Rear mech issue

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I fitted a new sram x7 rear mech (9pd) two weeks ago and its worked fine until today, I cannot get it to shift between the second smallest and the smallest sprocket. I shift down and the shifter releases more cable but the mech doesnt move, when I give it a little tug it moves into position and the chain shifts into the smallest sprocket. I've spent the past two hours adjusiting cable tension, limit screws etc but it just wont shift properly. Is the spring buggered? Seems weird considering I only fitted it two weeks back and have done maybe 60 miles.

If i dump the casstte from say the largest to the smallest sprocket in one go it shifts ok its just when I try to change from 8 to 9 and sometimes 7 to 8 that the problem arises.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clean the cables, and lube them. Also make sure all the outers are cut flush and the ferrules are not adding friction.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Cheers SS, the cable was frayed to hell when I took it out the rear mech so off to the lbs tommorow morning to get a new one! When the cable was unbolted the mech shifted down to the smallest sprocket fine, so it looks like it was the cable causing the problem.
  • camy151
    camy151 Posts: 32
    I was suffering from the same problem with an x9, even when I undone the cable it still wouldn't move down, Lbs checked mech and said it hadn't been bashed so it has been sent back to SRAM