Cav racing in the Isle of Man

s.woody
s.woody Posts: 181
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Good to see Cav supporting his local club whilst back in the Isle of Man picking up several sports awards over the weekend.

http://www.manxroadclub.com/

Also worth noting that current Moto GP rider and IoM resident Cal Crutchlow took part in his first race.

Comments

• See...useless without Renshaw or Goss to tow him to the line!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Can anyone think of another cycling club with 3 pros?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Tusher wrote:

Maindy Flyers (a junior club in Cardiff) almost has three pro alumni - Geraint Thomas, Nicole Cooke and Luke Rowe (who was almost signed by Sky in the winter and has ridden for Rapha Condor, I believe. I think his brother Matt was at Rapha too). Three of them (not G) were also Cardiff Ajax members.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

Maindy Flyers (a junior club in Cardiff) almost has three pro alumni - Geraint Thomas, Nicole Cooke and Luke Rowe (who was almost signed by Sky in the winter and has ridden for Rapha Condor, I believe. I think his brother Matt was at Rapha too). Three of them (not G) were also Cardiff Ajax members.

He also rode for Wales in the commonwealth road race and was doing pretty well, interestingly i thought he got some grief from Cav for not working, but commentators reckoned he was pretty cooked i think.
  • RichN95.
    MrTapir wrote:
    He also rode for Wales in the commonwealth road race and was doing pretty well, interestingly i thought he got some grief from Cav for not working, but commentators reckoned he was pretty cooked i think.

Yeah, he had an excellent race (came 9th - top non-pro). I got the impression that he was a little bit starstruck by riding with Cav and overworked to help bring him back.

He had a win in Holland on Saturday.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Most Christmases there is a chance to pit yourself against all the Island's top racers in the hamper race. You could expect to be racing against Cav, the Kennaugh brothers, Johnny Bellis, Mark Christian and Chris Whorral. Not forgetting former Motorpoint rider and Ellan Vannin legend Andrew Roche and clubmate and former milk race stage winner Rob Holden. It's supposed to be a festive chipper but gets ridden like the Worlds.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    They are certainly churning out their fair share of pros over there per head of population. I miss Isle of Man Cycling Week, best cycling I ever had was over there.
  • Pross
    They are certainly churning out their fair share of pros over there per head of population. I miss Isle of Man Cycling Week, best cycling I ever had was over there.
  • Yellow Peril
    Cycling Week is a much lamented loss. Many greats rode over here including Fignon. The trophies are on display in the NSC and how magnificent they are.

My fear is that the legacy of the cycling week will become lost in time and less new talent will be inspired to come through. Unfortunately, like the UK, there is constant pressure on race organisation and TT and road racing courses are being lost due to traffic dangers.
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    Cycling Week is a much lamented loss. Many greats rode over here including Fignon. The trophies are on display in the NSC and how magnificent they are.

There were even bigger names than Fignon weren't there? Merckx, Coppi and Anquetil, for example.
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:

There were even bigger names than Fignon weren't there? Merckx, Coppi and Anquetil, for example.

Fignon was just an example don't ask me why I picked him. Perhaps it was that he died relatively recently or perhaps that, in some way, mention of him adds something.

I guess you are right though. The Palmares of the three that you mention takes some beating.
    @JaunePeril

• inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I don't think Fignon's name looks too out of place with those other names. His palmares is pretty impressive really and would have been even more so if he'd not suffered so badly with injuries in the middle part of his career and had maybe invested in some aero bars in the spring of 1989... :wink:

Then again i'm and unashamed fan of the pony tailed pedaller. To quote a word i've read a lot about this year, he had panache.

Anyway...sorry to drift the thread. I think it's good that Cav has gone home and raced in a local race, he doesn't need to..could easily trot out the line about not wanting to risk injuries etc, good on him.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    He's always been utterly loyal to his Manx roots- rode out of his skin for them in the Commonwealth Games, and wasn't to proud to muck in as a mechanic for the Time Trial either.
  • Pross
    Club folklore is that a junior rider from my club holds the lap record over one of the courses (the one used for the Onchan cup I think) despite racing against 'amateur' riders from the old Eastern Bloc nations with their 'advanced training' methods of the late 80s. I've never been able to find any information to confirm this but it was what I was told when I rode there in 1990.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Pross wrote:

We still do the mountain time trial, everyones welcome to come over for that, it's a great event. :)
  • Pross
    Bit far to travel just for that unfortunately. I really enjoyed the junior version of the Manx International (just one lap). According to the official results I finished twice so obviously I claim the higher position :lol: Some of the town centre crit circuits were fantastic too, enjoyed sinking a few beers watching the higher cat riders racing! Not sure I could get over Snaefell anymore :oops: