keep losing my chain on minor decent!! HELP!!

armymankin
armymankin Posts: 213
edited April 2011 in MTB general
I have a XC type MTB, and i running on the SLX double chainset.
recently changed my chainring from 22/36 to 26/38, and also removed the bash guard. I have to say the 38t chainring is not a genuine Shimano one (Renthal SR4 chainring)

I notice that i lose the chain fairly easily on minor bumpy decent, even like just going down stairs case. Although I can recover it by shifting the front dérailleur to the smallest chainring, without getting off the bike and fiddle with it.

I wonder why that occurs and how may I solve it.
Is there something wrong with my setup? or is it because of the chainring?
ideally a chain guard should solve it, but putting it on an XC bike look silly, no?

thx

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit a 38T bash
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    could try a retention device like a blackspire stinger too, i like to use them on my double set ups.
  • armymankin
    nicklouse wrote:
    fit a 38T bash

does the bash help keeping the chain in?
  • armymankin
    could try a retention device like a blackspire stinger too, i like to use them on my double set ups.

I have seen people using chain device, but usually they are prone to DH'er
    you would hardly seen any trail / XC bike running the chain device. So, i assume they would not have the major problem of losing the chain, then why me?

would I need a new rear derailleur with a strong spring? :roll:
  • Same problem for me too mate.

bought a new bash and it flows like a dream. Problem solved :)
    2011 NS Core 2. Boing boing.
  • sheepsteeth
    armymankin wrote:

you would hardly seen any trail / XC bike running the chain device. So, i assume they would not have the major problem of losing the chain, then why me?

i have a regular x9 mech on my trail bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    armymankin wrote:

you would hardly seen any trail / XC bike running the chain device
    . So, i assume they would not have the major problem of losing the chain, then why me?

Not true. Triple set ups don't run them for obvious reasons but 2 and single often do - having said that I used to run a double set up without chainguide but with bash and it worked fine.
  • thepha5e
    thepha5e Posts: 118
    Maybe your chain is too slack? try running the chain round the biggest chainring and biggest cog on your cassette but not the rear mech, then add two full links. That length of chain is the correct chain length afaik. When/if your chain is the right length if your chain still falls off you could get a superstar double guide- just search that on Google or go to the superstar website to find it. Btw there's nothing wrong with using a chainguide on a xc bike- superstar make a xc guide, but thats for single ring bikes so won't work with yours.
    Hardcore hardtail:
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12830105

And a single speed commuter bike:
    viewtopic.php?t=12787405
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    armymankin wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    fit a 38T bash

does the bash help keeping the chain in?

yes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • armymankin
    edited April 2011
    mrfmilo wrote:
    armymankin wrote:

you would hardly seen any trail / XC bike running the chain device
    . So, i assume they would not have the major problem of losing the chain, then why me?

Not true. Triple set ups don't run them for obvious reasons but 2 and single often do - having said that I used to run a double set up without chainguide but with bash and it worked fine.

i mean, looking at XC race bike, they all do not run the chain device even they are running a double like Sram XX. best example is looking at the London XC Olympic videos, those rocky decent looks challenging enough but they do not need a chain device or bash to help.....

um... anything to do with front deraileur alignment? I have a X7 rear mech for few years... spring still strong i think (or how may i tell?)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can get by without a stinger, or similar, but since I've fitted mine I haven't dropped the chain a single time from the chainrings. It's totally bulletproof.
    Sheepsteeth HAS, because he's taken his bashguard off, so there's nothing to stop the chain slipping off the "middle" ring.
  • sheepsteeth
    Sheepsteeth HAS, because he's taken his bashguard off, so there's nothing to stop the chain slipping off the "middle" ring.

that was actually because i hadnt adjusted my mech stops correctly (or at all infact :oops: ) after removing the big ring , since i did adjust them though, i havent dropped a chain again.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'd say it's probably the chain that's too long. You shouldn't need a device on something you're classing as minor (unless you're a riding God of course). I'd try, first of all, to take a couple of links out.
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Put the 36T bashguard you have back on. I've no problems using a 36T bashguard with a 38T chainring on my downhill bike. The lower roller guide would be my next move after that.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • armymankin
    Atz wrote:
    I'd say it's probably the chain that's too long. You shouldn't need a device on something you're classing as minor (unless you're a riding God of course). I'd try, first of all, to take a couple of links out.

um, maybe i will try that. thx
    but shouldn't the rear mech retention the slack and keep them tight?
  • armymankin wrote:
    Atz wrote:

um, maybe i will try that. thx
    but shouldn't the rear mech retention the slack and keep them tight?

It will keep it tight enough that it doesn't pop off if the chain is the right link. Just check the chain length, and adjust accordingly.