Fork oil leak experts required

AndyBike
AndyBike Posts: 126
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Fox Vanillas prob 2007/08 excess oil on stanchion, particularly rebound damping side.

OK ive done the search of past posts, visited the Fox sites, Mojo, google etc, etc and can find nothing that helps here and I am 90% going to send them to be serviced, althought they've had little use and alot of standing since the last service.

But i want to understand the workings and problem first, because i'm short of cash, and wondering if I can fix it

Cleaned wiper seals and foam rings have small patches dirt in them?

oil is coming from below the foam rings?

So whats the diagnosis doctors?

Comments

• Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Wiper seals worn. Simples.
  • I think i've got a similar problem on my 2010 Fox 32 Float R.
    Wiper seals worn. Simples.

Does that mean replace the wiper seals, or just live with it?[/quote]
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Erm, why would you live with something that can be replaced? Not replacing them will allow the lowers to dry out and more than likely let dirt in, none of which is good. It's a 15min job to replace them. You should just need oil and a good-sized piece of plastic tubing to fit the new seals (and some basic tools, obviously).
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Sounds like the seals are gone. Time replace and service the forks.
  • warpcow wrote:
    Erm, why would you live with something that can be replaced? Not replacing them will allow the lowers to dry out and more than likely let dirt in, none of which is good. It's a 15min job to replace them. You should just need oil and a good-sized piece of plastic tubing to fit the new seals (and some basic tools, obviously).

Ok, ok, i get the message. :cry:

There's a few factors to consider here:
    (a) I wouldn't have a clue where to start
    (b) I have very few tools, and i'm guessing none of which would be suitable to do this
    (c) I'm skint

Sounds like i need to call my LBS. :shock:
    It's all good fun until someone loses a bollock.

2010 Orange Crush
  • AndyBike
    warpcow any links to how to do this, lacking the knowledge here
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    I get tis on my marzocchi z1 - last time bke was hung up for ages so no use yet oil was seeping past the seals.

I took the fork apart, cleaned up the seals and t fixed it - beats me why but it did. (I could nderstand if it was being used and the seals were dirty or worn but not in this case)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I think all the service manuals are available in the FAQS section here, otherwise you'll be able to get them from the tech sections of the manufacturers' websites. I think WMB even did a 'how to' a couple of years ago, so that might be here on BR. Be aware that the manufacturers' manuals tend to make it sound harder than it really is, but they are the best for getting everything right.

Tools-wise, it shouldn't need more than a few allen-keys, spanner/10mm socket, a rubber mallet, a flat-blade screwdriver (or ideally a DH tyre-lever IMO) and some clean rags and maybe a bit of dowling. A piece of appropriately sized plumbing pipe makes the installation easier. Then the required oil/grease to relube everything when you re-assemble.

Edit: here's BR's service instructions
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-service-the-seals-on-your-fox-32-fork-25020/

Where they just remove the foam-ring, you would lever out the seals too.

There are quite a few videos on youtube.
  • AndyBike
    Thats great, i spotted the BR service instructions yesterday

so can get them sorted.

thanks for the help.