Hammersmith Bridge ?

Tomkeely
Tomkeely Posts: 8
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
I got fined yesterday for cycling on the footpath over Hammersmith Bridge. There were guys on both sides of the bridge just waiting to nick cyclists.

1st off, the sign on the bridge is a cyclist in a circle without a cross through it so I thought taht meant it was fine but according to the bridge police because the circle is red it means you can't - am I the only one that didn't know that?

2nd off, the damn bridge is so narrow it tough for cars to pass on it without adding a bike into things. There's sod all pedestrians so it seems to me they are just trying to rake in the cash with this.

Anybody else been busted on the bridge? :evil:

Comments

• mrobbie
    mrobbie Posts: 64
    If I cross Hammersmith Bridge I take the road - did not know there was a foot path as had not looked.

Have to admit the sign you describe - I thought the same as you, but a check on the highway code shows that it doe indeed mean no cycling...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070642.pdf
    Quite addicted to cycling now....
  • On the 1st off question, you should recognise the no cycling sign - the only sign that's more common in urban environments is 'No Ball Games.''
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You really didn't know that hammersmith bridge footpaths were no cycling??!!

There are painted signs on the bridge surface and "lollipop" type signs. The footpath is pretty narrow and there are schools either side of the bridge. Cycling across there is pretty anti-social. I'm all for fining people who ride - if you don't fancy the bridge, get off and push.

The bridge ain't that narrow - there's plenty of room apart from the "pinch" points - i don't think it is cash based at all - it will be as a result of people complaining about cyclists riding over on "pavement".
  • Tomkeely
    Alright, so maybe I need a copy of the highway code but I still think that's a wide footpath and the bridge is stupidly narrow.

I opted for the footpath/cyclepath out of embarrassment at holding up the rush hour traffic which couldn't overtake me and at 7am when I hit the briidge there's no pedestirans on the footpath and loads of cars and buses on the road.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    This one always confused me:

sign_cycle%20route%20ahead.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Tomkeely wrote:
    Alright, so maybe I need a copy of the highway code but I still think that's a wide footpath and the bridge is stupidly narrow.

I opted for the footpath/cyclepath out of embarrassment at holding up the rush hour traffic which couldn't overtake me and at 7am when I hit the briidge there's no pedestirans on the footpath and loads of cars and buses on the road.

You won't be holding up rush hour traffic on that bridge, theres traffic lights and pinch points on either side. I know that bridge can be a bit intimidating, but just stick to primary and make the impatient drivers wait.

I'd really never even consider using the pedestrian footpath there myself :?
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I use the bridge twice daily on my commute and there is never any problems - aside from the crap road surface.

Most of the time the trafic is moving slower than me anyway, so it holds me up, I wonder how many drivers are embarrassed by that?

Notsoblue gives good advice, be assertive and let people past when you want to let them, there are several pinch points on the bridge where you'll want to make sure people don't try to force their way past - most drivers are pretty sensible though. The bridge is only 100m long anyway, it's not like you're taking primary on the Severn Bridge.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    On the 1st off question, you should recognise the no cycling sign - the only sign that's more common in urban environments is 'No Ball Games.''

+1 ... said with some sympathy, as it IS easy to make a first mistake.
    However, with good reason, it IS your responsibility to know what the road signs mean.
    I recon almost all commuters should go on some sort of cycling commuting course. These are the kind of things that will be taught on such a course.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Hate the pinch points on the bridge, cars will do their best to overtake then squeeze you in at each one :evil:
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I just ride straight down the middle of my lane, or close to the centre of the road (because there is usually a bus pulling into the stop on the north side that you can get round, but the cars can't.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Tomkeely
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I use the bridge twice daily on my commute and there is never any problems - aside from the crap road surface.

I'm with you on the road surface. They spent about 10 years rebuilding that bridge so you'd think they could have done a better job than that. It sound like your riding over a set a of loose blanks.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Compared with the surface on Putney Bridge it's perfection
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Compared with the surface on Putney Bridge it's perfection

Neither are great tbf, Hammersmith wins the design award for being having a road surface seemingly constructed of plywood covered with 3mm or tarmac.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    They've got resurfacing signs up too....

I have had (touch wood) no worried riding along there - as people say, there is generally more traffic at either end that slows up cars than cyclists anyway. And often the cars are stationary so you're filtering up the inside anyway.

Police taking names again today - guess there must have been a few complaints recently...