Fitting a 7 points power plug without a towbar

chips*
chips* Posts: 13
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Hi

I found a rear bike carrier (Saris Bone) which will be suitable for our car (Audi A4 Avant). However, I will also need a rear light board as the bike will obscure the reg & lights. Power isn't an issue as there is a 12V point in the boot. The issue is I won't be fitting a tow bar, so where is the best location for the 7 points power plugs outside the car?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Can't you fit the plug inside the boot in a cubby hole at the side of the boot or under tha carpet?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Not sure if I'm reading this right but is the 12v point one for adding something like a phone charger/coolbox ?
    When I fitted my towbar I had to identify all the 12n electrics(indicators/brake/tail lights etc) using the wires as they go into the light clusters and piggyback the 12n electrics off of these to feed the external socket....
    Without a towbar you'd need to find some suitable bit of accessible chassis near the back of the car or make up a simple bracket?
    Hope that helps? :?
  • chips*
    chips* Posts: 13
    Thanks all, but I've been giving giving it more thought, and decided to have a tow bar fitted and be done with it (Quoted £340 fitted for a swan neck tow bar with a single power point). Then buy the Thule 9502 bike carrier with the integrated light board which is the neater option.

Thanks
    Tom
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    +1 potato for tow bar mounted carriers.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    pretty sure you are supposed to tap the electrics not run from a 12v socket, im guessing the socket is a fag lighter type one?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    As he is now getting a tow bar installed professionally I'm sure that is now taken care of.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Be glad it wasn't a Ford, none of my electrics were wired correctly (well none that I have checked).
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?