rims and hubs.

discurio
discurio Posts: 118
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I’m looking for some advice please. I use an old mountain bike for my commute most days and being a big boy I go through rear hubs pretty quickly. the latest one developed a clicking when riding so I took it to a store to have it serviced, when I got this back the noise was just as bad as when I took it too the bike shop.

When I returned to the store I was told it is knackered and I’d need a new one. I asked the guy if it’s worth spending some more money and buying a better quality hub for the rim but he said putting a new hub onto an old (18 months) rim is a pointless exercise. Then offered me a £250 rim and hub combo. This annoyed me somewhat so I have taken my business elsewhere and bought a new complete wheel because I wanted something that day.

Now I'm left with a perfectly good rim and knackered rear hub in my garage. I’m thinking of buying a front hub and having that laced onto the rim because the front rim has been on there for years and it would be nice to have two rims that match again (they haven't since I bought the bike years ago).

Sorry for the length of this post. Questions.

1 .Is the bike shop guy correct in saying I shouldn’t put a new hub on an old rim?
2. Can I buy a front hub that will match the rim? Are rims sold to be front or rear? The rim is a mavic 717
3. Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder in south/east London?
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1: no
    2: any will do. (some are but not in this case).
    3: no idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Whats the current hub?
  • discurio
    1. thanks nick
    2. thanks nick
    3. 2 outta three aint bad :lol:

anjs - the rims at home. I know its a shimano possibly a deore but most likely just a generic one.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Ok do you know what is wrong with the hub? If its not the cups that are pitted then buying a just a new hub and moving over the internals is the easy way of fixing this.
  • AndrewBF
    AndrewBF Posts: 20
    How many miles has the 717 done, and have they been commuter miles or off road bashes?

An arbitrary '18 months old' response seems odd. You or the LBS should be able to look at the rim and see if it is looking good or bad, and 18 months isn't what I'd call 'old'. A 717 should be pretty sturdy and robust to last for quite a while.

I'm always mixing and matching rims and hubs. Keep on using them until they do wear out.
    Follow @mtb365 on Twitter
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Agree that "18 months old rim" seems like a stupid copout.
    If he'd have said that it was a cheap-arse rim, and that putting a decent hub on it would be like putting lipstic on a pig, then that would make sense though.

How are you going through hubs by being a big bloke? I don't get it.

(and yes, I did manage to sneak in "arse rim" into a sentence :lol: )
  • discurio
    agreed on the rim lasting. its been doing 25 miles a day commuting since end of 09 so 18 months is a little over. as far as to whats wrong with the hub my technical expertise ends at "its making a clicking noise,"

the rim itself looks true, which is why im against just binning it.
    the hub was just a generic shimano one.

thanks for all the replies guys. most appreciated. :lol::lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are you on rim brakes or discs?

If rim brakes measure the sidewall thickness for wear...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, generic Shimano hubs can last forever. Maybe it's just the bearings that need a bit of work.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    The 717 is a VERY flimsy rim, but that depends on your riding style as much as your weight.
    If the rim is true, stick with it.

Try building your own wheels, it is surprisingly easy and fun.
    The only tool you need is a good quality spoke key. If you build in your frame you do not need a dishing tool or stand. I have those, but don't use as I prefer building in frame.

Just you tube it.

You have me curious, what wheel did they recommend?

Front hubs are very simple. there is very little between them.

Rear hubs is where the special stuff happens. If you keep blowing rear hubs you many have to invest a bit here. A lot are repairable, which one do you have and what broke in it?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    as per yeeha and anjs,

shimano hubs are pretty simple and last a long time if you can be bothered to open them up, inspect the cups and if these are ok change the other parts as and when, or just clean and regrease.

clicking is maybe the freehub?, again relacable..