Shimano brake compatability?

Novexxx
Novexxx Posts: 4
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2009 Cube Acid which I have generally been delighted with - light, well fitted out & affordable, but one issue I have had since day one is ridiculous brake squeal & poor rear brake performance (Shimano BR-M485 calipers / SM-RT53 160mm disks ).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am looking at replacing the disks & calipers by upgrading to Shimano SLX BR-M665 calipers with SLX SM-RT64M (180mm) disks & I am wondering if I can fit these straight onto the Acid's existing hydraulics (BL-M485 levers & SM-BH59 Hoses)?

I am also figuring that I will need replacement adapters to go from 160 to 180mm disks?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    change the pads to sintered ones. and give the rotor a good clean with cycle brake cleaner.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Novexxx
    I have tried sintered pads with little change, but want to change my calipers anyway;

My rear caliper has the smallest weep from my rear caliper, which only appears when its under continuous high pressure. Shimano released a serviced bulletin regarding leakage from M485 calipers a while ago, so I suspect this may have been the problem all along.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as long as the hose fitting looks the same then yes no issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Novexxx
    OK, thanks.

I'm figuring that if I do this the caliper adapters will only have to be changed if I change disk size?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools