What degreaser do you use?

designman
designman Posts: 405
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a good degreaser for cleaning my chain, chain rings and jockey wheels, must be easy to apply...
What do you guys use for cleaning the above?

Comments

• DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I've had a bottle of the Park Tools Chainbrite that's lasted me a couple of years and been very effective. Wiggle sell it for about a tenner. I imagine most degreasers are much of a muchness though.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Fenwicks is good.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Muc off water soluble degreaser is fantastic stuff. Removes really heavy grease/grime with ease. Was suprised how well it worked compared to citrus degreasers.
  • Fenwicks.

While Muc-Off is good stuff it should be renamed Rip-Off. 9 quid gets you 10 litres diluted of Fenwicks versus 6 quid for one litre of Muc-Off.

They both do the job equally well but it's a no brainer in my mind.
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    White spirit
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • jermas
    Fenwicks.

While Muc-Off is good stuff it should be renamed Rip-Off. 9 quid gets you 10 litres diluted of Fenwicks versus 6 quid for one litre of Muc-Off.

I think you are confusing muc-off bike cleaner with muc-off degreaser. The degreaser is 10 times as effective as undiluted fenwicks.Diluted Fenwicks is great as a general bike cleaner though.
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    Petrol or Paraffin! :lol:

Or.... MucOff
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    For a really deep clean I use this

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Remover
  • jermas wrote:
    Fenwicks.

I think you are confusing muc-off bike cleaner with muc-off degreaser. The degreaser is 10 times as effective as undiluted fenwicks.Diluted Fenwicks is great as a general bike cleaner though.

Nope...I dilute the stuff and it does the job as a degreaser just as well as the undiluted stuff. And that applies to Rip-Off and Fenwicks.
  • jermas
    jermas wrote:
    Fenwicks.

Nope...I dilute the stuff and it does the job as a degreaser just as well as the undiluted stuff. And that applies to Rip-Off and Fenwicks.

Muc-off degreaser is in an aerosol can so I don't see how (or why) you dilute it.
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    White spirit
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Halford's citrus degreaser is the mutt's nuts.

Really. I promise.

At around £7 for a 1/2 litre it's probably the cheapest you'll find locally.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    edited April 2011
    Check out e bay or a local cleaning products supplier if you can find one.Got some very effective eco friendly citrus degreaser for £30.00 for 20 litres.It usually comes it in 5 litre bottles but you get stung on the postage so i bought it in bulk-will probably last longer than my bike!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    paraffin/kerosene
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    FinishLine Citrus Degreaser for me, performs alright but smells wonderful :lol:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Park Tools Chainbrite/Finish Line Citrus Degreaser/Green Oil Clean Chain Degreaser.

All have made my chain less sh!tty after a ride and the latter makes a pretty decent all over bike cleaner when diluted.
  • jermas wrote:
    jermas wrote:
    Fenwicks.

Muc-off degreaser is in an aerosol can so I don't see how (or why) you dilute it.

Well many moons ago their degreaser wasn't in an aerosol format. But as I find Muc-Off over-priced I've not really kept up with their product developments over the last few years.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Used to use Muc off,but have since discovered that white spirit is as good,if not better and is only about £2 a bottle.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo