For the bald community.

2»

Comments

• squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    ju5t1n wrote:
    I went for the clippers for the first time last week – I lasted until I was 39 but now it's over for me and hair.

It actually dawned on my yesterday how much it's going to cost in trips to the barbers to keep it trimmed and I was thinking of buying some clippers.

So my questions are... is it easy to do? or does it require some practice? or should I train the wife? And, are all clippers pretty much the same? Or can anyone recommend a particular brand?

It's pretty easy to clipper it down to a #1 yourself, but it's always worth getting the other half to check it over and trim any clumps you've missed to avoid that escapee from the asylum look!

I bought a babyliss shaver about 10 years ago for £16 and it only needed replacing last Christmas.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    Yeah, i'd agree with squeeler. I am on my second pair of clippers. In my early 20's I just used to cut my own hair, saved me loads of money. The trimming of the neck area is usually a job for the wife though.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ju5t1n wrote:
    So my questions are... is it easy to do? or does it require some practice? or should I train the wife? And, are all clippers pretty much the same? Or can anyone recommend a particular brand?

Get ceramic clippers as metal ones need occasional lubrication and don't seem to last as long.
    If you are down to a No.1 all over then it is very simple but getting the wife to use a razor to tidy up the neck occasionally keeps it neater.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    Well I'm totally bald.

Except on my head.

Love n hugs

DD

:shock:
  • been using clippers on me bonce for many years now. it got so fine and patchy it looks stupid. grade zero with the babyliss clippers then grade zero with the phillips clippers. feels like a peach. not going to do the bic thing yet .

best one is not clipping the goptee for a few weeks but doing the head. people tend to move out of the way . or is that the orange boiler suit that does that . :)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    Definately invest in a good quality pair of ceramic blade clippers. Rechargeable are easier then you can cut your hair wherever you like. The garden's a good place as you don't have to sweep up the mess.

I have a number 1 cut all over that the wife does for me. I can do it myself but she trims around the back of my neck to neaten it up. Of course you want to avoid getting bits of hair all over her clothes so she has to do it naked :wink:
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Is this some kind of wind up, I mean in your avatar you have a fine head of hair Rick....true its a tad grey but still you're no Kojak.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    A couple of years ago on a trip to Egypt, the local market sellers thought shouting HEY BALDY! would be a good way of attracting my business.

Cheeky bastards.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    When I was last in Egypt they were shouting 'Hey whitey' at me!

Must be part of the Tourist Office's guidelines.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yep, don't panic. My boyfriend's bald on the top, ginger on the sides and I still think he's gorgeous! (And he lost his hair at 18). Plus think how much money you'll save on shampoo!

I used to go to the barbers maybe 3 times a year.

Now it's every month, else it looks ridiculous....!

I have less hair and am paying more for it.

Rick it could be worse. I see plenty of men trying to hide their MPB with comb overs and syrups but it just looks obvious. When I started losing mine after a very bad time with depression, I bit the bullet and went down to a No. 1. That was over 11 years ago. I still think I have hair until I look in a mirror.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I'm 23 and massively balding.

Same here, not only is it receding but also thining out on top, i'll be rocking the monk look by the time i'm 25!!!

Out of the blue I got a call from "Advanced Hair Studios" the other day offering me a "free" consultation.....I think someone gave them my number as a bit of a joke!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Mine start around 23, was fully gone in 5 years (36 now), clippered for years now and razor it during the summer, I think it just stopped me having anymore cr@p hairstyles and I prefer not having any, it's more aero anyway.
  • Things will improve in middle age, as your non-balding peers start going grey and by comparison you'll be looking years younger than them (especially if also keeping middle-aged fat away through cycling).
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Things will improve in middle age, as your non-balding peers start going grey and by comparison you'll be looking years younger than them (especially if also keeping middle-aged fat away through cycling).

^^^ This ^^^

Currently making the transition to bare blade.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As this thread has been resurrected, have you had the head buzzed yet Rick?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    daviesee wrote:
    As this thread has been resurrected, have you had the head buzzed yet Rick?

S'not quite at that stage yet.

But it's certainly much shorter than I used to have it.

Girlfriend dropped another clanger yesterday. "if you could change one......oh, your balding"
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    I'm balding, have had a No 0 for the last 10 years, been single all that time. Go figure!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Forehead wrote:
    I'm balding, have had a No 0 for the last 10 years, been single all that time. Go figure!

There's a difference between bald and ugly.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Forehead wrote:

It's a fine line...
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Forehead wrote:

It's a fine line...

That's all in your mind.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."