catseye micro computer - how many leds for the backlight

aripallaris
aripallaris Posts: 294
edited April 2011 in Commuting general
so i got myself one of these computers and wondered how many leds activate with the backlight button. mine currently activates one on the right hand side if that right?. i find it a little strange that if it was just one led then it should be centered for better light spread.

also how accurate are they? i think i tripped a 20mile speed warning light but the computer was registering 15

Comments

• cyclingpast
    cyclingpast Posts: 111
    I got mine last week. One Led on the right activated (which makes sense because the numbers on the display are more on the right hand side) when i press the backlight button. I checked mine with a 20 mph speed display board and it was showing up right- make sure you've put the right numbers in for your wheel diameter and tyre width

SC
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Cateye micro wireless? If so that's what I hae on my road bike. Shocking "illumination" isn't it!

I had my iphone running the motionx app on a 24mile ride today and it tells you your distance and speed at set intervals (I set it to 10 minutes apart) and it was on the whole pretty to close to the cateye data, average speed was the same for both devices.
  • cyclingpast
    DaveHudson wrote:
    Cateye micro wireless? If so that's what I hae on my road bike. Shocking "illumination" isn't it!

I had my iphone running the motionx app on a 24mile ride today and it tells you your distance and speed at set intervals (I set it to 10 minutes apart) and it was on the whole pretty to close to the cateye data, average speed was the same for both devices.

It's not the illumination that annoys me because that I can cope with, it's how the button for the illumination is in such a ridiculous place! How the heck am I supposed to get at that easily whilst I'm riding at night?
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I've not used the computer when it's been really dark so it may well be better than I give it credit for :)

I've mounted mine on the stem and it's nigh on impossible to get to that button :lol:
  • aripallaris
    it is in a seriously ridiculous place. i mounted mine on the stem as i have two front lights and that just makes hitting that tiny button dam difficult. to be honest the illuminate is terrible in a fairly lit street. unfortunately most streets dont have enough light to illuminate the computer, and also seem to wash the internal led contrast when you do finally hit it. seems kinda useless in most situations other than total pitch dark. shame.

i do have the tyres set correct so thats fine. ill give that same board another run tomorrow hopefully return better results.

out of interest do you guys leave it on auto or manual start mode?
  • cyclingpast
    it is in a seriously ridiculous place. i mounted mine on the stem as i have two front lights and that just makes hitting that tiny button dam difficult. to be honest the illuminate is terrible in a fairly lit street. unfortunately most streets dont have enough light to illuminate the computer, and also seem to wash the internal led contrast when you do finally hit it. seems kinda useless in most situations other than total pitch dark. shame.

i do have the tyres set correct so thats fine. ill give that same board another run tomorrow hopefully return better results.

out of interest do you guys leave it on auto or manual start mode?

I've found the illumination to be good on most dark roads when it actually comes down to it, wish it lasted for a bit longer after pressing the button though. I have it on auto all the time, don't want to have to worry about pressing buttons every time i stop/start in traffic.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• I have a Cateye computer and am in the same situation - the backlight is useless. I wish it stayed on for longer and lit the screen up more brightly.

As for the speed, mine is extremely accurate. I think it's more likely that the council have set up that sign incorrectly.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • aripallaris
    no doubt, haringey isn't renowned for their spending or quality lol
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Some of those signs go off when they detect anything coming regardless of speed. Don't know if it's intentional or a blunder.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Yep the same, one green led on the right hand side lower than halfway up, green and mostly useless, seems accurate though