Mad rock jumps on Lee/Cragg quarry link track

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited April 2011 in Routes
Just tried out the link path between Cragg and Lee quarry yesterday.

Those rock jumps that have been placed on the way down are a bit mad aren't they ! I tried most, but a few just looked plain scary, especially when landing on a loose gravely twisty bit of the trail !

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Was up there riding with Tony Lund yesterday, have to agree, some of them looked doable on the way, couldn't remember which ones on the way back down so bottled them all (didn't help I had a police motorbike on my heels riding down the link path). Tony might try and get them labelled somehow so you know how big they are coming down.

Tony also said the contractors should be back this week to sort out the surface so it's not so random, had a couple of near miss moments coming down myself.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    The surface (and the size) put me off a few of them, although its a real good setup for practising jumps.
    Nice simple spots / stripes of black paint off centre so it doesnt wear out so fast, 1 for low 2 for med 3 for high etc. would suffice. Although personally think better landing surface would tempt you to try more.
    Still a good setup :D
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    I went for the first time last week and loved it!

Apart from falling off when landing a jump badly on a black run...

I couldn't find where the link track to Cragg quarry started from?

Anybody point me in the right direction?

J
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Any photos of them? Ive never been to Lee quarry but really fancy it this year
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    dan shard wrote:
    Any photos of them? Ive never been to Lee quarry but really fancy it this year

Will have a look later as i think i may have a few photos from last time i was up, it's a god place to practice your riding as the runs are just short sections that you can session over and over, my favorate section is this http://youtu.be/4tMtvLHO_ok although i've never riden it when dry but can imagine it being super fast. As for the link to Cragg it's a real slog but Cragg isn't too bad of a loop, the link coming back down is great fun though quite loose in places with plenty of jumps to keep you on your toes. I may just head back up while the Royal Wedding is on seeing everyone will be glued to there tv's :roll:
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Tony might try and get them labelled somehow so you know how big they are coming down.
    Could/should maybe use the 7Stanes "standard" system?
    Would be good if all trail "centres" adopted the same system rather than all trying to come up with something else imo
  • grant43
    grant43 Posts: 170
    bad accident on the track about 10 days ago air ambulance and mountain rescue tending to a guy when we were on our way back to lee didnt look in too good shape :(
    keep smiling no matter how much it hurts,commencal ramones 1 loving it lol
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Broken collar bone from what Tony said.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • JayKingFunk
    JayKingFunk Posts: 411
    Muttly1981: The vid you posted as your fave bit is my fave bit too! I went last week and it was dry as a bone.

I fell off on the last run at it, from the jump just before the huge, near vertical berm!
    I love the sound my tyres make on dusty single track!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    Muttly1981: The vid you posted as your fave bit is my fave bit too! I went last week and it was dry as a bone.

I fell off on the last run at it, from the jump just before the huge, near vertical berm!

Lee Quarry isn't a place i'd like to fall off (wouldn't ever like to fall off) as there is so much sharp pointy rocks. Like i said it was wet the last time we went so there was no grip at all on the big berm, the biggest plus point about the place is that you can just keep sessioning each section to find the best possible line.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?