Bugger......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
So,

I wanted to buy/build a singlespeed MTB - cheap build for knocking about on:

2 reasons for this.

1, Need to mount a child seat on a bike and racing/fixie frames are not suitable/strong enough

2, I fancy a singlespeed MTB.

So, I go down the secondhand route - look for complete bikes, 1 on Ebay for £300, none locally. Start to look at a home build:

Get a Surly 1x1 frame for £100 from a club member - start to look for secondhand/cheap parts.

Anyway, long story short:

£450 later

May as well have just bought a complete bike new.

Building a bike from secondhand bits can still prove expensive!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ouch :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    It may have cost more, but surely the satisfaction of building it yourself, to a spec you're happy with, justifies the additional cost? ;)

I'd be reluctant to ever buy a fully built bike again, I love the fettling side as much as the riding!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I bet you have ended up with a really nice £450 bike, though?
  • gtvlusso
    It is a "nice" spec:

Surly 1x1 frame in white s/h (£100)
    Whyte Stem (new, but on special offer £20)
    Ritchey Pro riser bars s/h £10
    FSA Pig DH Headset (New £20)
    Rockshox Reba forks s/h £100
    SRAM chainset £22 (new on offer)
    Bottom Bracket (New on offer £18)
    Wheels Halo Combats s/h £99
    Brake Avid juicy 5 s/h £75
    Sundries (bolts, grips, pedals, tyres and so on £100)

All approx prices including shipping and VAT:

£580!!! My mistake!!

Double Bugger!!!!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sweet mother of all things holy!!

but at least you have a sweet bike that you chose all the parts for your self

im looking at building a fixie or SS at the moment but i can see that getting up to silly prices aswell..
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    Have you done a comparison price for all the bits at their RRP?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm my MTB is 2x9, air forks, custom sprayed paint, XT rear mech/LX front and juicy5's and has cost me £308.39 including all delivery charges etc - you need to try harder!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gtvlusso
    Tyres and "bits" were the bank breaker.

In all reality - I did not need a suspension for as the frame already had it's cro mo fork - so, I could drop £100 from the above.
  • redvee
    Mrs GTV will now be heading for Aldi rather than Tesco along the road and walking rather than using the 4x4.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I decided that I'd buy my fixed complete rather than embark on the epic bit trawl as . . .

1. it would be cheaper

2. I'd buy the wrong bits and my 14/67th pre war left handed thread bottom bracket (rhomboid) wouldn't fit the 125/875th Italian (bent) frame and the chain line would be at such a jaunty angle my chain would make it sound like a Stuka - until it fell apart.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    As long as dear little Wilma doesn't suffer, I don't mind...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gtvlusso

Wilma puked last night - turns out she ate an entire bowl of lentils.....
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Pics or it doesn't exist.
  • Headhuunter
    gtvlusso wrote:

Uncooked lentils? Poor mite! Not surprised she puked. How did she get hold of them? The little Westie we were looking after puked 12 times all over our cream carpets after eating something nasty on a walk... Some of the stains are still there....
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

Uncooked lentils? Poor mite! Not surprised she puked. How did she get hold of them? The little Westie we were looking after puked 12 times all over our cream carpets after eating something nasty on a walk... Some of the stains are still there....

Cooked lentils with sausages. I underestimated her "hunger vs agility" gene.....
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My fixie build was supposed to be cheap but ended up costing around £300. That didn't include:
    Frame
    Forks
    Handlebar
    Headset
    Brake levers
    Brake cable outer
    Tyres
    Tubes
    Rim tape
    Saddle

If I had to buy those bits too, the cost would have been in GTVLusso territory, easily.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Headhuunter
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Cooked lentils with sausages. I underestimated her "hunger vs agility" gene.....

Ah so she jumped up on the kitchen counter?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    There is a simple mantra within which to frame your life;

"Dogs cannot be trusted to guard your food"
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

She jumped 2 child gates pre getting onto the counter - bear in mind that the counter top is polished wood, very slippy.

Chapeau Wilma!
  • gtvlusso
    The bike is finished, at 10pm last night!

Only thing that concerns me is using quick release on the rear wheel with track fork ends - Unfortunately the chain tugs that I have don't fit that well....Hoping it will be okay!
  • rjsterry
    gtvlusso wrote:

Only thing that concerns me is using quick release on the rear wheel with track fork ends - Unfortunately the chain tugs that I have don't fit that well....Hoping it will be okay!

<awaits 'rear wheel fell off' thread>

Really not sure that's a great idea.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

<awaits 'rear wheel fell off' thread>

Really not sure that's a great idea.

Admittedly, I am not happy about it - but not sure if I can convert the axle to wheel nuts. QR and chain tugs should be okay, but the tug does not fit the dropout that well - in fact, I need another half link in the chain to "make good".
  • rjsterry
    Is it not best to buy a new axle and a couple of track nuts and swap them out with the QR axle - would push you further over budget though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Headhuunter
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

She jumped 2 child gates pre getting onto the counter - bear in mind that the counter top is polished wood, very slippy.

Chapeau Wilma!

For her it was probably like one of those dog steeplechase events that you see on TV! You should enter her for one...
  • gtvlusso
    rjsterry wrote:
    Is it not best to buy a new axle and a couple of track nuts and swap them out with the QR axle - would push you further over budget though.

Never tried it - I think the budget has gone into NASA scales of spending.....However, I don't really want NASA catastrophe too.

Any linkies or knowledge of axle swapping?
  • rjsterry
    Should be fairly straightforward with a pair of cone spanners and some careful measuring.

Found this http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-85941.html which seems to have a good description in the 7th post down.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• gtvlusso
    Looks easy enough - right, best purchase new solid axle (also best to measure track for end width!) 9mm or 10mm....
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Chapeau Wilma!

For her it was probably like one of those dog steeplechase events that you see on TV! You should enter her for one...

She is doing agility this year. In fact, we were over at Newbury showground last weekend watching collies do the agility events - Wilma is far more disciplined, controllable, agile and smaller than allot of the dogs there. I think she will be very competitive. Hope my daughter gets to do some stuff with her too.
  • redvee
    Grab a Cyclo/Weltite M10x174 cro-mo axle from LBS, gold in colour for the bling and swap over. The distance from the face of the locknut to the end of the axle on drive side isn't as critical on a solid axle as it is on a QR.
  • Headhuunter
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Chapeau Wilma!

She is doing agility this year. In fact, we were over at Newbury showground last weekend watching collies do the agility events - Wilma is far more disciplined, controllable, agile and smaller than allot of the dogs there. I think she will be very competitive. Hope my daughter gets to do some stuff with her too.

Go Wilma! I'll set up the fan club....