Sigma computers - anyone have one?

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Thinking of getting a new computer; my Polar is great, but shelling out for replacement wireless sensors is an expensive game. Quite like the idea of the Sigma Rox 8.0; anyone got one (or any of the other Sigma computers)? What do you think of it?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a wireless computer which will show all of the following simultaneously:
Speed
Distance
HR
Cadence
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I've got a Cateye V3 Triple, and, though i've only done about 1000 miles on it, I have no complaints so far. A fair bit cheaper than the Sigma (got mine for under £100, just) it'll show you speed, HR and cadence (simultaneously) with a fourth variable of your choice (distance, time, calories, or a few others that I can't remember).

All three components (computer, HRM and single wireless sensor that does both speed and cadence) take the same CR2032 batteries, I've had no problems with crosstalk from other riders or interference from LEDs.

If I had to niggle about one thing, it'd be that the cadence digits are a little small - I'm young and have good eyes, and actually in daylight it's fine, but even with the backlight, at night it's a little irritating.

Still, I'm happy - it's a good buy and there's so much more it could do if I learnt how - HR zone training, lap functions...
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    mudcow007 wrote:

Do you have one of these? Any good?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

Do you have one of these? Any good?

ive got the poor mans version, GPSport 245. The 260 wasnt out when i got mine, but im really thinking of trading mine in

mine is pretty good, i love the way you just clip it on to your bike without any setting up tyre sizes etc
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Am I being silly? Looks like it can only measure one of speed or cadence using that sensor at the back. Only question is: how much of a constraint is that if it's getting speed info from GPS?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I've used a couple of the cheaper Sigma computers (1009 STS and 1609) in the past and was very happy/impressed with them. Typical German engineering etc...

The only problem I had was that my front LED light caused havoc with the wireless transmitter meaning that I couldn't use it on my commuter bike. I replaced it with a different model wired Sigma which I was again very happy with, but I now use a Garmin 705 for anything non-commute related.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • phy2sll2 wrote:
    Am I being silly? Looks like it can only measure one of speed or cadence using that sensor at the back. Only question is: how much of a constraint is that if it's getting speed info from GPS?

You'd have to buy two sensors: one for speed, one for cadence.
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    pianoleo,
    what's the battery life been like on your Cateye V3?
    Thinking about the V2c but read somewhere it eats batteries...........
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Seems to have been fine so far. Changed the ones for the wireless sensor and the computer at around 500 miles, and haven't changed the HRM battery yet. Using trusty Panasonic batteries from 7dayshop - got them on offer at 12 for £3!
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    Only 500 miles for battery life!
    That's Cateye off the list then......far too short for battey life.
  • I've got a couple of Sigma 1606s. Got cadence sensor on 1 of the bikes. They have been great. Batteries need changing about once a year but are very cheap. I'd prefer sigma computers over the Cateye ones I've had in the past.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem