Why aren't GPS units available on C2W scheme?

stevie_90210
stevie_90210 Posts: 94
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Why aren't GPS units available on the C2W scheme? I quite fancied one of the Garmins and was planing on buying the cheapest bike and then adding it as an accessory, but I've been told that's a no-no.
My commute:
commute.jpg

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I'd suggest by the examples given that the accessories means safety & security stuff or upgrades that directly affect the machine such as tyres, racks etc not what could readily be classed as toys or gadgets.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I get the impression that they are clamping down on the whole thing, as I heard a discussion at Evans, Reading the other day regarding accessories. They have now removed SPDs from the list, as the bike already comes with pedals that are suitable for commuting, when I questioned this, they stated that this was "new guidelines"
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You can't do it precisely because of people like yourself who take the piss.
  • You can't do it precisely because of people like yourself who take the wee-wee.

I guess so, I felt it was fair in my case as I commute to work (usually), but my bike is worth a lot more than £1000 and so I can't get it on the C2W scheme at my workplace.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As someone who doesn't have access to C2W, and probably (now I have built my commuter up) not take one up if offered, with due respect why should I subsidise (through paying taxes you then avoid) your hobby.

The original aim and intent of C2W seems to me to have failed, and more and more people seem to be benefiting for reasons outside of the aims of C2W, basically it's now a tax evasion for many as they don't comply with the rules of the scheme and certianly not the intended interpretation thereof.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    edited April 2011
    You can't do it precisely because of people like yourself who take the wee-wee.

100% agree, what would you like next, perhaps a stay at a holiday park to brush up on cycle skills :!:

I am happy to pay taxes for genuine riders but there are always a few who want more...
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Simon, I can see your point. At the moment however I have an expensive road bike for commuting on. I simply wanted GPS so that I could easily take more alternative routes home, which is part of commuting to me.

My main hobby is rowing, and I don't believe rowing boats/blades/equipment are available on the C2W scheme either. ;-)

I think the C2W scheme is excellent as I have seen a lot of friends and colleagues improve their fitness levels through this. :-)
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • I would suggest that a map is better than GPS for routes near home and if you don't know where work is then you is a bit obblocksed :lol: .
    although one could say you should know most of the routes in your area too.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    C2W is to get you a bike to go to work on.

If you need GPS to find it, you're in trouble my friend :lol:
  • The Rookie
    Simon, I can see your point. At the moment however I have an expensive road bike for commuting on. I simply wanted GPS so that I could easily take more alternative routes home, which is part of commuting to me.
    Indeed, but as you already C2W there is no 'benefit' to 'society' (by whatever measure) of you having the GPS, whereas someone who doesn't cycle and has no bike, if 'society' wish to see the 'benefit' then some encouragement (through tax) has some justification.

In other words, buy your own like the rest of us! :D

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I can see it now - turning up at Evans with a £1000 C2W voucher, getting a £120 hybrid and £880 of 'accessories'...

It is a p*ss take, but in all honesty, if I were in a position to exploit it, then I'd probably give it a go as well. Glad that such 'accessories' are not included in the scheme though, and it makes sense that SPDs are not included as well - you need lights and a lock, you don't need a computer/GPS and SPDs to get to work.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • The Rookie
    Mr Plum wrote:
    I can see it now - turning up at Evans with a £1000 C2W voucher, getting a £120 hybrid and £880 of 'accessories'...
    And most likely the £120 BSO never moves between now and the end of the 1 year compounding the tax evasion.....

Simon
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The scheme should be scrapped. A waste of time and (tax evasion) money. A perfectly good bike for cycling to work can be bought for £300. The only accessory you 'need' is a lock.
  • The Rookie
    :twisted: And a helmet of course...... :twisted:
    Cue argument on helmets all over again, but in this context (encouraging people to cycling) if people 'need' a helmet to make them feel its safe to cycle then that should be a permitted accesory.

However i think the problem is that with the tougher FMV enforcement there is now little financial incentive in C2W when many can get a bigger discount by haggling than they can get through C2W.

Simon
  • alan_sherman
    As hemlemts are less than £30 then that is the riders decision and outlay. :wink:

I totally agree on your point about being able to get a better deal outside the C2W scheme by buying a discounted model. Also it is yours from day 1 and not leased from the employer for 4 years.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    The scheme should be scrapped. A waste of time and (tax evasion) money. A perfectly good bike for cycling to work can be bought for £300. The only accessory you 'need' is a lock.

I can be riding to work at 3am & part of my regular commute is unlit countryside c roads. lights tend to help me not crash into things.

just as an aside - tax evasion is an individuals deliberate criminality. C2W is a state instigated scheme of tax avoidance. lets not criminalise people for C2W (unless they're buying GPS on it :wink::wink::wink: )
  • The scheme should be scrapped. A waste of time and (tax evasion) money. A perfectly good bike for cycling to work can be bought for £300. The only accessory you 'need' is a lock.

I can be riding to work at 3am & part of my regular commute is unlit countryside c roads. lights tend to help me not crash into things.

just as an aside - tax evasion is an individuals deliberate criminality. C2W is a state instigated scheme of tax avoidance. lets not criminalise people for C2W (unless they're buying GPS on it :wink::wink::wink: )

You can get some cracking lights on the scheme as accessories.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • alan_sherman
    he he. Fair comments about tax evasion vs avoidance and lights. The long days at the moment made me forget about lights (and shift workers).

Perhaps I should have bought a cheap hybrid with my SON dynohub. Would have been effectively a free bike with the hub.... if Spa Cycles accepted C2W vouchers on discounted items (I have no idea if they do BTW).
  • Perhaps I should have bought a cheap hybrid with my SON dynohub. Would have been effectively a free bike with the hub.... if Spa Cycles accepted C2W vouchers on discounted items (I have no idea if they do BTW).

Spa cycles are a 'proper' old-style bike shop catering very well for the touring and commuting cyclist. They do take C2W vouchers even on discounted kit, however I doubt they'd sell you a cheap hybrid. :wink:

My employer does C2W, and if I was a virgin cyclist it might help tp convert me, but as a more experienced cyclist (with more bikes and kit than I strictly need, n+1 excepted), I prefer the freedom to shop around.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    However i think the problem is that with the tougher FMV enforcement there is now little financial incentive in C2W when many can get a bigger discount by haggling than they can get through C2W.

You're confusing C2W with Cyclescheme. Cyclescheme is a 3rd party scheme operator that takes a 10% cut from the bike shop, preventing you from getting the best deals. If your company runs its own C2W scheme themselves, which is really very easy to do, you can haggle whatever price you want, and then still enjoy the tax savings.

As for accessories, the tax break has always been for cycles and cycle safety equipment. The DfT suggest that this includes:

• Cycle helmets which conform to European standard EN 1078
    • Bells and bulb horns
    • Lights, including dynamo packs
    • Mirrors and mudguards to ensure riders visibility is not impaired
    • Cycle clips and dress guards
    • Panniers, luggage carriers and straps to allow luggage to be safely carried
    • Child safety seats
    • Locks and chains to ensure cycle can be safely secured
    • Pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits and tyre sealant to allow for minor repairs
    • Reflective clothing along with white front reflectors and spoke reflectors

I can't see how this could possibly include a GPS, and I don't see why I should contribute to the OP's new toy.[/quote]
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I think GPS should be mandatory in C2W

Every bike should be fitted with it permanently to prove that you used the bike for commuting. I bet there are zillions of bikes that have never come close to the intended use or percentage of commuting. Frankly I think this is far more of an "issue" with CTW than whether you can buy bike "bling" on the scheme.

Besides that, the tax rules on residual value and the fact that my employer is in Cyclescheme make the scheme of no value to me whatsoever. I could have got a much better deal buying privately.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    You can't do it precisely because of people like yourself who take the wee-wee.

Would that be like a certain someone (me) getting a new bike that will only ever be used for winter training and club runs. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Besides that, the tax rules on residual value and the fact that my employer is in Cyclescheme make the scheme of no value to me whatsoever. I could have got a much better deal buying privately.

The new rules really don't make that much difference to the overall value assuming you go for the option of extending the hire period. I can understand people not wanting to do that but it doesn't have that much impact on how much the scheme costs in cash terms.
    Faster than a tent.......