Camelbak or Bottle?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
as it gets a bit warmer, what is your favourite kind of drinking vessel?

coming from a MTB background i like camelbaks but on the road is it better to use bottles?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Don't bother on the commute - sub 1 hour isn't worth it. Certainly not a Camelbak with the faff of cleaning it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,155
    Whatever you prefer really - as I do MTB as well I've got a couple of Camelbaks so use them for the commute. I drink a fair bit when I'm commuting so its handy to have the tube to take a slurp when you're on the move rather than having to reach down and grab a bottle.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Surely your body heat will warm the liquid?
    Bottles will get warm too but.....

Plus your back will be warmer.

I can see the point in mtb - mud, but not on the road.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Use what you like/are used to. On the commute I use a rucksack which does have the capability for fitting a camelbak bladder. However, as my commute is only 45mins I never bother with a bottle, even in summer. On longer rides I wouldn't want to wear the rucksack so bottles are perfect
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Bottle. Easier to ditch for the climbs!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Bottle for the bike. I do have a tube that connects to a bottle to turn it into a 'bladder' type arrangement, use this in the kayak....easier to clean.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,155
    daviesee wrote:
    Surely your body heat will warm the liquid?
    Nah, there's enough air and padding between your back and the bladder thing not to make much of a difference. The ambient air temp does affect the temp of the water that's in the tube though, so the first slurp can be quite warm in summer (or cold in winter).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Depends on the ride. Used to use my Deuter bag's bladder regularly on long runs. These days, even on long outings I tend to stick to bottles, but I used the bladder on the New Forest Sportive on Sunday- more capacity, particularly as I rode to Brockenhurst beforehand, and much safer for me and my crap balance to drink and ride simultaneously.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • eyko
    eyko Posts: 68
    As I have a camelbak and my bike doesn't have a bottle cage on it, I'm slightly limited on choice.
    FCN 7
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    On the road bike (including when commuting) I use a bottle. Because it's easier to clean than the Camelbak and I don't carry all the stuff I do when I'm MTBing. On the MTB I have the camelbak for it's 'luggage' capability anyway, so I may as well use it for water.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Camelbak on a mountain bike, bottle on a road bike.

Unless you have to carry a bag on your back, in which case Camelbak.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    220px-Cocktail-glass.jpg

Obviously.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Camelbak = hot and sweaty

Camelbak bottles are great though!
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Those with bottles, do you

A) Suck the liquid out
    B) Squeeze the liquid out
    or
    C) Blow into the bottle to get the liquid out?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I use my camelbak bottle, good insulation to keep the liquid nice and chilled, i would probably only use a camelbak for touring perhaps.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    redvee wrote:
    Those with bottles, do you

A) Suck the liquid out
    B) Squeeze the liquid out
    or
    C) Blow into the bottle to get the liquid out?

B - Although some are better than others. Camelbak bottle - squeeze.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    For me, it depends on what kind of ride I'm doing.
    If I'm riding around town or going for a quick ride in the sticks I will just use a water bottle, but if I'm going for a ride long enough to warrant taking food along and/or I'm far enough out in the sticks that I can't rely on shops being open so that I can buy more food and fluids, I'll use a Camelbak as I can fit two bladders (4.5 litres in total) in my rucksack.

Regarding suck, squeeze or blow, I'm a squeezer with my Bike and Run water bottle or a sucker with my crappy Halfrauds one as the sides are pretty rigid.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Bottle less bother than a bladder, but stopping at the pub is more fun.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Water bottle(s) for road cycling every time.

Suck don't blow. (Does that work?! Going to have to try it but fear this may be some kind of messy practical joke.)

In the past have used camelbaks for hill walking and loved them but always hated the way you never know how much liquid you have left until you run out. I get through a lot of water... I think my record in a day was about 6.5l hiking in Crete...
    Commuter Clunker FCN 9/10
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I get through a lot of water... I think my record in a day was about 6.5l hiking in Crete...

That is nothing. OddJob said he used to drink 8 litres in a day when he was at work (IT)! If that is true, he probably spends more time in the loo than he does at his desk.

What you said about not knowing how much is left in the bladder is very true.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!