Just fitted my M520 pedals...

mrobbie
mrobbie Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in Commuting general
Frikin' Nora but getting the old pedals off was an effort! Had to make use of oven gloves to help out :D

Think my shoulder will hurt in the morning now. Not half as much as my pride when I take the "new to SPD pedals" tumble the next time I'm out on it. Will be doing plenty clip in clip out practice first though...
Quite addicted to cycling now....

Comments

• Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Long handled Pedal Spanner is what you needed!

:D

Good luck with the SPD's, and cover up your arms to avoid too much grazing when the inevitable happens.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    mrobbie wrote:
    Frikin' Nora but getting the old pedals off was an effort! Had to make use of oven gloves to help out :D

Think my shoulder will hurt in the morning now. Not half as much as my pride when I take the "new to SPD pedals" tumble the next time I'm out on it. Will be doing plenty clip in clip out practice first though...

Won't make a scrap of difference how much you practice, fate will still make sure you have a slo mo topple sideways at some point. :wink:
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Wind the tension out on the pedals for the first couple of weeks to give you time to learn the knack of unclipping :wink:
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    best investment you'll make mate... i just got my first set of spds (same as yours actually. white ones look dam cool). im totally loving them... as a fellow forum member warned me and actually came true. you wont fall when your expecting too, its when you get comfortable and you forget your hooked on.

in my case. i unhooked the right leg and went to lean over with the left that was still strapped in. almost when ass over tit and looked like a right tit doing so lol.luckily he managed to grab onto me and prevented a quality fall. lol
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I failed miserably at getting the pedals off when I swapped them over.

I ended up going to the Evans near the office and playing the 'girlie' card asking if they could loosen them. Walked out with the pedals fitted... no charge. :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Yes, you will have a clipless moment and fall off. We've all done it.
    You'll probably be fine when practicing and then fall off when you relax and think its second nature. Just remember to unclip well before you have to stop.
    As you see a traffic light change to red, unclip on your approach and coast up to the lights.
    If you unclip your right foot, remember to lean to your right when you stop. Ain't that right Aripallaris?

Top tips peeps. When putting new pedals on, put some copper slip on the threads so that you will be able to take them off again some time in the future.

This is the voice of experience as I can't take my SPD-SLs off of my roadbike! I need a bench vice and a very long handled spanner. Or maybe a burd to play the girlie card at a LBS.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    You actually don't have to fall off when getting used to SPDs. I had a couple of very hairy moments, but never actually fell off. The worst times for me were when I had clipped my left foot out and was gently coasting to a stop only to discover at the last minute that I had inadvertently clipped in again. Even in those situations, with a panicked yank upwards, with M520s you can clip out again.

You will adore them in no time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have my 520's set on minimum tension, never come out when peddling no matter how hard I pull up.

One fall when practicing, 3 more since, all when I was cycling in a group at slow speed and the person in fron stops suddenly!

Copperslip the threads, come off nice and easy then!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    +1 grease
    and don't put them on evil tight
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • mrobbie
    Thanks for the feedback... long handed pedal spanner - sounds like that would have been the tool, and probably explains why I have never seen oven gloves in bike workshops :lol:

Did try clipping in and out while back pedalling in the kitchen last night, but I'm guessing this does nothing to help and the only way to learn is to learn on the job. Heading up to Aberdeen for the Easter break and taking the bike so will get some practice in on some quiet roads where it is not all stop start in traffic.

Glad to have ditched the toe clips though. They were a frustration :x
  • aripallaris
    aripallaris Posts: 294
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    As you see a traffic light change to red, unclip on your approach and coast up to the lights.
    If you unclip your right foot, remember to lean to your right when you stop. Ain't that right Aripallaris?.

ahaha too right mate.. thanks for the save lol :D
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    In fact I'd go one further - get intot he habit of unclipping one pedal as soon as you get an inkling you're approaching a hazard, such as a person driving like a arse in front that you suspect might suddenly veer to the left. Once you're comfortable with clipping in and out quickly, you won't find it that awkward and it always pays to be prepared.

One question, did you go for multi release (silver) or single release (black) cleats? I started on the multi release but did find it too easy to unclip myself, so switched to single release. I think the tourer style pedals probably come with multi release.
  • cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    Got my M520 pedals in February. Was reading this thread yesterday and thinking I hadn't had my first clipless moment yet and must be past it and competant with clipless. Today, went down like a sack of potatoes in Brockwell Park when I stopped to look at a sign, completely forgot my right foot was still clipped in. :?
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    +1 grease
    Copper based grease (e.g. Copaslip) on threads every time.

Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey :D
    (due to thread direction the left pedal tightens itself).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Simon E wrote:
    +1 grease
    Copper based grease (e.g. Copaslip) on threads every time.

Errrr, the left hand pedal has reversed thread, so that's righty loosey, lefty tighty!

With the bike the right way up, and the crank you're working on pointing towards the front wheel, you always loosen by turning the pedal spanner towards the back of the bike. (assuming the spanner hanndle is pointing upwards)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    bails87 wrote:
    Simon E wrote:

Errrr, the left hand pedal has reversed thread, so that's righty loosey, lefty tighty!
    Damn! And I thought that was such a useful reminder my mate told me :roll:

But aren't left pedal threaded the opposite way so it won't loosen with pedal rotation? On each the thread is the same direction as the pedalling action so surely that means No Tighty?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And both pedals are self tightening......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Despite 20+ years experience with SPDs I still have near misses that give me an adrenalin boost when I least want it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Right pedals are right handed threads, left are left handed.

You can use your hands to work out rotation (mostly useful when you're hanging upside down looking at a barely accessible bolt), but I just use the mnemonic "back it out": whack the pedal spanner on it, and push it towards the back of the bike. Obviously this only works with the pedal spanner pointing up.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788

I ended up going to the Evans near the office and playing the 'girlie' card asking if they could loosen them. Walked out with the pedals fitted... no charge. :D

Will use this method when my time comes :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    Cafewanda wrote:

Will use this method when my time comes :)

When your time comes, give me a shout and I'll give you my cranks with the stuck SPD-SLs!

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    redvee wrote:
    Despite 20+ years experience with SPDs I still have near misses that give me an adrenalin boost when I least want it.

Yeah, those adrenalin stains can be a bugger to get out your pants at 40 degrees. :wink:

Had my first experience of proper road shoes today and did a sterling impression of Bambi on ice when trying to walk in them. Clipping in and out was a little hair-raising at times too.
  • EKE_38BPM
    redvee wrote:

Yeah, those adrenalin stains can be a bugger to get out your pants at 40 degrees. :wink:
    LOL
    Had my first experience of proper road shoes today and did a sterling impression of Bambi on ice when trying to walk in them. Clipping in and out was a little hair-raising at times too.

I've done the SPD things backwards in comparison to most people as I've gone from SPD-SLs to SPDs and I can confirm that SLs don't get any easier to walk in (that reminds me, I must buy some new cleats). Clipping in/out was fine though.

• mrobbie
    So, the rides last week with the pedals were great. No falls and clipping in and out was no problem.

...then did the sideways fall at the first set of lights on the way to work today. Tit.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    Always good to get it under your belt.