How much of a difference can a seat post make?

rowings MTP
rowings MTP Posts: 31
edited April 2011 in Road buying advice
The clamp on my seat post seems to have had its day (won't hold an angle and the saddle keeps slipping), my question is how much of a difference will I see for forking out £150 compared to a £60-£70 one.

If it's a weight thing it would seem pretty hard to justify but will it drastically improve comfort etc?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. :?

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Is the clamp fukced or the post?
    I have Thomson stuff all round but if the clamp is no good so what?
    Seat posts are generally bits of tube. Its not about weight, more about posing.
  • I have gone from alloy posts to carbon posts on a couple of bikes and have found them to be more comfortable because they seem to dampen road buzz better and don't seem to send so much of a shock up the post on large bumps.

But the difference isn't that massive to me. Just a bit more comfort. I managed to get both posts for very cheap from a friend, so it was worth it. If you can get a good deal I would try out a carbon post to see what you think, but I wouldn't pay anywhere close to full price.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Specialized do a post with a Zertz insert. It was designed for the Roubaxi but I think a few models have it now. I'd be interested to know if it's worthwhile.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    unixnerd wrote:
    Specialized do a post with a Zertz insert. It was designed for the Roubaxi but I think a few models have it now. I'd be interested to know if it's worthwhile.

The change to this on my Al Bianchi made a significant difference from the Al post I had.
    Although there will be a raft of posts now saying it was all in my head!!

I would have another if the seat tube on my best bike was the same size (Spesh only do 27mm seat posts)

Having said that, the difference was not enough to buy new, I have had two 2nd hand ones from the classifieds on here (crushed the first :( )
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I noticed a big difference between the stock post (carbon wrapped alu) and my Deda SuperZero (much better at soaking up road buzz).

Worth it? Depends what you consider to be a lot to spend on your bike.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,903
    i've tried the 'same' post (fizik cyrano) in both alloy and carbon versions, the carbon definitely reduced the road buzz, also found the same with another carbon post

with a stiff frame, hard saddle and skinny tyres, it's a good improvement, but on a more forgiving set up it'd make less noticeable difference
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny