Training for a C2C/ Commuting on MTB

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
edited April 2011 in MTB general
Unsure if this is the place to put this thread so as its kinda mtb related will try here, mods move as appropriate.
Had a mtb for 3 months almost (my first ever bike) and for some bizarre reason thought I would set myself up to a C2C cycle for charity in July. As I have said to a few people for a laugh "had a bike for 3 months and think i'm bloody Lance Armstrong" lol... now my fitness has came on amazingly but I know I still need to work on that a lot
Had my gym plan changed to include a lot of work on legs and core muscles as well as cardio, and gave myself the goal of around 100 miles per week to get ready for my C2C.
I have started to commute the 45 mile round trip to work 2 days a week to help get some miles under my belt, and although my av speed aint amazing its respectable (ish) for a beginner and already can do better than most of the guys at work, but find my speed could increase if i changed tyres from the continental Mountain kings I have at the mo and fitted spd's.
But the question remains, what else will i need to think about?
As I have said I have never done anything like this in my life but im determined to complete the 145 miles over 2 days with a bunch of fit blokes that I know are gonna be fitter than I.
Any of you guys done C2C's and able to help in my training?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you are on the right tracks - keep building up, eating correctly and resting fully. Any chance of doing a dummy run in say June?

Also what bike? I can certainly offer tips on spec and set up for the ride.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Slicks will make road riding a lot easier

SPD's are personal preference, I like em and all my bikes have them, but I started out on flat pedals and used them for years, you can still pedal efficiently with flats, SPD's may be a tad more efficient but not that much in reality for relative newbie

Rest days are vital in training

As is hydration and nutrition (I am no expert on these, but someone will give you more info)

145 miles over 2 days is not as bad as you may think, yes it will be tough, but it will be tough for the other riders too

Doing 45 mile commutes will help lots, you may need to up your mileage to a similar amount as the daily mileage you'll be doing on the c2c
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • the_spooks
    Thanks Supersonic currently riding a Revolution Triad 2, as standard straight outa the box with exception to flats fitted at the mo, have had a mate offer me spds and cleats used.
    No chance of a dry run for me but do plan on trying a similar milage a month before, locally and see how I feel.
    Andy many thanks for the info, the upping mileage part I will not be looking forward to especially after my ride home Saturday into what felt like a gale force wind lol
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Thanks Supersonic currently riding a Revolution Triad 2, as standard straight outa the box with exception to flats fitted at the mo, have had a mate offer me spds and cleats used.
    No chance of a dry run for me but do plan on trying a similar milage a month before, locally and see how I feel.
    Andy many thanks for the info, the upping mileage part I will not be looking forward to especially after my ride home Saturday into what felt like a gale force wind lol

I've got a Triad myself and they're great bikes, great specs for the price. If you're doing distance though I'd definitely advise upgrading/changing the contact points of the bike if you're not comfortable with them as the finishing kit isn't the best on these bikes. The likes of a new saddle on longer rides may benefit you greatly. I got rid of the grips, fitted Superstar one's for circa £10, bought flats for local blasts and SPD's for long runs and altered the position of the brake levers/shifters to the comfiest position I could. I went on a long ride 'out the box' and my biggest mistake was no setting it up for me.

If you're putting in alot of miles at the moment just be wary about how degraded your tyres are, mine seemed fine for months then fell off all of a sudden and it felt like I had no grip whatsoever - they were Continental MK's. Having said that, that was on technical rooty single track, otherwise they're fine.

Oh and get used to cycling into a head wind with rain, snow, sleet, thunder & lightning with the possibility of sun - it is Scotland we're in !
  • the_spooks
    Cferg thanks, I had actually forgot I had changed my grips as it was the first thang that had to go lol. Superstars fitted also.
    Bike just got a clean bill of health from Edinburgh Bikes and im very happy with it, saddles and tyres are a mine field TBH and im unsure what I should use.
    Seems like im on the right kinda track,but nutrition is something i need to look into as I dont think im eating enough even for my commute to and from work with burning ~3000 calories and eating on average 1200 :?
    Many thanks again guys