to not chase each other should they get away. That kind of alliance is fairly common at the Worlds.

From what i remember, Gilbert's four wins in a row after the Worlds were partly down to Evans working for him. Wondered then if that was payback for help at the worlds.