New Flanders arrival.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Few of you might have heard during the Flanders build up that they're considering a few new options for the host town for the finish.

Naturally, this has a big effect on the finish and the Belgians being Belgians, that's what they're considering first and foremost.

Ronse asked Museeuw to design it, and being Museeuw, it's a tougher finale...

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8158/ ... inish.aspx

Personally, I want it to stay in Meerbeke - the route's about as good as it gets....

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    While I love the course in it's current format, there's something quite appealing about moving the finish closer to decisive climbs such as Kwaremont, Paterberg and Koppenberg.

It will be interesting to see which town gets the nod for the finish.
  • I'd like to see a change. When you look back at the history of the race, the route has changed and evolved plenty of times over the years. It's not like Roubaix where is finishes at a specific point, the velodrome. It's the climbs that dictate the route, so bringing climbs closer to the finish can't be bad. Also like the idea of the race using climbs twice. Much easier to go and watch the race.
  • When I read the author and title of this thread I thought Tommeke was expecting...

Anyhoo, they could hold the Tour of Flanders as a criterium around Koksijde and it would still be huge, it's the Tour of Flanders
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Oudenaarde has a museum about the Tour of Flanders, and sportives intentionally covering much of the traditional route start and finish there, so it has a good claim to get the vote.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    I'd like to see a change. When you look back at the history of the race, the route has changed and evolved plenty of times over the years. It's not like Roubaix where is finishes at a specific point, the velodrome. It's the climbs that dictate the route, so bringing climbs closer to the finish can't be bad. Also like the idea of the race using climbs twice. Much easier to go and watch the race.

I think the course is selective enough.

I like the flat drag after the Bosberg. The current course creates a great selection, but still leaves proper road tactics in play for those who are strong enough.

My concern is that more climbs nearer the finish will mean less tactics. The current route I feel strikes the perfect balance between the legs and head.
  • I think the course is selective enough.

I like the flat drag after the Bosberg. The current course creates a great selection, but still leaves proper road tactics in play for those who are strong enough.

My concern is that more climbs nearer the finish will mean less tactics. The current route I feel strikes the perfect balance between the legs and head.

You could be right, it might end up as a Fleche Wallone on cobbles. Still think it's a bit too far from the Bosberg to the finish. 12km is more that enough for riders to get back to the front of the race and setup a big sprint. How about a finish in Denderwindeke instead?

Still, hard to argue changing the route would make it more exciting after this year's race. In fact, think all this year's classics have been good.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    was pretty good this year I thought :)
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Agree with Rick Chasey about the finale.

Oudenaarde has a good claim - more of a cultural centre than Ninove/Meerbeke - but I hope they keep it as it is.
    kop van de wedstrijd