Struggling to understand why some folk litter the trails ..

Pipster3
Pipster3 Posts: 82
edited August 2011 in Routes
Have noticed more and more litter at Cannock and Llandegla ...Mostly at the top of steep climbs seems some folk stop have the sports drink and power bar and then just throw the bottles and wrappers on the ground ...Why :x

They must be wired wrong ... :(

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    If you can figure out why people litter, you will solve most of the western worlds social issues.
    If you can cure them that is.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Pipster3 wrote:
    Have noticed more and more litter at Cannock and Llandegla ...Mostly at the top of steep climbs seems some folk stop have the sports drink and power bar and then just throw the bottles and wrappers on the ground ...Why
    Because they are utter fuckwits
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Probably happens for the same reason people litter the streets.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    .blitz wrote:
    Pipster3 wrote:
    Have noticed more and more litter at Cannock and Llandegla ...Mostly at the top of steep climbs seems some folk stop have the sports drink and power bar and then just throw the bottles and wrappers on the ground ...Why
    Because they are utter fuckwits

^ This
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Did notice when i was up there Cannock was one of the worst trails i've ever ridden for rubbish.

Though Cwm is getting worse, the very top is a mess where all the local chav kid's hang out at night drink there strongbow :(
  • grant43
    grant43 Posts: 170
    yes i spotted quite a bit of litter round lee quarry and at the start of the cragg quarry loop just to lazy to put it in their bag and take it with them :(
    keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pipster3 wrote:
    Have noticed more and more litter at Cannock and Llandegla ...Mostly at the top of steep climbs seems some folk stop have the sports drink and power bar and then just throw the bottles and wrappers on the ground ...Why :x

They must be wired wrong ... :(
    I agree with you, but there's some absolute retard on this forum that will go truly mental at you for suggesting that dropping rubbish is a bad thing. Hopefully, he'll make an appearance. Apart from being a complete idiot, he was quite entertainingly insane.
  • Anonymous
    The other one that annoys me is innertubes left by the trailside. For god's sake, haven't you people heard of puncture repair kits?

On the plus side, I can quite often steal them, fix them, and use them myself.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Did a spin round Ae XC route the other week then went and did the Shredder DH track (rather timidly). Didn't notice any litter on the XC course but the roads up to the start of the DH tracks were littered with plastic bottles....'
    Which are dirtier XCers or DHers...fight!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Litter has got me so pissed off we have started taking a plastic bag and a petrol station plastic glove on a ride and bringing back at least a couple of bits of litter each. Last trip to a trail centre (Gisburn) I brought back to the car park 2 power bar wrappers, a sock (who the hell leaves a sock behind) an empty gel and a plastic powerade bottle. Amazingly it weighed fuckall and didnt slow me down one bit.

If you drop litter your a Tw@t and deserve a good kicking and to be forced to ride your bike in city rush hour traffic for the rest of your life.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    On a trip up to the quarries, I found a pair of fishnet stockings halfway up the side of a mountain :lol:
  • MTBmaniac
    MTBmaniac Posts: 29
    I ride at Gisburn on a regular basis and have noticed an increase in litter over the last couple of years. Good on you Stubs for picking it up. I've done this myself a few times. If it's just left, then this just encourages the scroats to drop even more. I don't set off from Cocklett Hill, but perhaps there should be some signage there telling people something which should be obvious to them.
  • Thewaylander
    I think partially it is up to us, if we see people drop there litter we do need to say something, Because currently it seems to be seen as socially acceptable on the whole.

So if you see someone dropping litter ont he trail smash them in the face..or just say :p
  • Anonymous
    I think partially it is up to us, if we see people drop there litter we do need to say something, Because currently it seems to be seen as socially acceptable on the whole.

So if you see someone dropping litter ont he trail smash them in the face..or just say :p
    Are you suggesting that there's people who wouldn't say something if they saw some scroted dropping crap? that's frankly even worse.
  • Thewaylander
    Lots of people,

I think alot of people are afraid of what the other person would say or do, I mean there pratish enough to throw there litter on the ground would they start a fight?.

Not everyone is as brash as yourself or I Yee. And i feel it's this un willing attitude of some people to say that makes people think it's ok to do :p
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Some of it is because it falls out of badly secured rucksacks or pockets. Waste in generally chucked into the loose outside pocket to be thrown in a bin later, and most won't care if it dissappears at some point going down a trail.

It is best to be responsible and show an example to others. Pick up the worst that others leave and leave nothing yourself. Not even fruit skins or core's. Bring a plastic bag with you for any rubbish and store it securely. Pick up other peoples rubbish too. Then the trails will be lovely and clean.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Anonymous
    I have to say, I will happily throw away banana skins or orange peel. They degrade naturally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have to say, I will happily throw away banana skins or orange peel. They degrade naturally.

They do sometimes..... However at the top of a lot of Scottish munro's, as the temperature does not get too high they can literally take years to degrade. Also some of the area's are sites of Special Scientific Interest and the depositing of banana/orange has had a negative impact on the local soil, enriching it with nutriants that it would not normally have and allowing invasive species to appear.

Now I know most riders will not be in these sort of places, but don't leave it for someone else to slip on!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I'm convinced people believe that because they're riding at a "Trail Centre" there's a team of cleaning staff employed to come round at night to make it all pristine for the following day. Jerks. :x

I never see anything like as much litter when I'm riding in the Peak District...
  • The bit of litter that really annoys me is empty gel sachets. FFS, you're out for a ride and you have to play racer by toting along over-priced sugar paste to keep your finely-honed physique operating at its maximum potential in the fiercely competitive world of your local trail centre and you're too damn lazy to take the wrapper home? AAAAARGH.

We should mount a campaign to post gel sachets and energy bar wrappers back to the manufacturers. It's their fault for convincing these muppets they need to eat this nonsense. And we should send some of them back to all those bike magazines that witter on about sports nutrition too... oh hang on...

:oops:

:lol:
    John Stevenson
  • Anonymous

They do sometimes..... However at the top of a lot of Scottish munro's, as the temperature does not get too high they can literally take years to degrade. Also some of the area's are sites of Special Scientific Interest and the depositing of banana/orange has had a negative impact on the local soil, enriching it with nutriants that it would not normally have and allowing invasive species to appear.

Now I know most riders will not be in these sort of places, but don't leave it for someone else to slip on!
    Ah, fair enough, I hadn't considered that at all.
    Most places I ride, are either old quarries, or unnatural pine forests, so I think I'm safe in throwing away fruit remains?
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Riders littering is up there with dog walkers leaving bags of sh*t hanging out of trees. They both really piss me off.

I can't understand how it's possible to carry a gel or spare tube but you're not able to take the old tube or wrapper home with you. It's just sheer laziness.

I ride at Swinley a lot and the rubbish around the jump gulley on a Monday after a nice weekend is terrible. There's no excuse for it either as they put bin bags out but people are too lazy to walk over to them and use them.

As for the dog walkers.....They even tell you at Swinley that you don't need to carry the poo round with you, you can just put it behind a tree away from the trails so it degrades naturally but these idiots seem to think that it makes sense to put it in a plastic bag first so you end up with the bags littering the place.

I reckon the trail centre staff should be allowed to issue fines for littering. I'm sure it'd help to cut down on the problem.
  • Anonymous
    I have littered on a few occasions. Inadvertently.
    I left a pair of gloves behind in Llandgegla. I've also left a pair of sunglasses there.
    I dropped a pair of polarised Oakley eye jackets into the Menai Straits, from the bridge.
    And, There is probably still a perfect imprint of my face in the snow on the Cairngorns somewhere, with a pair of oakleys still in it.

Yeah, I'm clumsy :oops:
  • WisePranker
    I have littered on a few occasions. Inadvertently.
    I left a pair of gloves behind in Llandgegla. I've also left a pair of sunglasses there.
    I dropped a pair of polarised Oakley eye jackets into the Menai Straits, from the bridge.
    And, There is probably still a perfect imprint of my face in the snow on the Cairngorns somewhere, with a pair of oakleys still in it.

Yeah, I'm clumsy :oops:

We'll let you off with them this time.....Just don't do it again :lol:
  • Anonymous
    You sure? I'm sure losing that many pairs of Oakleys counts as public service to whoever finds them :lol:
  • I'd switch to a cheaper brand of eyewear if i were you, lovely as Oakleys are!
    John Stevenson
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • WisePranker
    faitapegafbk.jpg

This should help you. A couple of lengths of this and you'll never loose your Oakleys again 8)
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    and what about those TW@TS that litter out the car window,( cigge butts Etc.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,337
    dog poo in a bag, tied to a tree is the worst. The fact that people make the effort to leave litter does my head in. Doing nothing would be better in most place, at least it degrades. Being a thoughtless selfish twonk is bad enough, being criminally stupid is worthy of hanging.