Drivetrain Problem

Blenderboy
Blenderboy Posts: 5
edited April 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My chain is doing this on a regular basis

imag0108k.jpg

It only happens in the two highest gears at the back on the middle ring, which I can always avoid, but it's not ideal, so it needs fixing. Indexing is fine, chain comes up as not worn with the measuring thingamajig, so I figure the middle ring needs replacing.

So, before I stump up the cash for new bits, is there anything else that could be causing the problem?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    worn rings,worn chain and i guess worn cassette.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Is it likely that I've worn all the rings, or just the one I'm having problems with?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you're only having problems with one, you've probably answered your own question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Small chainring looks worn too (the 'U' shape between the teeth are supposed to be 'U' shaped ;) ).
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • I'll leave the small one until it cause's me a problem. Thanks for the help!
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    Blenderboy wrote:
    I'll leave the small one until it cause's me a problem. Thanks for the help!

The risk you run leaving it until it causes a problem is that it if it's really worn, it can cause your chain to wear more quickly. If I was going to remove the crankset to replace the middle chainring, I would defintely spend a little more and replace a worn small ring at the same time.
  • Makes sense, and it's not like a granny ring costs that much. Then again, if I wanted to avoid spending money, I shouldn't have started this mtb nonsense in the first place!