How much you expect to pay for LBS BB work?

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just been quoted a price for some BB work and wondering how much you would expect for such work to be done.

Taking out the old Octalink BB+chainset
Facing of frame
Putting in external BB and new chainset(not including the price of the new chainset+BB,just the remove/instal work)

?

DIY tools would be £22.47 then incl grease £28.46

jThe age old question it seems of DIY vs bike shop
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Just been quoted a price for some BB work and wondering how much you would expect for such work to be done.

Taking out the old Octalink BB+chainset
    Facing of frame
    Putting in external BB and new chainset(not including the price of the new chainset+BB,just the remove/instal work)

?

DIY tools would be £22.47 then incl grease £28.46

jThe age old question it seems of DIY vs bike shop

DIY tools would be a hell of a lot more than that.

if you were getting the cranks and BB from the shop about 25 for the face and chase.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • £20 - £35 depending on LBS?
  • AndrewBF
    AndrewBF Posts: 20
    £20-£25 so long as the frame is in OK condition.

Where can you get the facing tools for that much money? Are you sure that's not just the price of the BB extraction tools?

And is a facing *really* necessary.
    Follow @mtb365 on Twitter
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Facing is necessary. Can be difficult to see without actually doing it - I have seen external cranks fitted where the faces are so far off the axle would not pass through the external cup on the opposite side. Even slightly off wears the bearings down quick.
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    i have just had that exact work done yesterday! :D

i got charged £12 for a face and chase

and £15 labour - removing the old chainset and BB, and then fitting the new external BB and new chainset.

so £27, maybe slightly over the odds by a couple of quid, but they did a good job, and they are 5 mins down the road.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Having read some of your previous threads I would pay to have it done.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for replys

I did the wheels a few days ago and also done the cassette ect and found that fine.

The DIY tools i listed price wise was just for the extraction of the BB+chainset and the installation of new chainset.

I got quoted £48.35 for bike shop for the removal of old BB+chainset, frame being faced and installation of new external BB with chainset..Of that £15 labour costs included.

Other bike shop quoted £40 for installation of new BB+chainset, £20 of that being just for the frame face.

not sure where you get £25-35 quid from but it isnt in north london sadly. so atm it swings and round-a-bouts with costs.If i go with DIY it looks like £30 saving ish
  • AndrewBF
    AndrewBF Posts: 20
    @supersonic - I guess that answers the question. If the axle / inner plastic insert don't meet exactly and smoothly then there is something up. At that point I'd look to have facing done.

But I don't believe it is always necessary.
    Follow @mtb365 on Twitter
  • nicklouse
    AndrewBF wrote:
    @supersonic - I guess that answers the question. If the axle / inner plastic insert don't meet exactly and smoothly then there is something up. At that point I'd look to have facing done.

But I don't believe it is always necessary.

it should always be checked if you are not 100% sure it has been done. New frames included.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I heard that new frames dont need facing from some people i spoke to who have had simular work done but didnt need facing.

Why could this be? the frame in question is a rockhopper 2008 M4
  • cooldad
    You seem to be particularly hung up about facing.
    Are you talking about a new frame, or a frame off a new bike?
    A new frame is a new frame, and may or may not have been faced. If you don't know for sure, get it done.
    A built up new bike may or may not have been faced.
    Your bike had a cartridge BB, so would not have been faced for an external BB, so it's all academic anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The issue with facing is the cost of the tools, and for a shop the problem with facing is damage to the tools through use. It costs around £150ish for replacement cutters for a fairly cheap facing tool, and whilst they do last a long time they don't last forever.

I'd say somewhere in the region of £30 for the whole job.

What I don't understand is why you've got a bill of £48.35 with £15 labour for a labour only job. Why don't you just ask them to remove the old one and chase the threads and face the tube? That way you'll have the tools you need for your new cranks without the outlay for the old ones.
  • ride_whenever
    also "cheap" facing (plus tapping and chasing) tool

Personally if I really had beef supporting my lbs then i'd just fit it without facing and buy 16 and a bit deore HT2 bb!!!!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Even slightly off

Your call.
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    I got charged £15 for removing a stuck BB cup, facing and tapping the frame and installing a new BB.
  • i've never had a frame faced.... always used external BB's....never had any problems either.
  • nicklouse
    i've never had a frame faced.... always used external BB's....never had any problems either.

not like you keep them for long though.
  • ride_whenever
    ADL wrote:
    I got charged £15 for removing a stuck BB cup, facing and tapping the frame and installing a new BB.

Whereabouts was that and did you buy the BB from them?
  • What seems to be different between the bike shops i called is how they all use different price methods.

Some just class any BB work as gear/drivetrain service so charge you a flat rate for it.including labour costs

While others useally the smaller bike shops dont seem to know exactly what to charge so just pick a number out of the air,then stick labour charge onto it, which kinda puts you off from going to them.

I personally think it depends where you live, i did a test and phoned up a place further north of where i live and they quoted around £14 cheaper, so it clearly isnt consistant it seems
  • ADL
    ADL Posts: 138
    ADL wrote:

Whereabouts was that and did you buy the BB from them?
    http://www.beelinebicycles.co.uk/
    The BB was purchased from another place.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    i've never had a frame faced.... always used external BB's....never had any problems either.

not like you keep them for long though.

frames...

But I keep the components. BB has been going for a year and still feels fine. Been on 2 unfaced frames.
  • nicklouse
    as far as you know.

like we keep on saying some frame dont need it. but they all should be checked as friday frame will kill bearings.

yours were most likely with in the tolerance.

I have seen 2K frames with were that far out you would cry. Well you could not actually fit the axle.
  • well yeah, I should say that I do visually check the frames. I've taken a small bit of paint over spray off but thats about it.

I think if it was clearly obvious when fitting the BB that there was a misalignment due to the frame needing to be faced, i'd get it done properly.
  • cooldad
    What seems to be different between the bike shops i called is how they all use different price methods.

Some just class any BB work as gear/drivetrain service so charge you a flat rate for it.including labour costs

While others useally the smaller bike shops dont seem to know exactly what to charge so just pick a number out of the air,then stick labour charge onto it, which kinda puts you off from going to them.

I personally think it depends where you live, i did a test and phoned up a place further north of where i live and they quoted around £14 cheaper, so it clearly isnt consistant it seems

Errrrr welcome to the world. I think you'll find a house in London is a bit more than one in Bradford, similarly rents, wages etc.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    What seems to be different between the bike shops i called is how they all use different price methods.

Errrrr welcome to the world. I think you'll find a house in London is a bit more than one in Bradford, similarly rents, wages etc.
    :lol::lol: