Busiest time of day for traffic (London-centric)

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I've found myself commuting at either end of the so-called rush hours recently and found quite a noticeable difference in the volume of vehicle traffic, with earlier tending to be quieter than later both in the morning and evening. The Embankment was less clogged up at 7.30am than 10.30am, and the first time I commuted down Ken High St to Hammersmith at 6.30pm it was a complete nightmare and I thought about finding another rote but at 5.30pm it was almost completely clear and a totally different experience.

Do you guys notice a big difference in traffic depending on what time you set off? Of course 5am/10pm are going to be quieter but how about 5pm vs 6.30pm or 7.30am vs 9.30am? Have you changed the hours you work to take advantage of quieter/better traffic conditions?
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Does it have anything to do with the congestion charge times/

Yesterday, I left at 6pm and it was clogged up - I have a feeling that's going to happen a lot more now because of all the tourist coaches parking up before Westminster Bridge.

Leaving at 7.15am was nicer because I miss the school run close to home, but still found Embankment to be backed-up as you approach Horseguards.

In conclusion, I have found that it's completely hit and miss. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I had to go home early to dentist yday and the west end was a nightmare at 2pm, far busier than at 5.30 -6.30pm
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I find lunchtime to be the worst. If I'm working half day, getting home is a pain in the bum.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tobermory
    tobermory Posts: 138
    there seems to be no rush hour it last all day long
    Never trust anyone who says trust me
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    A massive difference.

I get to Barbican around 7:30am, which is before rush hour really.

There's really not that many cyclists around, but I have noticed an increase in the summer months.

I leave at 5:15pm, which is basically around rush hour, and...well...it's rush hour, loads more cyclists 'n traffic in general.

It's a lot more relaxing in the morning :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think its quietest (but not quiet) between 2 AM and 4 AM.

Between 0400 and 0200 its just crazy!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I think its quietest (but not quiet) between 2 AM and 4 AM.

Between 0400 and 0200 its just crazy!

having ridden home through London on my "night shift" a fair few times in the last 3 months i can agree.

1 am at new spitalfields is mental
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    On some roads I notice that, after 7, cars are allowed to use bus lanes. Sometimes if I'm out at about 7.01pm, I notice drivers start to swerve from traffic clogged lanes into the bus lane, often without much of a check....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    On some roads I notice that, after 7, cars are allowed to use bus lanes. Sometimes if I'm out at about 7.01pm, I notice drivers start to swerve from traffic clogged lanes into the bus lane, often without much of a check....

It is amazing how many people don't read the bus lane restriction signs and don't drive in them when they are allowed to. Allows me (when driving) to make good & rapid progress :D

(obv not speeding and looking out for cyclists etc)
  • Headhuunter
    On another note, weren't the roads in SE London noticeably clearer this morning? The ride as far as London Bridge through Deptford was much quieter than usual. Got busier again in central London though...
  • Pufftmw
    It was - A2 was shut at Eltham which may have helped

I set a pb coming into work as well :)
  • Headhuunter
    Pufftmw wrote:
    It was - A2 was shut at Eltham which may have helped

I set a pb coming into work as well :)

Yeah it was a delight whizzing along. I just assumed it was the sheer number of people who had booked today off to get away for the long weekend early...
  • Pufftmw wrote:

It is amazing how many people don't read the bus lane restriction signs and don't drive in them when they are allowed to. Allows me (when driving) to make good & rapid progress :D

(obv not speeding and looking out for cyclists etc)

sadly the illiterate arseholes several of the local boroughs employ to operate the bus lane cameras from a comfy control centre love to send fines out for vehicles using them in the time they are allowed to.

the time saved by using them is eroded very rapidly when you put the time appealing against the wrongful issue of a ticket. 34 so far.

there used to be one on Well street in Hackney that didn't have the coperating hour sign which makes it a road wih a lot of red and white paint on it. had a traffic car pull me once while i was using it , he went away having learnt something for the day.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Pufftmw
    Strange - I've not had any so far. I turn to R4 and use the pips on the hour to denote when safe/not. Its not one our couriers get hit for either.

I am slightly OCD