Nobby Nic's - Fast rolling?

davenewcastle1973
davenewcastle1973 Posts: 146
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Having just started riding again about 6 months ago, and in training for the C2C in June, I have been commuting about 25 miles a day on my mmmBop but using Panaracer semi slicks (1.9) on the road as I was led to believe that this would be most efficient.

Yesterday morning I couldn't be bothered changing the Nobby Nics (2.25) so rode in/out on those.

Normally I would take about 2 hours to cover the distance but yesterday managed it in 1 hour 36 - without a huge amount of extra effort...

Are the Nobby Nics renowned for being quick rolling, or over the weekend have I become some kind of riding god?!
Ragley mmmBop
Yeti 575

Comments

• I went for an (offroad) ride on new Nobby Nics a few weeks ago and was surprised at how relatively quick I felt compared to the High Rollers I'd previously had on. Of course, it could also be that I'm fitter now after months of commuting, and that was probably the first mtb outing of the year... But the Nobbys certainly didn't seem to hold me back!
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • @ EnglishChris - what did you think of Nobbys grip wise compared to the Highrollers? The lack of grip the gap beweeen the shoulder treads and main treads on the Highrollers makes sometimes scares me! The Nobbys any better?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I like my NobbyNics...they roll OK....but they are not especially renowed for being that fast rolling....racing ralphs roll quicker...

perhaps you are just getting a bit fitter....

your original 12.5 mph average is about right for beginners....

16 mph average (25 miles over 1.5 hours) is more average rider...in 6 months, that is about the right knd of curve....

a tailwind can help :wink:

or even just that your body is learning how much output it can take over the distance, so you are using a more appropriate speed rather than keeping some in the tank for reserve....that you probably didn't need.

See how the commute goes over the next week or so for clearer picture though....one ride can be faster than others for a variety of reasons.

The nobbys definitely roll quicker than high rollers though....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I changed a HR for nobby nic on the front of my hardtail and found the rolling resistance was reduced and grip seems the same.
  • a tailwind can help? Well yeah it does, pretty much took me to work the other day without any effort

Im looking at some new fast rolling tyres, Ive tried Maxxis High rollers and the Ignitor, both are fantastic! So this is pretty interesting, il have to buy a pair of nobby nics :)

or do you have a different front and back set up?
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • Interesting what you say about wind - the last couple of weeks the headwind has been a complete bitch, maybe strengthened things up a bit!

Nobby Nics on both front and rear seem to be working on and off road really well, I had Nevegal Stick-e's (2.1) on before and this completely outshines them on both surfaces.

To be honest, I bought the Nobby's after someone on here mentioned they were half price at On One at the minute - I got the pair for £40 - Bargain! :D
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I have found NN to roll pretty well considering the 30/32psi (F/B) that I run them at.

£40 a pair is fantastic! Was that the Snake Skin version!?

EDIT: Just checked that they do have the SS at a great price, but are out of stock! :(
    Craig Rogers
  • @ EnglishChris - what did you think of Nobbys grip wise compared to the Highrollers? The lack of grip the gap beweeen the shoulder treads and main treads on the Highrollers makes sometimes scares me! The Nobbys any better?

Its hard to tell as I've only managed one ride on them so probably need to tweak the pressures, but they didn't seem less any grippy. I quite like the fact that there isn't quite such a pronounced gap on the shoulder compared to the HRs.

I got the same deal at On-One... bargain!
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • NN's make great winter tyres, but I wouldn't waste them on the road. Ralphs make great summer tyres.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for my jack of all on my SS HT 2.4 NN front and 2.4 Ralph on the rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown