Tour of Britain Route

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited April 2011 in Pro race
tob2011_map_600.jpg

Caerphilly Mountain - excellent. I've always wanted to see how they go up there.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    It looks a good route, but once again it suffers from massive transfers - Wells to Bury St Edmunds is 225 miles, on a Friday afternoon. Genius.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    split stage in London.

Oo err.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    andyp wrote:
    It looks a good route, but once again it suffers from massive transfers - Wells to Bury St Edmunds is 225 miles, on a Friday afternoon. Genius.

Does seem a little crazy. Problem they have is the funding from the regional development agencies. Something along the south coast would have made more sense.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Excellent........another year with a stage that starts and finishes in Stoke :D We've also got a round of the Tour Series again!

Hopefully we can finally get a British winner this year.........
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    [insert tiresome post moaning about how the ToB should be going through Place X rather than Place Y here] :wink:
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    Looks pretty good. I might make the trip up again to the final stage - I like the idea of the ITT!

Yeah, the transfers are long. but how do you cover a country with a coastline of 30,000km of coastline in a 1500km race?
  • andyp wrote:

If the route is spread out, like it is, chances are there's a stage local to more people. OK, not great for the riders, but better for spectators?
  • For anyone that is interested in the East Anglia region (or just interested) found this link for the Bury St Edmunds legs which has a bit more detail of the route...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13132280
  • andyp
    If the route is spread out, like it is, chances are there's a stage local to more people. OK, not great for the riders, but better for spectators?

I'd agree with you on this if the 200 mile transfer took them to somewhere other than Norfolk.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    tob2011_map_600.jpg

Caerphilly Mountain - excellent. I've always wanted to see how they go up there.

If it finishes in Caerphilly, they won't - the Wenallt is to the South.

Strava is not Zen.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    calvjones wrote:

The blurb that went with the map (on CyclingNews) says that they're going up it. I can't find a detailed map. My hope is they go through Caerphilly and go up the climb starting near the station and finish at the burger bar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Looks good and covering England, Scotland and Wales in the same year for a change. The route seems to have been announced much earlier this year. Glad to see it is still happening as with all the cuts I thought it would be gone. Caerphilly Mountain will be OK but fairly tame compared to many hills in the area really.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    blackpool, stoke, somerset and devon. YAWN!

according to the official website the stage from kendal will be a sprinters stage,what a waste!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    ...dips quill in ink and prepares to write another missive to the Scottish Parliament requesting the funding to facilitate more stages in God's own land.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    My hope is they go through Caerphilly and go up the climb starting near the station and finish at the burger bar.

That would be ace, a decent climb that, would make a good finish. The climb up from Thornhill, Cardiff was used in a pro race in the 90's, can't remember if it was the Kellog or PruTour.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Tusher wrote:
    ...dips quill in ink and prepares to write another missive to the Scottish Parliament requesting the funding to facilitate more stages in God's own land.

happy to see a stage back in Scotland but......without being too critical .Peebles to Dumfries does seem incredibly dull, the geographical make up of Scotland probably makes it as good if not better than most places in the Uk for a corker of a stage but logistics and lack of regions willing to stump up the cash means we have what we have.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Just looks a bit same-ish to me. We've got loads fo great countryside, fabulous hills, but it's ... all just a bit the same.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

The blurb that went with the map (on CyclingNews) says that they're going up it. I can't find a detailed map. My hope is they go through Caerphilly and go up the climb starting near the station and finish at the burger bar.

That would be great. However, I feel they haven't tried very hard with the route really. I'm going to have to bike at least 4 miles from the house to see it :D :evil:

Strava is not Zen.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I am pleased its coming locally to me again and the sportive might offer me an incentive to get training (or a new bike).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Whilst it is easy to criticise that the race looks similar to last year people should appreciate that those areas have remained committed to helping finance the race in these tough economic times. The reason it looks so similar to last year is presumably because none of the other areas have been prepared to bid for stages. Try lobbying your local authority rather than criticising the organisers for going to the same areas again.
  • I am pleased its coming locally to me again and the sportive might offer me an incentive to get training (or a new bike).

You need an incentive to buy a new bike? Call yourself an cyclist!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    New house and missus about to deliver our first child!!!

There are loads of obstructions right now :lol:
  • AndyRubio
    Seven (count'em!) of the 18 pro Tour teams are taking part. Should we be grateful that they are deigning to set foot on our soil?

I guess ToB is good practice for the young riders to get in for more worthy races elsewhere in Europe.

(Subtext fo the hard of hearing: why haven't we got a better national stage race?)

- AN Post Sean Kelly Cycling Team (Ireland)
    - Colnago CSF Inox (Italy)
    - Endura Racing (Britain)
    - Garmin Cervelo (USA)
    - Leopard Trek (Luxembourg)
    - Motorpoint (Britain)
    - Rabobank (Netherlands)
    - Rapha Condor Sharp (Britain)
    - Sigma Sport - Specialized (Britain)
    - Sky Professional Cycling Team (Britain)
    - Team Europcar (France)
    - Team HTC - Highroad (USA)
    - Team NetApp (German)
    - Team Raleigh (Britain)
    - Topsport Vlaanderen - Mercator (Belgium)
    - Vacansoleil DCM (Netherlands)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Pross wrote:
    Whilst it is easy to criticise that the race looks similar to last year people should appreciate that those areas have remained committed to helping finance the race in these tough economic times. The reason it looks so similar to last year is presumably because none of the other areas have been prepared to bid for stages. Try lobbying your local authority rather than criticising the organisers for going to the same areas again.
    I think that's fair enough but the route for the Stoke stage looks the same as last year but just missing out Hollinsclough Moor. There's plenty of potential to mix up the route around there, I don't think it even makes it in to the Peak District. They could easily throw Winnats or Mow Cop in there but I suppose they could put a few of the riders off so it's more a case of stick to what you know.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    Tusher wrote:

Can't see the Scottish Parliment funding stages in Ireland...but thanks for the support !
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    If ithe race is as good as last year I'll be happy.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Aargh! Just realised that the Peebles-Dumfries stage is the same day as Pedal for Scotland.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    The Devon stage looks interesting, though they retrace their steps on the bit from Moretonhampstead to Whiddon Down. That said, there's a good mix of climbing (e.g., the pull up to Haytor), plus some really fast sections (depending on the wind direction, Whiddon Down to Bovey Tracey, North Tawton to Crediton, and the Woodbury Common sections could be fliers).

All I've got to decide now is where to go to watch (assuming I can arrange time off work) - do I go down to Exmouth (just down the road from me) to see the finish (thereby missing less work), or do I make a day of it and go onto Dartmoor to see 'em suffer first? Whatever, it's going to be a treat seeing them on roads that I know well.
  • andyp
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Seven (count'em!) of the 18 pro Tour teams are taking part. Should we be grateful that they are deigning to set foot on our soil?

I guess ToB is good practice for the young riders to get in for more worthy races elsewhere in Europe.

(Subtext fo the hard of hearing: why haven't we got a better national stage race?)

- AN Post Sean Kelly Cycling Team (Ireland)
    - Colnago CSF Inox (Italy)
    - Endura Racing (Britain)
    - Garmin Cervelo (USA)
    - Leopard Trek (Luxembourg)
    - Motorpoint (Britain)
    - Rabobank (Netherlands)
    - Rapha Condor Sharp (Britain)
    - Sigma Sport - Specialized (Britain)
    - Sky Professional Cycling Team (Britain)
    - Team Europcar (France)
    - Team HTC - Highroad (USA)
    - Team NetApp (German)
    - Team Raleigh (Britain)
    - Topsport Vlaanderen - Mercator (Belgium)
    - Vacansoleil DCM (Netherlands)

I only see six World Tour teams in that list.
  • AndyRubio
    Apols yes, Europcar don't belong in there. But still...