Computer

thellama
thellama Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello!

I wondering if you can help?!

I'm currently waiting for my new bike to arrive (Cannondale Quick CX4) and im sorting out the various toys i want for it.

I had chosen a Ciclosport cm4.2 computer from wiggle as its not to expensive and i can add the cadence sensor to it later and even a heart rate belt if i ever feel the need.

The only problem is that ive been waiting for wiggle to get stock for the last 2 months and whenever i chase them over delivery date i get the same rubbish of it will be 2 - 7 days!

So, can anyone recommend an alternative to this computer please? Or even an alternative supplier who can actually deliver?

Many thanks,
Mike

Comments

• I recently bought an O-Synce computer from Wiggle. It's a wired one, as is my preference, but they did an optional cadence sensor for it for a mere £2. The whole lot cost me £15. I've been very impressed so far.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If it hasn't been delivered in the time frame they specified, I'd blame Wiggle (someone had to say it!)

Seriously, contact their customer services (email only I think these days) and kick up a stink. They are usually very good (Speed_King may disagree) at sorting problems out, but no-one is perfect.

Maybe just cancel the order and go with OE's suggestion.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • thellama
    thellama Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. The O-Synce one looks just what im after. I couldnt see the wood for the trees when looking earlier!

I have already been in contact with their customer services and just got a standard reply of it will be 2 to 7 days which is exactly what the website says.

Time to cancel and get the O-Synce instead i think.

A wired one would be my preference. Dont want to be faffing arround with making sure the sensors are all in range and changing tiny watch batteries.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    CRC have them in stock for £35.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Can anyone recommend a decent computer that does cadence, heartrate and elevation?
  • thellama wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. The O-Synce one looks just what im after. I couldnt see the wood for the trees when looking earlier!

I have already been in contact with their customer services and just got a standard reply of it will be 2 to 7 days which is exactly what the website says.

Time to cancel and get the O-Synce instead i think.

A wired one would be my preference. Dont want to be faffing arround with making sure the sensors are all in range and changing tiny watch batteries.

They also work a damn-sight more reliably. :D The O-Synce one I got was the Mini-Save one, with the optional cadence kit, which Wiggle seem to have sold out of. Shame about that.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a decent computer that does cadence, heartrate and elevation?

I use the Garmin Forerunner 305 - can be had for less than 100 quid these days - then add bike clip and cadence sensor. Very flexible, good battery life (10 hours), waterproof and will give you all the data you need.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    phy2sll2 wrote:

I use the Garmin Forerunner 305 - can be had for less than 100 quid these days - then add bike clip and cadence sensor. Very flexible, good battery life (10 hours), waterproof and will give you all the data you need.

That looks like a really neat solution, though a few of the reviews I read said the cadence / speed sensor was a bit iffy. Let in water and eventually gave up for quite a few people.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    @UE - regarding your comments on reliability of wired ones - do wired ones avoid the problem of interference from front lights making the readings go haywire, or do they suffer from this too?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    phy2sll2 wrote:

That looks like a really neat solution, though a few of the reviews I read said the cadence / speed sensor was a bit iffy. Let in water and eventually gave up for quite a few people.

Mine has lasted two Highland winters/summers. That said, Garmin's UK customer service is very good too (would replace my smashed 305 - it got runover - don't ask - for 50 quid). I think Garmin only have one type of cadence sensor so loads of people must be using them - I can't think it's that bad.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ian.B wrote:
    @UE - regarding your comments on reliability of wired ones - do wired ones avoid the problem of interference from front lights making the readings go haywire, or do they suffer from this too?

The only reliability problems from a wired one is the occasional miss of a revolution, with the O-Synce one I don't get that even. You get no interference issues, no cross-talk from other riders, no problems at all. They also turn themselves on when you start moving, rather than you having to press a button.

Wires are good.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Ian.B wrote:

The only reliability problems from a wired one is the occasional miss of a revolution, with the O-Synce one I don't get that even. You get no interference issues, no cross-talk from other riders, no problems at all. They also turn themselves on when you start moving, rather than you having to press a button.

Wires are good.

OK, thanks! I might look into that then