Gaz Gone Global

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Great post by Gaz on the FatCyclist blog

http://www.fatcyclist.com/

Again, great work fella!

201104190646.jpg

Funny how you look like a cyclist now instead of a bloke on a bike.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    8)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    As always, much respect, Gaz!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Funny thought: you don't look like ''the fat bloke who got thin'' any more. You simply look good in yourself at the weight you now are. It's funny really - your achievement is now so complete that your photo no longer shows how far you've come. Job done.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    That's excellent! Good on you Gaz.

It doesn't excuse you for failing to stop for a mum with a pushchair at a zebra crossing though... :wink:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Respect!

All "heavily boned" people need to read the blog and think.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Aw, Someone's got a man crush...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Respect as all I can say......

As above, you now look 'ordinary' (in a good way), an inspiration to anyone who finds themselves in the same position you do.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    daviesee wrote:
    Respect!

That's a bit condescending is it not.
  • daviesee
    suzyb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Respect!

Condescending but true. There are people overweight (me) who either do something about it (Gaz) or accept it. There are others who use any excuse (big boned :roll: ) to carry on as they are. I know a 27 stone girl who is lovely but can't see the connection between a diet of chips & nachos and her weight (or ignores the connection). Her weight is such that she "cannot" do any excercise but Gaz has shown that with small steps, she can. My condescending remark was aimed at people like her.
  • suzyb
    daviesee wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    Respect!

Condescending but true. There are people overweight (me) who either do something about it (Gaz) or accept it. There are others who use any excuse (big boned :roll: ) to carry on as they are. I know a 27 stone girl who is lovely but can't see the connection between a diet of chips & nachos and her weight (or ignores the connection). Her weight is such that she "cannot" do any excercise but Gaz has shown that with small steps, she can. My condescending remark was aimed at people like her.
    So what you meant to say is "All big boned people who don't think it is possible to loose weight need to read the blog and think" :wink:
  • daviesee
    suzyb wrote:
    So what you meant to say is "All big boned people who don't think it is possible to loose weight need to read the blog and think" :wink:

Yes thanks.

Can you proof read all my future posts? :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    To be fair, you tend to rarely see any overweight people in crowd photos taken before the 60s. Fact is, it is mostly self inflicted but I don't doubt the admirable will power that Gaz has found to make such a transformation.

However - what the hell is that hideous MTB like mudguard doing on an otherwise pretty Peugeot? Some things are inexcuseable....:lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    I'm not big boned, but I am overweight. Some of my overweightness is down to hormonal deficiency and problems with my endochrine system which are a hangover from a brain tumour (which is not a thing I would recommend to anyone!) I had 20 years ago. And some is down to a beer and cheese addiction. I get plenty of exercise from walking and cycling, hill walking at weekends, and a tolerably healthy diet. All in all not bad for a 59 year old.

So, how does the fact that I am a 'gentleman of a certain carriage' affect me? Well, not that much tbh. My GP seems happy enough with how I am, my cholesterol is 5.6, and, aside from some self-image issues which are entirely my own problem and not just about the weight, I can and will live with it. My GP's opinion is that I could stand losing some weight, but that in order to achieve the god-like six pack I want the effort would be tremenduous, possibly unhealthily stressful, and next to impossible to maintain, and my view is that if I cannot easily achieve the six pack there is little point in trying.

I am in awe of Gaz and his achievment. But even when I was young, slim, and fit (you had to be to get away from the sabretooths in those days), I had difficulty riding bikes with drop bars because my thighs would push my stomach up into my lungs and restrict my breathing, a problem made worse by the long top tubes of those days. I am a bit oddly proportioned, with legs too long for my little fat body and stubby little arms. I have never been able to touch my toes, something which an 83 year old lady who goes to my local pub can do with ease. We do what we can reasonably do, and Gaz and his ilk are an inspiration, but not neccessarily a solution, to us all.
  • ...... Gaz and his ilk are an inspiration, but not neccessarily a solution, to us all.

Agree with this. What he has done is amazing especially if you read about his other eating disorder.

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpre ... -disorder/
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    kelsen wrote:

It doesn't excuse you for failing to stop for a mum with a pushchair at a zebra crossing though... :wink:

Not just me who thought that then? :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Confusedboy, how do you know the 83 year old lady who goes to your local pub is so flexible? She's not The Receptionist is she?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Absolutely amazing quite frankly. Inspiring.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Rolf F wrote:

However - what the hell is that hideous MTB like mudguard doing on an otherwise pretty Peugeot? Some things are inexcuseable....:lol:

I have to agree with this!!

Gaz, what are you playing at?
    :D
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    kelsen wrote:

ARGHHHHHHH Lol

The piccys were done in a park, the Zebra was actually another road/path to that I was on, sadly the photographer was "hiding" in a bush, this gives the impression that I am on the same road as the woman, but I am in what is best called a "filter lane"

I know you are of course joking but yeah, it looks bad :(
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • gb155
    Funny thought: you don't look like ''the fat bloke who got thin'' any more. You simply look good in yourself at the weight you now are. It's funny really - your achievement is now so complete that your photo no longer shows how far you've come. Job done.

Thank You very much

• gb155
    Great post by Gaz on the FatCyclist blog

http://www.fatcyclist.com/

Again, great work fella!

Funny how you look like a cyclist now instead of a bloke on a bike.

Thanks Dude, Much appreciated

• Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Confusedboy, how do you know the 83 year old lady who goes to your local pub is so flexible? She's not The Receptionist is she?[/quote

God no! Just a customer who is much more flexible than me and occasionally puts me publicly to shame on the matter. My own fault for once telling her I had never been able to touch my toes (even when I could still see them) without bending my knees. I am the sort of cove who confesses stuff to old ladies when I've had a few.

Receptionists and such belong to a part of my life which is regretfully probably over (though all reasonable offers will be considered). I would never start a thread about what I might have done with them, but one of the nice things about getting older is the memories....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I keep looking at a few of the 'large' people in this office and REALLY want to print out and leave copies of Gaz's blog their desk.

The only problems are that it would be seen as insulting, it'd be about a guy on a bike, so they'd know it was me, and they wouldn't get it.

Shame that

I think Gaz needs a rename though.

No longer "The Amazing Shrinking Gaz"

now "The ugly bloke on a bike"

:D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • suzyb