Easy riding in North Wales

armoureddrummer
armoureddrummer Posts: 145
edited April 2011 in Routes
Hey all,

I am going to be staying between Oswestry and Bala with my 10 year old daughter and am looking for a nice 10mile round trip to take her out on. Ideally relatively flat, off the road (although well surfaced) and easy for road/hybrid bikes. Took her round Lake Vyrnwy last time and she liked that.

Don't really want to travel more than an hour or so.

Any suggestions?

Maybe not the best category to drop this into but as I am aiming to stay off the road, you fellow MTB'rs should probably know the terrain round these parts!

Comments

• tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    if your near the oswerstry end you can pick up the shropshire union canal towpath in llangollen, ride down to the fron aqueduct (now a world heritiage site!) and back: about 10km flat riding in pleasant surroundings, if you want a bit more carry on back up to the begining of the canal at the horseshoe falls..

to make a loop cross over the aqueduct to the other side of the valley and its a climb on country lanes south and west out of froncysyllte then you can pick up the llwyber ceiriog trail back towards llangollen dropping down one of 2 bridlepaths depending how tired you both are..

the loop option is probably only another 2km but 300m climb and descent, its all tracks passable by motorvehicles prob ok on a hybrid but wouldent fancy it on a road bike.

or theres the green trail at coed llanegla.
  • Might be slightly further than you want to travel but the trail that runs from Dolgellau to Barmouth alongside the Mawddach estuary is good for kids. Scenery is spectaular too. Just follow the A494 (?) that runs through Bala to get to Dolgellau.
  • Thanks,

I never thought about the canal. Is the surface ok for wee ones on supermarket bikes? My hybrid should take on pretty well everything or worse case I can bring the Fuel Ex but I think it is likely over the top! Don't know if I would take the coming back loop option, she is not too confident on the road yet.

I looked at the Dolgellau route on the tinterweb last night and it looked nice too. As it goes out and comes back on the same route I will get the option to turn back if the wee one is getting tired. It is not to far out either.

Any other suggestions keep em coming but either of these look good. I am down there every 6 weeks or so and always looking for new places to play. Need to get her up to red/black standards so we can get her on the real trails! lol.

Cheers
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    the towpath is in good condition, ridable on any sort of bike i would say. there are a couple of narow bits as you go under bridges but walk the bikes through should be no problem.

you go past a couple of refreshment stops en route (the sun trevor pub is about half way on the other side of the nearby main road and does food + beer garden, a bit further the bryn howel hotel has a public bar and garden).

the biggest thrill of the day will be going over the aqueduct....its a looong way down!

its a nice day out, i've done it both with the familay and as a pub to pub ride.

Not done the Mawddach but its meant to be really nice...As you say both are 'there and back' gives you the option to turn round when the kids get shirty :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bala isn't too far away from Coed y Brenin (no, really, stay with me for a moment!)

The "Afon" trail in Coedy, aimed at families, is very serene, just a gentle ride up and down the river, passing two waterfalls on the way, before returning along the other side of the river back to the centre.

Seeing as the weather is lush right now, it would make a nice day out from Bala.
  • Thanks all,

I think the weather and mood on the day will be the two beg deciding factors.

Will let you know where we went next week!

If we have time, I might even aim for two but might be pushing it.

Cheers