New Cube acid Hayes Stroker brakes SQUEEKING!!!

nickthegreek78
nickthegreek78 Posts: 3
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi just been out on my new bike for the first time enjoyed it other than the fact that the front brakes were squeeking all way !!

Looked at the brakes and it seems that the inner pad is rubbing all the time also if I put the bike upside down on the seat and handle bars the tyre will not spin round as the brake pads are stopping it..

Any ideas on why this could be ie : Have they built it right etc

Gonna take it back to the shop this week and hopefully they will sort it out was just wondering if anyone had any ideas !!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the topics in the FAQs.

but start off with re aligning the calipers.

See Parktools for which bolts to slacken.

this is presuming you have followed the bedding in guide in the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • A quick alignement of the caliper will sort out the wheel spinning (as mentioned above) as for the squeking, my Strokers squeaked for around the 1st 70-80miles before they stopped now they just make a grinding noise.

I'm not that impressed with the retraction of the pistons after the brakes have been used, my Shimano Deores and 100% better and never make a noise.
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    ive just bought myself a new bike too, and my brakes where squeeling like mad! but ive sorted them :D

get your pads out, and rub the shine and top layer off the pad material with a piece of sand paper on a flat surface.
    then to stop your pads from vibrating, put a big splodge of copper grease on the back of each pad, then put them back in, take it for a spin to see if its helped. if not then you need to re-align your callier, just un do the mounting bolts a bit then spin the front wheel, and jiggle the calliper about a bit until it stops squeeling at you, then tighten it up, bit by bit, checking each time that you havent moved the calliper when tightening up...

i did mine again a few hours ago at the side of a canal, it was really winding me up, so i stopped and sorted it... after getting my finger mangled when i was doing the calliper jiggling bit :oops:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Firstly, sanding new pads is pointless, just bed them in properly.
    Secondly, 'big splodge of copper grease' won't work on a lot of pads due to the way they are fixed in, and the benefit is dubious to say the least.
    Thirdly No need for all the palaver to centre the callipers, just loosen them, squeeze the brakes, and hold the brake lever in while you tighten them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    got to agree with cooldad, sanding isnt pointless if you brakes have done a few hundred miles and are squeeking still, the pads could be pollished smooth so a buff with sandpapr can help in that instance but your brakes are new so need bedding in, also try what northernmonkey says, slacken the bolts on the calipers, squeeze brakes on, hold on, tighten bolts up, this should free your wheel alot!
  • Cog Head
    Cog Head Posts: 53
    well its worked for me and my old man for the last 20 odd years, so i wouldnt write it off as garbage :roll:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what copper paste.

causes more issues than it fixes on MTBs.

fine on cars and MCs but MTBs some brake makes even say DO NOT use any.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Cog Head wrote:
    well its worked for me and my old man for the last 20 odd years, so i wouldnt write it off as garbage :roll:

I would. It's only useful for taking the surface off glazed pads or trying to recondition contaminated pads, not fresh pads.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cog Head wrote:

You had a mountain bike with disc brakes 20 odd years ago? Really?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Had the same problem a couple of days ago when I dropped a new set of wheels in my hardtail, the hope hubs are a fraction wider than the shimano hubs that they replaced as a result the brakes were abismal, easy fix, just loosen the caliper bolts and try to centre by eye, spin and test, spin and test and dont drive your knuckels throuh the rotor, it will probably still touch at the odd point around the disc so just bend (tweak) the disc slightly with your fingers, job done.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Best thing I ever did to the hayes stroker on my old cube AMS was sticking them in the bin... (By bin I mean ebay) and buying some avid elixers.

Didnt like the strokers at all, the elixers transformed the bike