Couple of build issues...

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Currenty putting a new bike together ... First time have done this and have two problems:

- firstly can anyone explain how an e thirteen bash guard connects to both rings / crank? I received these parts dismantled and cannot figure it out...

- secondly how do you install gear cables into Shimano alivio shifters?

Any help appreciated as running out of patience!
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• Bash guard, dont know..

Shifters, there should be a little screw head just beside the shifter levers - this will look bigger than the other screws.

Remove this then feed the end of the cable into it. The barrel end of the cable will slot in and hold when the cable is fed through. Mine was a bit fiddly but once you know where it goes you should be OK.

The fun bit comes when you have to get the gears running smoothly....good luck!
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Bash guard fits where your outer ring would go and uses those bolt holes
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Make sure the shifters are in the highest gear when you fit the cable of the holes won't line up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mr OCD wrote:
    Currenty putting a new bike together ... First time have done this and have two problems:

- firstly can anyone explain how an e thirteen bash guard connects to both rings / crank? I received these parts dismantled and cannot figure it out...

- secondly how do you install gear cables into Shimano alivio shifters?

Any help appreciated as running out of patience!

which bash?

and try reading the manual or park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr OCD
    Have no manual for thr bash guard and like I said was given to mr dismantled... Was going to take the crank off My Fury but not able to shift it for some reason. Will try again tomorrow...

Need new cables for shifters so not much else can do tonight.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Mr OCD
    Any difference between SRAM and Shimano shifting cables?

I need to buy some new cables (inners)...
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Every gear cable I've bought in the past has been universal.

Also have a look on Shimano's website they have the documents for all parts. Should show you how to fit the cable, its relatively straight forward to do.
  • Mr OCD
    jairaj wrote:
    Every gear cable I've bought in the past has been universal.

Also have a look on Shimano's website they have the documents for all parts. Should show you how to fit the cable, its relatively straight forward to do.

Thank you :)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • Mr OCD
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 609216.pdf

Shifter doc... :)

Assume I remove screw number three and push the cable through?
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • jairaj
    yep thats correct.
  • Mr OCD
    jairaj wrote:
    yep thats correct.

2009 Carrera Fury
  • Mr OCD
    Right trying to get my head round this e-thirteen bash guard now ... and connecting it to a Shimano crank arm.

These are the instructions I can find which are for a different crank:

http://www.e13components.com/setup_inst ... el_web.pdf

Anyone put one of these on a shimano crank that can explain where the bolts / washers go in relation to the chain rings?
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • nicklouse
    well that link is useless.

pics of what bits you have.

normally they just replace the big ring.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Mr OCD
    nicklouse wrote:
    well that link is useless.

pics of what bits you have.

normally they just replace the big ring.

Tell me about it ... its all I can find for instructions.

Cant take pics till this evening.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If it's an e13 Supercharger, as said above it fits in place of the outer ring. You will need the e13-specific mounting bolts - standard chainring bolts aren't long enough
  • Mr OCD
    Yep as mentioned I have the correct mounting bolts / etc for the E13 Supercharger... I just dont know where they go / how they fit together.
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • jairaj
    watch this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe9afh_how-to-install-chainring_sport

just replace the large ring with the bash instead. apart from that the procedure is the same.
  • Mr OCD
    jairaj wrote:
    watch this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe9afh_how-to-install-chainring_sport

just replace the large ring with the bash instead. apart from that the procedure is the same.

Perfect! thank you ... I can see what I was doing wrong now ... 8) :lol:

Cranking arm goes INSIDE the bash guard... washers used for smallest ring 8)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • jairaj
    failing that just cover everything in super glue :P

(disclaimer: that last comment is a joke)
  • Mr OCD
    Ok nearly done... crank and shifters sorted just need to set the gears up properly which I'm struggling with to be honest...

I know the process of setting the high / low screws. I've done this but it doesn't shift very well at all ... is this likely to be cable tension?

On my SRAM kit (this is shimano I'm doing) I set the high screw on the biggest front ring and second to smallest rear using the shifter cable ... I do the same with the low screw using second inner rear ring and smallest front ring...

But did notice the deraileur also has two other screws... one is a b screw (clearance from derailer cog to smallest cog on cassette?) but not sure what the other is for ...
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • nicklouse
    Mr OCD wrote:
    one is a b screw (clearance from derailer cog to smallest cog on cassette?) but not sure what the other is for ...

no it is for setting the clearance to the Big cog. 6mm

again download and read the manuals it will make you life so much easier.

if you have not changed the ring sizes all you need to do to the front mech is screw in the outer stop screw.
  • jairaj
    should've listened to this guy:
    nicklouse wrote:
    and try reading the manual or park tools.

Have a read of this for the front mech:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

and this for the rear mech:
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailler-adjustments-derailleur

Read this through carefully so you understand each step and have a go setting up from scratch. Thats exactly what I did and got good working gears first time.
  • Mr OCD
    That's what I have used previously to setup my SRAM stuff ... I'm obviously missing something somewhere ... so will start again.
    2009 Carrera Fury