White Horse Challenge

Mr Smooth
Mr Smooth Posts: 70
What an excellent day, obviously helped by perfect weather, but I'd say the organisers have pretty much got this one right. Ample parking, efficient signing-on, good feed stops (with loos), very clear signage and a medal at the end. And it helps that I got my gold standard despite a puncture.

Other organisers could learn a lot from this one.

Comments

• stevo1602
    stevo1602 Posts: 43
    I agree this is an excellent event, great route, very well organised and to cap it all the weather was perfect.
    However they can still improve, for example the Richmond 5 Dale Sportive, you get all of the above, plus all the finishing times are displayed on a big screen seconds after you have finished. You get a hot meal and a hot drink at the end in the price, which is only £15.
    And finally they use a photographer who does not just take the obligitory shot of you struggling up a big hill.

Not complaining though, the White Horse is one of the best Sportives in the area.
  • Excellent day as always.

You can go to the start/finish and get a print-out of your time.

I think it's great and seems to raise a fair bit of money, which I assume the meal would simply eat into that profit. You could buy food at the end for a very reasonable price and you did get a free hot drink.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    +1 Excellent event

Thanks to Fergal and his team for all their efforts :lol:

My blog of yesterday: http://sportivemad.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... enge-2011/
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Great event. Efficient organisation with no queuing to sign on. Really impressed by the clear signage which isn't always the case with other sportives. Great weather and a gold time helps as well :)

Does anyone know what happened to the guy that crashed on the descent at Clyffe Pypard? Looked as if he'd hit the bank pretty hard.
  • That was a great event and a great day out on the bike, looks like some fast times were posted. And hopefully lots of funds raised for water aid!

Thanks to Fergal and Sarah and the team at the WHC for another really enjoyable edition, I have ridden it each year since it started, always seems to be good weather on the day.
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Twotyred,

The guy who crashed was apparently badley shaken but was taken home without serious injury :lol: If correct, its good news cos it looked serious when we passed although paramedic was on scene :?
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    3Pears wrote:
    Twotyred,

The guy who crashed was apparently badley shaken but was taken home without serious injury :lol: If correct, its good news cos it looked serious when we passed although paramedic was on scene :?

Thank goodness - that did look nasty. The only blackspot on a splendid day.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Looked like it hadn't long happened when I passed. He was spread out on the road. Glad that it looked worse than it turned out to be.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    I agree, one of the best sportives out there. Loved the addition of the King of the Hill so you could discover or not that extra bit of energy in your legs you didn't think you had.
    One of the two best rides of done.

Also what a good bunch of other riders, we really enjoyed working with a few people and even those who didn't take a turn on the front said hello and had a chat while they rode with us which was nice. I loved the comment from one guy as I dropped back asking each person if they were riding through or not so I could slot in who said "Oh no, I'm too old" I hope I'm as fit as him when I'm older :shock:

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals