Endomondo

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2011 in Commuting chat
A mate has just recommended I download this for my smartphone (old HTC Touch HD about to be upgraded in June to the Sensation)

Is it any good for tracking your cycling? Does anyone have any experience of it? I'm a little wary of a site that is asking me to send them my phone number so they can text me an application.

I can't find the cost of the text and would hate to find I've just paid £10 for something without being warned.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• straas
    straas Posts: 338
    I use it but havn't heard about getting it by text, can't you just download it from the market?

It's not bad but the gps in phones doesn't seem to be spot on - max speeds up to 75mph in some cases!
    FCN: 6
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Very good (IMO).

See a route here http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/9201236

You should be able to download it for free. Just search for Endomondo in the Market/online.

Privacy for maps and route info can be set seperately, so everyone can see I was out cycling for X miles, but only friends/me can see the actual route. It can link to facebook/twitter automatically, and you can set up group challenges.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there is a free version and a paid version for the iPhone so i would look again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    Very good (IMO).

See a route here http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/9201236

You should be able to download it for free. Just search for Endomondo in the Market/online.

Privacy for maps and route info can be set seperately, so everyone can see I was out cycling for X miles, but only friends/me can see the actual route. It can link to facebook/twitter automatically, and you can set up group challenges.

I think its the Group challenges that set it apart from other apps. Personally I prefer Cardiotrainer (Android).
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Not used that one, however Sportypal is pretty good despite the crap name & seems quite accurate. I think there's an Android version of Sportstracker due out soon - it's also similar but will also sync with a Polar HR strap apparently.
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • bails87
    You can connect a HR monitor with endomondo too.
    MTB/CX

• Kieran_Burns
    just got the text and installed - all the text contains is a link to the download itself. Looks very clean so far.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    bails87 wrote:
    You can connect a HR monitor with endomondo too.

Ahaa - didn't know that, might have a peek too!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    it's ok but the speeds and distances can be off; for instance, my commute follows the same route each day but there can be 0.5mile difference between days at times and I've had max speeds of 60mph and also 25mph whilst out running.

I'm using it as a means of tracking miles and putting these into a spreadsheet to work out the cost per mile in terms of parts / tyres etc. bought and installed on the bikes. Currently working out at 11p per mile; not helped having just bought some stuff from the CRC private sale.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i've ended up using http://www.strava.com has a iphone app but also you can import from GPX files and what not.

as I'm not intrested on data on the ride but can be fun to have a look after with a cup of tea.
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    works well for me on the route itself but as said speeds can be a little off if you lose the gps signal. it recorded me as doing a max speed of 100KPH on my MTB ffs!!!
    I would have to ridden it off Beachy Head to get it up to that
  • I find it a nice app but frustratingly the battery life on my HTC Hero is abysmal when the GPS is on to the point it runs out mid-ride. I tried strapping a powemonkey to the frame (external battery) which helps a bit.

Been trawling the 'net to se if anyone recommends a GPS enabled phone that runs it which has useable battery life.
  • gareth1234
    gareth1234 Posts: 107
    Nokia 5800 is what I use, longest I've been out with it was 4 hrs and it still didn't die
  • bails87
    moonbucket
    Try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=712990
    1) Turn your device ON and Charge the device for 8 hours or more 2) Unplug the device and Turn the phone OFF and charge for 1 hour 3) Unplug the device Turn ON wait 2 minutes and Turn OFF and charge for another hour Your battery life should almost double, we have tested this on our devices and other agents have seen a major difference as well

It really works. I get a full days use out of my Desire, including almost 2 hours of tracking my commutes.[/quote]
    MTB/CX

• Thx chaps, I'll try the battery life trick first. I think I know someone who just ditched a nokia 5800 for a new phone so that could be an option if I could nab it cheap.

:)
  • I've just started using this as well, and was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was between the different types of cycling entries?

If I set my morning commute to "cycling - transportation", it tells me I burn 805 calories. Setting it to "cycling - sport" tells me 1,350 or thereabouts, and mountain biking comes up with 1,850-odd.

Obviously there's a clear difference between off road with fat tyres and on the road with skinny ones, but I'm bemused as to when cycling on the road would cross over from transportation to sport?

I've only just started the commute, and I'm averaging around 15mph when I'm actually moving (drops to 12.5mph with traffic lights and the like). Not sure what I need to get that speed up to before it counts as "sport"! :lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    moonbucket wrote:
    I find it a nice app but frustratingly the battery life on my HTC Hero is abysmal when the GPS is on to the point it runs out mid-ride. I tried strapping a powemonkey to the frame (external battery) which helps a bit.

Been trawling the 'net to se if anyone recommends a GPS enabled phone that runs it which has useable battery life.

I used to have a Hero, and IIRC you could put it in Airplane mode (or at least turn off data) and still be able to use GPS. Which is all you really need to record your rides.
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    I've just started using this as well, and was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was between the different types of cycling entries?

If I set my morning commute to "cycling - transportation", it tells me I burn 805 calories. Setting it to "cycling - sport" tells me 1,350 or thereabouts, and mountain biking comes up with 1,850-odd.

Obviously there's a clear difference between off road with fat tyres and on the road with skinny ones, but I'm bemused as to when cycling on the road would cross over from transportation to sport?

I've only just started the commute, and I'm averaging around 15mph when I'm actually moving (drops to 12.5mph with traffic lights and the like). Not sure what I need to get that speed up to before it counts as "sport"! :lol:

I think the guide on the site is about 16mph avg speed for sport, anything below is transport.
    The calories burned is a pretty rough guess though so I wouldn't worry about it.
    FCN: 6
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I've just started using this as well, and was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was between the different types of cycling entries?

I ignore the calories and just use the categories for the different bikes; transport = hybrid, sport = CX, mountain bike = MTB
  • Kieran_Burns
    A little weird on the speed this morning.

I have no idea where the hell I did 34.1mph. I could swear the fastest I did was about 27mph. Still it did confirm I was flying up the last stretch on the A60, actually topping 20mph uphill and holding it 8)

Oh, and the mile markers on the map did confirm I was holding 25mph for 2 miles, a week back... that was nice :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    I normally use iMapmyride on my Desire. Seems pretty accurate although annoyingly does not pause the ride time when the bike is stationary :evil: . There are loads of lights in Brizzle and hence have to edit exercise times taking the reading off my CS200.

What does Endomondo offer above mapmy?
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Endomondo on HTC Desire very poor in comparison to Nokia's Sportstracker. Endo works well on BB though. The app is not as good as Sportstracker for data manipulation and the HTC seems incapable of holding a signal. I cycle in the highlands and the Nokia never once let me down.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    What you can do with endomondo, is dispense with the cr@ppy app and upload from yer garmin every night. the garmin is always accurate and you can still dial into the challenge
    s. I find mapmy a bit commercial ...too many adds and requests to up grade to gold membership for a fee!.
  • wyadvd
    oh and garmin has an option to pause time when stationary.
  • bails87
    wyadvd wrote:
    oh and garmin has an option to pause time when stationary.

So does Endomondo, and Nokia Sport Tracker.
    MTB/CX

• wyadvd
    maybe i need to update my version of endo, but cant find that option on my nokia....
  • bails87
    wyadvd wrote:
    maybe i need to update my version of endo, but cant find that option on my nokia....

I'm using it on a HTC Desire, so it may well be different. But it's in 'settings', under 'workout preference'. The second option is 'Auto Pause'.
    MTB/CX

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I tried it and it takes an age, or simply fails to find a GPS signal. It missed half my commute and the same thing happened when I went running. Worthless other than as a stop watch....

I have a Samsung Apollo.