Race Tyres

MrJim007
MrJim007 Posts: 64
edited May 2011 in Amateur race
Hi all,
What tyres do people use to race on?
Im having some tyre issues at the mo. I started out a year ago on some Vittoria Zaffiros that came with the bike, had a decent amount of miles out of them and then split a sidewall. I replaced them with some Conti Gatorskins as we were coming into winter and I managed to split a sidewall on one of these after a few months. I replaced like for like and they have seen me through the rest of the winter with only a couple of flats.
Now spring has sprung and I have recently started racing so splashed out on some Michelin Pro Race 3's. I raced them yesterday with no probs and was out today and managed to split another sidewall!! Now i know they are lighter weight tyres but I thought I would have had more than 100 miles out of them!! Am I just unlucky or is this par for the course?
What other lighter weight tyres can you recommend?[/b]

Comments

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    How do you split a sidewall?

I've never seen or heard of it, let alone with your frequency!

I've done probably 5000 miles between my 2 bikes in the last 9 months, which are equiped with good bike - prorace 3s and commuter / trainer conti gatorskins.
  • MrJim007
    Well, I dont know, hence the question. Wasn't sure if this was common for people or I am very unlucky!!
    Today it just went whilst riding along a main road. I looked for the offending article and found nothing but a 5mm split on the side of the tyre. So when pumping up the new tube it pushes out through the split and just punctures again very easily!!
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Is it always on the same wheel or have you experienced this on front and back? I'd check the rim - not necessarily anything sharp, but could be slightly asymmetrical and stressing one side more than the other. Also could be pressure not high enough.

Or an elephant is riding your bike when you're not looking.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Are your brake blocks lined up properly. Blocks can sometimes move and start to rub against the tyre resulting in the sidewall wearing away and eventually splitting.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Are your brake blocks lined up properly. Blocks can sometimes move and start to rub against the tyre resulting in the sidewall wearing away and eventually splitting.

Took the words out of my mouth there chip!
  • MrJim007
    Yep, has happened on front and back wheels and the latest one happened on a brand new set of wheels. Dont think its the brakes, it has just been serviced and everything had been running smoothly.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    'just serviced'?
    get your race mechanic to post a pic of the bike in race trim/side on so we can all try and adjudge where the problem with your tyres might be.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Also, ensure your spouse does not have a little voodoo replica of your bike with pins stuck in the wheels ;)

And statistically, someone, somewhere, is guaranteed to get a bunch of 'unlikely' accidents happen to them...That's the way it goes.
  • MrJim007
    Yes Zach, i will be searching for that voodoo bike!!!!
    I think you may be right tho, I may just be that unlucky person. I cant see it being the brakes, I gave them a good check and they're well alligned with the rims, and I dont think it would be dodgy wheels unless im unlucky enough to have 3 of them!!!
    Maybe I just keep finding all the sharp glass and thorns in the roads round my way.
  • Gene Hunt
    Gene Hunt Posts: 40
    What pressures are you running on? If your running low pressures it wont help with the constant flexing of the side wall
    Audi Quattro
    Planet X SL Carbon Pro
  • wjcrombie
    wjcrombie Posts: 43
    It has to be with the sidewall of the tyre rubbing against something and then giving.

Some frames gace minimal clearance around the bottom bracket so if you are a big guy and don't have very strong wheels the flex could mean it touches the frame ocassionally. Most likely reason is the brake blocks are set-up incorrectly and therefore under heavy braking touching the sidewall of the tyre.....
  • MrJim007
    I run my tyres at 115psi and I wouldnt say im an overly big guy, im normally between 78-82kg dependant on pie intake!! Ive been using Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels so thought they should be up to the job.
    Since starting this thread I have bought another Pro Race 3 with no probs so far other than one puncture from a tiny stone working its way in.
    Maybe im just unlucky? :evil:
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Only time I've split a sidewall was as mentioned above - the brake block was overlapping the edge of the rim slightly and rubbing on the tyre - not saying it's that but I'd go with the others in suspecting it's a not just down to coincidence.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to race on vittoria corsa evo's, they are good but wear quick but you can have them up at 140 psi on clinchers,

I now use dede tre tyres which are half the price, don't wear hald as much and IMHO run just as quick as the vittorias.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ve only wrecked one new tyre last winter with a burst sidewall, i was i no doubt what caused it . i tried to swerve a large clod of muck in the dark which dropped from a tractor, back wheel clipped its side pitch across the road. when i picked it up it turned out to be a hard piece of rock. i threw it as far as i could over the hedge whilst cursing, thats another £20 down the drain. only time ive damaged a sidewall.