Celebratory meal out?

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for a nice (if a little fancy) place to celebrate some good news with the girlfriend in London.

I'm keen on food, though, as someone's who's quite young a) my knowledge isn't great and b) I have no interest in wine.

Anyway, I had river cafe in the back of my mind but I've read reviews saying it's not worth it.

We're looking for European, but it needs to be special and unusual.

Any ideas?

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I can recommend Roussillon in SW1. Fantastic food and not over-priced for what you get. If you're after something special, try the Menu Degustation.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Why don't you take her up the Oxo Tower?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sketchley wrote:

Well he's already looking for tips on eating out....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Well he's already looking for tips on eating out....

Not a fan of chocolate...

Thanks Ketsbaia - will look into those. That tasting menu at Degustation looks really quite special...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Oxo is not chocolate. Just saying!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sketchley wrote:

over priced and not that great

Arbutus is very nice
    J Sheeky (fish restaurant)

How fancy are we talking about here?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    +1 on Arbutus, had a great meal there last weekend.
    Heard good things about Petrus.

If you like flash restaurants with a view, try Aqua Kyoto off Regents St.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I would recommend St Johns Bread and Wine in Spittalfields or the St Johns Restaurant in Smithfield.

Friendly price and spectacular food.

http://www.stjohnrestaurant.com/menu/lunch/
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rick_chasey
    Clank wrote:
    I would recommend St Johns Bread and Wine in Spittalfields or the St Johns Restaurant in Smithfield.

That was voted in the top 50 restaurants in the world only today!
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys - i've read good things about arbartus > looks like that'll be first choice.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    artaxerxes wrote:
    +1 on Arbutus, had a great meal there last weekend.
    Heard good things about Petrus.

If you like flash restaurants with a view, try Aqua Kyoto off Regents St.

Surely you mean Marcus Wearing? It's not been Petrus for a while now. I've got a table there next month, but it was booked in February.

Mrs A was organising this for someone the otherday:

http://www.the-connaught.co.uk/page.aspx?id=8488

I SO want to do that. Perhaps if I start saving now I can to it for my 40th.........
    (price quoted doesn't include the expensive bit; the wine).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,154
    My usual rec for taking your laydee...
    http://www.galvinatwindows.com/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Clever Pun
    Clank wrote:

and this is where I say the Ledbury
    http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners/the-ledbury

I've also been to Hibiscus which is rather nice and has great service and lovely tasting menu

St Johns been on it for quite a few years now, I'm not sure if that's cause they host it a fair bit..

It's great but maybe not so much a romantic meal though

----
    I'm off to Dinner at Hestons on Saturday and then Noma the following friday... yey
    Next month I'll mostly be poor
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have to say, I really don't think St John's food lives up to the hype. It's also definitely not a romantic venue.
  • Clever Pun
    I have to say, I really don't think St John's food lives up to the hype. It's also definitely not a romantic venue.

it's not top 50 imo like I said, they host the awards a fair bit...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Shalamar in Clapham

10046831.jpg

It's an institution. It's been around since the 80s/90s.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shalamar in Clapham

10046831.jpg

It's an institution. It's been around since the 80s/90s.

Hmmm now do I need to point you back to one of your own previous threads ...?

Step-away from the tasty chicken :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    Corrigans.

You'll get 5 courses if you include the amuse bouche and petit fours.

He might be in there as well if you're lucky ( was when I went - got a signed menu ! )

We sat at the bar ( not as bad or as big an issue as it sounds ) using a lastminute offer - 30pds titled "Homage to Briish Beef"

I see they're doing a 25pds 3 course ( which will include the other 2 "courses" ) with champagne at the moment. Check london-eating.

btw , like a lot of places in London you might find better/more attentive service if you go mon-fri
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Clank wrote:

and this is where I say the Ledbury
    http://www.theworlds50best.com/awards/1-50-winners/the-ledbury

I've also been to Hibiscus which is rather nice and has great service and lovely tasting menu

St Johns been on it for quite a few years now, I'm not sure if that's cause they host it a fair bit..

It's great but maybe not so much a romantic meal though

----
    I'm off to Dinner at Hestons on Saturday and then Noma the following friday... yey
    Next month I'll mostly be poor

Chapeau Asprilla! Gourmet! Dinner and Noma in succession... Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

+1 to Hibiscus. Ate there several years ago and did a few days in the kitchen (am in the cooking game) and he's very very good. One or 2 things I hated but thats out of hundreds. Wild and wonderful. The room's a bit blah but now am just being fussy.

So that's HIGH end- 2* Michelin. At least £150 without fancy wine.

My favourites of the last year or so: Boca di Lupo- super, funky, reasonably priced Italian; L'Autre Pied- sh*t hot fancy fine dining in casual environment, 2/3 the price of the starred places it compares to; Joel Rebuchon was great- and very good value at lunch time, lots of the best places are a fraction of the price for lunch. And finally, Yauatcha... I lurrrrrve dim sum... Hakkasan's little sister. 2 of us can pig out in a super cool Michelin starred Chinese for under £60 (although we drink green tea- cocktails will push a bill skywards).

Anybody tried Viajante?

Have now made myself hungry. :lol:

Enjoy!
    Commuter Clunker FCN 9/10
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • Regarding other suggestions- St John IS apparently still on Restaurant magazine's world top 50 last thing I read; not really romantic unless your other half has some quite outré tastes (bone marrow salad, trotter pie, pig's head to share...)

I liked Arbutus but it's quite simple for me- smart modern bistro more than event destination.

Petrus was run a couple of years ago by Marcus Waring who's now taken it over and is running it eponymously; the restaurant now going by that name is Gordon Ramsey sticking 2 fingers up at the former. Marcus Waring is said to be one of the very best in London; Petrus is not spoken of quite so highly.

Me and Mrs LCoG tried it up the Oxo Tower a couple of years ago but didn't like it at all. Friends were having a party and all the company didn't make it any better.

What about Bistrot Bruno Loubet? (Haven't been there- anyone vouch for it one way or the other?)
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • Clever Pun
    Hibiscus does a lunch tasting menu that's pretty reasonably priced

Also is you're not afraid to travel a little way... got to Bray and stay the night at the Waterside

obviously this sky rockets the price but it's really worth it.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys - booked Hibiscus in the end, for dinner.

Looking forward to the tasting menu. < Like I said I've eaten at fancy places avec the family on holiday once or twice but this is all a bit new to me. Really very excited.

Smart casual right? Shirt, smart jeans, smart shoes?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,154
    Some good top tips here.

I went to Alain Ducacasse at the Dorchester a few weeks back and the food there was very good (as it should be for a Ducasse).

Also if you fancy tasting menus then The Square, Pied a Terre and Maze all do good ones. A glass of wine with each course (about 8 or 9 courses) is very good but you do stop appreciating the finer points of the food after about course number 6 :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Clever Pun
    Cheers guys - booked Hibiscus in the end, for dinner.

Looking forward to the tasting menu. < Like I said I've eaten at fancy places avec the family on holiday once or twice but this is all a bit new to me. Really very excited.

yeah that should be fine, I went in flip flops I think. :lol: check the website just in case though.

you'll enjoy the food and ask/listen to the sommelier about what wine to choose
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Cheers guys - booked Hibiscus in the end, for dinner.

An excellent choice sir.

As long as you don't look like a builder just off a site you should be fine. Actually... probably best no lycra either. There are only a few places open to the public that still insist on jacket and tie (Waterside Inn being one of them Clever Pun?).
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Also if you fancy tasting menus then The Square, Pied a Terre and Maze all do good ones. A glass of wine with each course (about 8 or 9 courses) is very good but you do stop appreciating the finer points of the food after about course number 6

Maze was terrific when we went; very much made in the image of the head chef, Jason Atherton, who's left and is just opening his own gaff this week, with seperate dessert bar. Cake stop!?

I go on food forums too, to talk about cycling.
    Weekend Whippet FCN 3
    Resigned Boris Biker
  • Clever Pun
    nope Waterside was smart casual.. I didn't have a jacket.. I loved the way they all knew our names and there was a hand written note on the bed with chocolate covered almonds in a gift bag.. absolutely out of the top draw in every respect

I got asked to change out of flip flops at Nathan Outlaws but that's surf country and doesn't consider them shoes in anyway (it was amazing btw)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Regarding other suggestions- St John IS apparently still on Restaurant magazine's world top 50 last thing I read; not really romantic unless your other half has some quite outré tastes (bone marrow salad, trotter pie, pig's head to share...)

I liked Arbutus but it's quite simple for me- smart modern bistro more than event destination.

Petrus was run a couple of years ago by Marcus Waring who's now taken it over and is running it eponymously; the restaurant now going by that name is Gordon Ramsey sticking 2 fingers up at the former. Marcus Waring is said to be one of the very best in London; Petrus is not spoken of quite so highly.

Me and Mrs LCoG tried it up the Oxo Tower a couple of years ago but didn't like it at all. Friends were having a party and all the company didn't make it any better.

What about Bistrot Bruno Loubet? (Haven't been there- anyone vouch for it one way or the other?)

Bruno Loubet is very good. Very much a bistro rather than anything fancy but the food was spot on.

I'm also a massive fan of Terroirs near Charing Cross.

Making me hungry.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Top tips, chaps. Cheers!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."