Chinese Carbon Wheels - Customs Charges?

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking at the carbon wheels from China - CarbonZone etc

Just wondering if anyone has bought some and if so, did you get charged any import fees etc?

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I've read pages and pages about Chinese frames and wheels and I don't recall a single person paying customs fees.

NapD got some wheels recently and didn't pay any charges either
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    In theory, you could get landed for some, but the chances are slim.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Worst-case scenario is being landed for vat and duty on cost of consignment - add 28% to your cost estimate and you should still come out cheaper than anything in UK.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Your average Chinese Ebayer knows the score. And it is not Mr Chinese Man who is fiddling the import taxes ... the buyer is liable and by law has to endeavour to pay the right amount of import tax on anything that he/she has bought from outside the EU.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    They are shipped as 'samples' and no fees are charged.

I know a guy who knows a guy who got some wheels recently. ;)
  • Cornish-J
    thanks guys.

how does he rate them poker?
  • Pokerface
    Cornish-J wrote:
    thanks guys.

I.... I mean "he"..... rates them very highly. Solid build, light, strong and fast. Highly recommended.

www.yishunstefano.com/wheels.html

Full carbon tubs for me. I mean my friend. 8)
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Pokerface wrote:
    Cornish-J wrote:
    thanks guys.

I.... I mean "he"..... rates them very highly. Solid build, light, strong and fast. Highly recommended.

In relation to Zipps how would you.... sorry, your friend rate them?
  • Pokerface
    Percy Vera wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Cornish-J wrote:
    thanks guys.

In relation to Zipps how would you.... sorry, your friend rate them?

Zipps are Zipps. Something of the Gold Standard so it's hard to compare. But what are you paying for with a pair of Zipps? The name? R&D? Dimples? Is the carbon used or build quality THAT much better to justify 5 times the price?

So far, I would say, for the money, the chinese wheels are a great deal. I won't be selling my ZIpps any time soon but am more than happy with the chinese wheels.
  • Cornish-J
    poker - the site you linked above, is that where you bought yours from?

Can i ask how much they charged? cant find any pricing online. - PM me if you'd rather discuss privately.

I've had pricing from carbonzone on ebay - i'm after a set of tubs 60mm front and 88mm rear and he wanted £312 delivered.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I have a cross frame on order from Carbonzone on ebay. I bought a TT frame from the same seller a couple of years ago. Have just checked the parcel tracking and it is showing that customs fees are due. Any ideas how much it is likely to be? Do we still hold with Monty's 28% estimate? and is it likely to be 28% of what I actually paid or some fictitious amount quoted by the seller? No charges made on any previous purchases (a frame and a pair of wheels).

I guess I will find out the actual answer tonight when I return home and get the note from Parcelforce.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    Well. That answers that one..........

........£25 :lol::lol::lol:

Delivery next week included
  • Mate of mine paid taxes and charges of £18 on. Monton jersey that was 21 quid. Made it dearer than a real one.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Remember, you can be charged fees upto 6 months AFTER you receive goods although unless your a business it is highly unlikely. Good thing about buying from the Chinese is that although they copy anything without regards for the rights owner, you do always get the products you pay for. You rarely hear of anyone buying and the item simply not turning up.
    Living MY dream.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Customs are quite savvy about these items from China and know exactly what they are and what they cost, expect to pay around £25 quid on a £350 frame or wheels. Not a lot really.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    Umm, I also have a 'mate' with a set of Yishuns from Stefano, 50mm clinchers. The box was marked up as a sample, as someone mentioned, and no duty was paid. And of course, they were a sample.
    Just use them for the odd TT, can't really complain at what I think was less than £300 for the pair.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've bought quite a few frames and wheels from China over the years - it would appear that the chances of your consignment getting through without any fees is getting less, my $1000 frame cost me £70 and a pair of $400 rims about £40 - still way less than VAT+duty.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,641
    I paid £43 duty on a set of carbon wheels from China earlier this year.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I bought some wheels from Yoeleo and was "charged" about £40 import tax from TNT. I decided not to pay it, that was 6 months ago, heard nothing since. (Obviously there will be another letter waiting for me when I get home).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I bought a tablet off Ali Express for £157 and the seller marked the package as $25 electronics. My customs fee was £3.15 and an £8 bribe so that the Royal Mail could take the £3.15 off me.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My first set of full carbon tubs were from China and I got hit for £40 odd in custom charges. I do think it depends on the carrier as it always seems to be ParcelForce who come up with import duties. You can get hand built 50mm full carbon clinchers or tubs from Spokesman Wheels for around the £500 mark. They also do cheaper options making them on a par with Chinese imports with regards to price and even better when it comes to communications and should there be a need for returns.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.