What do bikes and bumble bees have in common?

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
Ever wonder how bikes stay up while you're texting in the saddle: So did the boffins and they don't know either.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    My favourite garfield cartoon:

ga830509.gif
  • Whenever I read a sentence like this:
    We have found no simple physical explanation equivalent to the mathematical statement that all eigenvalues must have negative real parts

....I need to go for a ride simply to keep my sense of balance
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    So what do they have in common? "Scientists" know perfectly well how bees fly.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    All flying creatures do it by falling towards the ground AND MISSING!!! Thank you Terry Pratchett.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    it's that mythical !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! centrifugal force ???
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    All flying creatures do it by falling towards the ground AND MISSING!!! Thank you Terry Pratchett.

Ahem - Douglas Adams. HHGTTG part 3.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Don't know where they found their boffins. Bikes stay upright for the same reason that rolled coins stay upright. It's not gyroscopic stabilisation of the wheels, it's centrifugal forces acting to balance gravity.....

Gravity acts to pull the coin over, so the coin starts to tilt
    As it tilts it starts to describe a circle
    As it describes a circle, centrifugal forces act on the centre of mass, pushing it upright again.
    As it slows down, it needs to describe a tighter and tighter circle in order that centrifugal force continues to balance gravity, until it reaches a point where it's no longer possible and the coin falls over.

Try it!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    rhext wrote:
    Don't know where they found their boffins. Bikes stay upright for the same reason that rolled coins stay upright. It's not gyroscopic stabilisation of the wheels, it's centrifugal forces acting to balance gravity.....

As it describes a circle, centrifugal forces act on the centre of mass, pushing it upright again.
    As it slows down, it needs to describe a tighter and tighter circle in order that centrifugal force continues to balance gravity, until it reaches a point where it's no longer possible and the coin falls over.

Try it!

Make perfect sense that. You need to post that in comments section of the link in the OP.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    not connected to bikes but, what type of bees can you get milk from?

Boo bees!!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rhext wrote:

Try it!

Don't you mean centripetal?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Sketchley wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Try it!

Make perfect sense that. You need to post that in comments section of the link in the OP.

Don't do that! You'll destroy any chance of them getting more funding for meaningless experiments.
  • rhext
    rhext wrote:

Try it!

Don't you mean centripetal?

No, I mean centrifugal. Centripetal force is the force you need to exert to hold an object stationary if you're observing from within a rotating reference frame. Centrifugal force is the fictitious force which appears to oppose you while you're trying to do that.....
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, rhext, your example only covers forces in the vertical direction (i.e. in the direction of gravity), not in the horizontal direction (perpendicular to both gravity and the direction of travel), which is where you need the stability to stop it falling over....
  • rhext
    Anyway, rhext, your example only covers forces in the vertical direction (i.e. in the direction of gravity), not in the horizontal direction (perpendicular to both gravity and the direction of travel), which is where you need the stability to stop it falling over....

Not true: as soon as the coin starts to lean, then a component of the gravitational force will act in the horizontal direction. It's the balancing force exerted by friction on the edge of the coin which causes it to move in a circle in the first place, which in turn leads to the centrifugal force component which balances gravity.

Incidentally, that's why neither coin nor cycle are stable on a frictionless surface....
  • rhext
    Sketchley wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Try it!

I'd have to create a login, and I'm not sure I can be bothered. Interesting to note that the 'boffins' are all engineers though. Perhaps they should have asked a Physicist!
  • rhext
    ...unless they're trying to answer a subtly different question. Coins are obvious, and it seems intuitive to extrapolate to bicycles. But the centrifugal force explanation doesn't explain why the steering automatically aligns the front wheel exactly with the circle that the bike must describe in order to remain upright.....
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Bikes stay upright for exactly the same reason planes stay airborne - the passengers desperately willing the thing to stay upright.

I have not yet managed to create an experiment to prove this though.

In the meantime, you can all pretend it's physics or some such witchcraft.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,391
    rhext wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    rhext wrote:

Try it!

I'd have to create a login, and I'm not sure I can be bothered. Interesting to note that the 'boffins' are all engineers though. Perhaps they should have asked a Physicist!

Just a thought, but you don't think they maybe have already considered your explanation, and discounted it for some reason that you may not have considered?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Magnets. It's always magnets.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • rick_chasey
    rhext wrote:

Not true: as soon as the coin starts to lean, then a component of the gravitational force will act in the horizontal direction. It's the balancing force exerted by friction on the edge of the coin which causes it to move in a circle in the first place, which in turn leads to the centrifugal force component which balances gravity.

Incidentally, that's why neither coin nor cycle are stable on a frictionless surface....

I meant before.

I'm pretty sure it's a centripetal force as soon as it begins to learn - I remember modelling a single motorbike tyre when I studied mechanics and it was pretty straightforward.

Either way, surely anything to do with this explaination is just a form of angular momentum if i remember correctly.

From what I remember learning about one ends up learning about the other anyway.
  • rhext wrote:

I meant before.

I'm pretty sure it's a centripetal force as soon as it begins to learn - I remember modelling a single motorbike tyre when I studied mechanics and it was pretty straightforward.

Either way, surely anything to do with this explaination is just a form of angular momentum if i remember correctly.

From what I remember learning about one ends up learning about the other anyway.

Not quite clear on this. Gravity can never act in a horizontal direction since "vertical" is defined as "locally aligned with the gradient of the gravity field, i.e., with the direction of the gravitational force". The reaction force could have a horizontal component but I can't see why it would necessarily have to, it could act entirely vertically through the contact patch.

If a rigid rolling disc leans over why will it start to describe a circle? For a non rigid disc e.g., a wheel with a tyre, one explanation is that the contact patch deforms into a triangle and so it rools like a cone, but a rigid disc like a coin won't deform like that.

Why would a centrifugal force act to push a wheel in a particular direction? Presumably it acts at all points of the rim so it's horizontal component sums to zero.

It's a long time since I've done any physics, christ I feel dim.